IGNORED

I won a match against my nemesis (kinda long I'm excited)

Norm66
Note: This thread is 6012 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This guy who I've golfed with a lot this summer has been playing for 20 years or so while I've been golfing a little over a year. He's consistently beaten me by ten strokes on average almost every time we've played. The only time I'd won all year was a day when we played 27 holes and he just wasn't hitting the ball well.

Yesterday was our final after-work 18 of the year due to the time change this weekend. We left work a little early, got to the course at 2:00pm and found out the course closed at 5:00 due to Halloween. There were groups lined up on #1 and nobody coming up #9 so we decided to start on the back, match-play so we could get 18 in before five o'clock.

I was down two holes after three, tied it up after five took a one-hole lead on 8 and we were all square after 9. There were people lined up on #1 again and again, nobody coming up #9 so we played the back again. I finally got a lead on 15 but was back one down on 17. I made a great tee-shot cutting the corner on a 418 yard dogleg left so I had about 130 left for a second and parred to his bogey squaring it up for 18. My buddy had the honor and proceeded to slam his tee-shot OB into some lady's zebra grass. I smiled and put my driver away in favor of my ever- straight 3wood. hehehe I made bogey to his double and won the match. Woohoo!

This is only the second time I've ever played match play and have to say it's a very different game. The pressure situations are more spread out over the round and one bad hole doesn't necessarily take you out of the match like it can in stroke play. Thanks for reading along.

This is only the second time I've ever played match play and have to say it's a very different game. The pressure situations are more spread out over the round and one bad hole doesn't necessarily take you out of the match like it can in stroke play. Thanks for reading along.

Congrats on your win!

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Every once in a while, I get to beat my nemesis. I call him Dad and even though he is 50 years old, he still beats me like I stole something.

Hi-Bore XLS Tour Driver
Steelhead III: 3 Wood
Bobby Jones Jesse Ortiz Hybrid
i3+: 3-9 Irons
Vokey Black Nickel: PW, 52, 56, 60 Bettinardi A-02 Putter NXT Tour

...I smiled and put my driver away in favor of my ever- straight 3wood....

Match play at its finest. Beautiful, congratulations!

Follow my 2nd journey down the road to becoming a professional golfer at http://paperhogan.blogspot.com.

G10 - 9 degree, UST V2
906F4 - YS-6+
690.CB - 2-PW Tour 52 degree GW 588 Satin SW Newport 2 Oilcan

• Administrator
I made a great tee-shot cutting the corner on a 418 yard dogleg left so I had about 130 left for a second and parred to his bogey squaring it up for 18. My buddy had the honor and proceeded to slam his tee-shot OB into some lady's zebra grass.

How could your buddy have the honor if you had the lower score on the previous hole?

It seems you allowed him to play out of turn.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

How could your buddy have the honor if you had the lower score on the previous hole?

Thanks guys, it was fun.

To answer Erik, I was off in the woods taking a leak and we were playing ready-golf trying to get in before the course closed at 5:00. Don't tell the officials, we both might get disqualified. ;^)

• 2 weeks later...
You have a Nemesis? That's so cool. I gotta get me one.

Brad Eisenhauer

In my bag:
Driver: Callaway Hyper X 10° | Fairway Wood: GigaGolf PowerMax GX920 3W (15°) | Hybrid: GigaGolf PowerMax GX920 3 (20°)
Irons: Mizuno MX-25 4-PW | Wedges: GigaGolf Tradition SGS Black 52°, 56°, 60° | Putter: GigaGolf CenterCut Classic SP3

Ball: Titleist ProV1x or Bridgestone B330S

I always play match play with my buddy, we also play double or nothing on the 18th hole to make things interesting especially if he's up by too much this give me a last chance to even up the score.

Its fun when either one of us, who happens to be behind in the match will make a long putt for birdie to win the 18th hole and even out the match.

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

Note: This thread is 6012 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!