IGNORED

TaylorMade Speedblades and Callaway X series N415 irons

Dsavin
Note: This thread is 2929 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi all,

Trying to decide between Taylor Made Speedblades and Callway x series N415 irons. Both felt as good as the other during fitting, what's the con census on these irons?

thanks

10 minutes ago, Dsavin said:

Hi all,

Trying to decide between Taylor Made Speedblades and Callaway x series N415 irons. Both felt as good as the other during fitting, what's the con census on these irons?

thanks

Any of the Callaway clubs with an N in the name are specifically made for the big box stores and may not be of the same build quality as their regular line up.

• Upvote 1

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

26 minutes ago, SavvySwede said:

Any of the Callaway clubs with an N in the name are specifically made for the big box stores and may not be of the same build quality as their regular line up.

Taylormade is putting out a similar HL version of its Speedblades as well, so it's something to be mindful of. They don't make it particularly obvious sometimes. Golfsmith was selling a cheap version of the Nike Covert 2.0s over Black Friday and weren't making it clear at all that it wasn't the main production model from 2014 but a cheap second-run.

43 minutes ago, Dsavin said:

Hi all,

Trying to decide between Taylor Made Speedblades and Callway x series N415 irons. Both felt as good as the other during fitting, what's the con census on these irons?

thanks

If the option is between Speedblades and the N415s, and price isn't a big difference, Speedblades all the way. I have one of their 6 irons and it's a wonderful club. The N415s are part of an effort by Callaway to repurpose the branding of their successful iron models by selling what amounts to a self-knockoff with less build quality and less advanced tech, often with weaker lofts and more offset. I own a model like this, the Callaway X-24 that they sold through Costco. It plays fine and I like them a great deal, but there's no formal resale value and you can tell they cut corners in their manufacturing (edges aren't beveled, paint is a bit iffy in places, finish isn't as durable). Meanwhile, Speedblades are awesome. As long as they're true Speedblades and not the HL version.

• Upvote 1

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

14 minutes ago, Dsavin said:

Thanks for your response, much appreciated. I thought the HL was just High Launch?

It is. But it's also a value repackaged offering. Generally for the HLs, Taylormade adds loft and makes them less pretty. You can see how plain the design of the back is: the TM badge isn't recessed, the edges aren't beveled, it lacks the notch for custom-fitting loft and lie angles., etc. For the previous Rocketbladez HL, they even took out the Speed Pockets. I think that's also the case with the Speed Blades HL, but I'm not 100% because I can't find a good picture online offhand. You'll get probably a fine club, but it's not the main model with all the tech that comes with it. Think of it as the difference between the iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C: it's lesser tech put into a cheaper package to hit a price point without undermining the flagship brand's reputation.

• Upvote 1

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

(edited)
9 minutes ago, dkolo said:

It is. But it's also a value repackaged offering. Generally for the HLs, Taylormade adds loft and makes them less pretty. You can see how plain the design of the back is: the TM badge isn't recessed, the edges aren't beveled, it lacks the notch for custom-fitting loft and lie angles., etc. For the previous Rocketbladez HL, they even took out the Speed Pockets. I think that's also the case with the Speed Blades HL, but I'm not 100% because I can't find a good picture online offhand. You'll get probably a fine club, but it's not the main model with all the tech that comes with it. Think of it as the difference between the iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C: it's lesser tech put into a cheaper package to hit a price point without undermining the flagship brand's reputation.

That's a really good answer and makes a lot of sense.  In fact at the point of my game I'm content with HL or X for the price. Second question is which would you recommend between Taylor Made and Callaway? I'm also buying a tight lies 2 19 degree hybrid. The TM set doesn't have a SW which would leave me without that club for a few months until I buy my wedge set - should that be a good enough reason to buy the Calloway instead though... I play weekly. (I think I know the answer)

Edited by Dsavin

4 minutes ago, Dsavin said:

That's a really good answer and makes a lot of sense.  In fact at the point of my game I'm content with HL or X for the price. Second question is which would you recommend between Taylor Made and Callaway? I'm also buying a tight lies 2 19 degree hybrid. The TM set doesn't have a SW which would leave me without that club for a few months until I buy my wedge set - should that be a good enough reason to buy the Calloway instead though... I play weekly. (I think I know the answer)

Just use your old sandwedge for the time being. You'll want a buy a real wedge instead of the "11 iron" that comes with the regular set anyway.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Dsavin said:

Out of curiosity, how much are the sets you're looking at? I ask because Callaway Preowned is a great option, especially now that their iron sale is going on. They sell used (still very good condition) as well as never hit clubs (basically, the display models that get shipped back or extra inventory) for really good prices, and with warranty. And you'd be buying the real deal. Same with Taylormade Preowned. Unless you're getting custom fit for the HL or N14s, those might be better values. I just bought a brand new hybrid, never hit, not a scuff from them for $78 (the Callaway XR) over Black Friday. It's still on the shelves at Golfsmith for $200. 

