IGNORED

My Swing (gantoise)

gantoise
Note: This thread is 2973 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: Exactly 2 months
My current handicap index or average score is: No handicap yet / Practice range only
My typical ball flight is: All over the place, but most of the time it's a fade
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: slice

So I finally decided to take up golf (exactly 2 months ago today). I took 3 lessons with my local pro and my swing has changed drastically over this short period. I used to play fieldhockey at a decent level (it's not a girly sport where I come from), but decided to stop and try out golf. One of my best friends is a +handicapper, who needed a caddy at a local tournament and asked me to do it. Immediately fell in love with the sport and that's that...

Below you can find a video I recorded yesterday (short iron). I'll ask someone to take better videos but for now that's all I have.

Any suggestions/remarks about my swing would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry in advance for my English.

Videos: 

Edited by gantoise

I think the video is too much in silhouette and at a bad angle to see anything.

Note: I do not answer direct questions or points raised against my untested and unproven theories, have no history of teaching anyone, and post essentially the same nonsense in everyone's Member Swing threads.

Welcome to the site @gantoise, recommend you take a look at the following thread and video. With your posture, your back is too straight and you need to get your eyes looking more "down".

Keep that upper right arm "pressure point" more in front of your shirt seam. Will create less compensations on the downswing.

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thank you @mvmac for the time and and effort you put into analysing my swing.

The reason I have my chin up is because last week I just couldn't make decent contact with the ball with my chin tucked in and decided to keep my head up more, which made a nice difference. I'm currently at a stage in which my swing changes almost daily, because I try out lots of different things to see what works. 

As for the second part of your post: my local pro gave me the golf swing shirt to use when I'm on the driving range, which prevents me from taking my right elbow too far back.

I will go to the driving range this evening to try and work on what you have said, and record one or two (hopefully better) swings. 

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to record 3 more swings (all of them DTL, because that's the only place I can setup my phone decently). Will have to ask someone to film from the other perspective as well in the near future, but I don't know too many people at the club just yet...

In this new video I tried to keep my right elbow a bit more tucked in, and tried to start my downswing a bit more from my lowerbody (if that makes any sense?)

Just see for yourself:

So, I still have the problem that I slice my ball, especially with long irons, hybrids and driver I'm having difficulties with not being able to produce a nice draw or straight shot. 

Edited by gantoise

1 hour ago, gantoise said:

I managed to record 3 more swings (all of them DTL, because that's the only place I can setup my phone decently). Will have to ask someone to film from the other perspective as well in the near future, but I don't know too many people at the club just yet...

In this new video I tried to keep my right elbow a bit more tucked in, and tried to start my downswing a bit more from my lowerbody (if that makes any sense?)

Just see for yourself:

So, I still have the problem that I slice my ball, especially with long irons, hybrids and driver I'm having difficulties with not being able to produce a nice draw or straight shot. 

Elbow looks to still be well behind you at the top of the backswing. A good "feel" is to try and feel like you're keeping your right and left elbow as close together as possible during the backswing. They will naturally separate some during the backswing but the idea will help you get that elbow in a much better position.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

• 4 months later...

After some months of inactivity due to the weather, I've been practicing a lot lately. Mostly trying to hit the driver (still very inconsistent). Here's the result:

Driver full speed - bad angle:

6 iron slomo:

Advice, criticism, thoughts, ... are much appreciated!

• Administrator

Consider posting elsewhere, too, please. People are more likely to help.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 2973 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!