IGNORED

Cruising

LagShaft
Note: This thread is 3052 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Anyone else remember dragging main.  My class was one of the last ones allowed to before the police cracked down on my town.  But there were a lot of memories left on that brick road in the middle of town and other towns for that matter.  Kids could stand out or blend in to their choosing but still be a part of the whole.  Old cars fixed up by the Kid and his Dad, Brand new rides, Total POS cars with sweet stereo systems that could bounce a beer can on the roof,  Convertables and Jeeps.  My first experience with the law was in a "66 Cadillac limousine with the windows dark.  We had a pony keg in the trunk with a hose run through the seat to the inside and enough fireworks to alert homelands security. My attourney asked me why we didn't include a sign on the side that said bust me.  But we had a lot of fun.  This article reminded me of some of the good times.

http://kcur.org/post/hey-small-town-kansas-what-ever-happened-cruising#stream/0

So what are some of your stories?

Edited by LagShaft

18 minutes ago, LagShaft said:

Anyone else remember dragging main.  My class was one of the last ones allowed to before the police cracked down on my town.  But there were a lot of memories left on that brick road in the middle of town and other towns for that matter.  Kids could stand out or blend in to their choosing but still be a part of the whole.  Old cars fixed up by the Kid and his Dad, Brand new rides, Total POS cars with sweet stereo systems that could bounce a beer can on the roof,  Convertables and Jeeps.  My first experience with the law was in a "66 Cadillac limousine with the windows dark.  We had a pony keg in the trunk with a hose run through the seat to the inside and enough fireworks to alert homelands security. My attourney asked me why we didn't include a sign on the side that said bust me.  But we had a lot of fun.  This article reminded me of some of the good times.

http://kcur.org/post/hey-small-town-kansas-what-ever-happened-cruising#stream/0

So what are some of your stories?

This post reads like the lyrics to a lost Bruce Springsteen or John Mellencamp song, haha

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My buddies and I used to cruise all of the time.  Those were great times. We had the circuit we would cruise between a couple of towns that had all merged together.  I'm older but graduated mid 70s.  Still, the Beach Boy's music was kind of making a comeback and so, we would play Beach Boys, Lynard Skynard, REO Speedwagon, Led Zepplin, and some Eagles.  All of those places are torn down now.  Progress I guess. 

Darrell Butler

Coach (me) to player, "Hey, what percentage of putts left short never go in?"  Player, "Coach, 100% of putts left short never go in."  Coach (me), "Exactly."  Player, "Coach what percentage of putts that go long never go in."  LOL!

I still cruise.  Usually from golf course to golf course.  However back in the day we cruised Fremont St in Vegas. When our parents moved us north it was Burnside and Broadway in Portland. Had a CJ 5 Jeep and aPlymouth GTX. The GTX was magnet for the Ladies back then. It also had a decent size back seat. :whistle:

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

2 hours ago, dkolo said:

This post reads like the lyrics to a lost Bruce Springsteen or John Mellencamp song, haha

A lot like that actually.  

1 hour ago, Patch said:

I still cruise.  Usually from golf course to golf course.  However back in the day we cruised Fremont St in Vegas. When our parents moved us north it was Burnside and Broadway in Portland. Had a CJ 5 Jeep and aPlymouth GTX. The GTX was magnet for the Ladies back then. It also had a decent size back seat. :whistle:

The golf course does have some similarities to Main Street but the lack of a back seat in the golf cart is a bummer.

The flaw, as I see it, with cruising is that you don't have enough space to enjoy what the vehicle can do. Winding mountain roads are quite a bit of fun though, with straight sections followed by tight curves.

I cruised the drag on Central Avenue in Great Falls, Montana in the 60's - about 13 blocks from the RR depot to 13th St, with occasional detours to Ford's drive-in on the west end or Boyd's Burgermaster on the east.  I had a '63 Impala 4 door hardtop.  Buddies had '64 Buick Skylark 2 door HT, '55 Chevy, '64 Impala, 67 El Camino, etc.  

Oddest rides while cruising: 

I remember one friend was building a dune buggy - cut the body off a VW bug except for just enough left to hold up the windshield.  We cruised in that one night.  He never finished the project.

Another time we cruised in an early 60's Mercedes Benz Touring Car.  That thing had enough room in the back seat for me to stretch out my 6'2" and not even touch the front seat.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I working on a 77 Camaro right now so that I can get to cruise in it.  My dad was born in '66 and is a serious hot rodder.  He has built many camaros and novas.  His current build is a 68 C10 shortbed.  He is helping me a lot with my car.  He is one of the best body men I have ever seen.  Crazy skills.

:callaway: Mens Strata Plus set

Protected by Ruger firearms.

If you hear my shot, I wasnt aiming at you

Note: This thread is 3052 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!