Also @SavvySwede is right; the wedges that come with irons are pretty lousy. Taylormade is at least trying by making their bladed. But you're better off buying anything else, especially for a SW.

• Upvote 1

Dom's Sticks:

3 minutes ago, dkolo said:

Out of curiosity, how much are the sets you're looking at? I ask because Callaway Preowned is a great option, especially now that their iron sale is going on. They sell used (still very good condition) as well as never hit clubs (basically, the display models that get shipped back or extra inventory) for really good prices, and with warranty. And you'd be buying the real deal. Same with Taylormade Preowned. Unless you're getting custom fit for the HL or N14s, those might be better values. I just bought a brand new hybrid, never hit, not a scuff from them for $78 (the Callaway XR) over Black Friday. It's still on the shelves at Golfsmith for $200. 

Also @SavvySwede is right; the wedges that come with irons are pretty lousy. Taylormade is at least trying by making their bladed. But you're better off buying anything else, especially for a SW.

So I'm getting custom fit for whichever one I get, there £275

36 minutes ago, Dsavin said:

So I'm getting custom fit for whichever one I get, there £275

OK gotcha. My price references for the UK aren't calibrated that well. If you're getting them fit to you then that'll be the bigger driver of your performance realistically. 

Dom's Sticks:

• iacas changed the title to Callaway vs TaylorMade
56 minutes ago, dkolo said:

Out of curiosity, how much are the sets you're looking at? I ask because Callaway Preowned is a great option, especially now that their iron sale is going on. They sell used (still very good condition) as well as never hit clubs (basically, the display models that get shipped back or extra inventory) for really good prices, and with warranty. And you'd be buying the real deal. Same with Taylormade Preowned. Unless you're getting custom fit for the HL or N14s, those might be better values. ...

As others have said, these irons are not first-line irons. Both are in what's called the legacy category - first-line models reloaded with a generic club mix and no options as far as shaft choice goes.. The Callaway X series N415 (or N15 in one place) is a reload of the X.Hot design - Callaway already has the R&D done on it, and by having just one shaft and the same club mix can can offer a sturdy club at a lower price.

(Historic note: the N stands for "new grooves," which is a bit silly, because all conforming clubs made since 2010 have the "new grooves.")

The SpeedBlades HL is also in legacy status, - no longer listed on the main TaylorMade site for current irons. SLDRs are the most mature iron still on the main TM site.

The chances of getting custom-fitted for the HL or N14s before you buy them is limited, other than tweaking lie angle, shaft length and grip thickness. Both offer a fixed set with the same mix: 4-PW + AW, with Uniflex as the only shaft option (between regular and stiff). Both are priced at $399, to hit below the $400 price point. Possibly in UK you can get some after-fitting.

If you hit them OK and get decent launch numbers, they could work for you. But, as @dkolo said, the Preowned for either Callaway or TM would match the price, if you can  and give you more variety to choose from. You would need to determine how much taxes and import duties would add to your price.

• Upvote 1

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

49 minutes ago, WUTiger said:

As others have said, these irons are not first-line irons. Both are in what's called the legacy category - first-line models reloaded with a generic club mix and no options as far as shaft choice goes.. The Callaway X series N415 (or N15 in one place) is a reload of the X.Hot design - Callaway already has the R&D done on it, and by having just one shaft and the same club mix can can offer a sturdy club at a lower price.

(Historic note: the N stands for "new grooves," which is a bit silly, because all conforming clubs made since 2010 have the "new grooves.")

The SpeedBlades HL is also in legacy status, - no longer listed on the main TaylorMade site for current irons. SLDRs are the most mature iron still on the main TM site.

The chances of getting custom-fitted for the HL or N14s before you buy them is limited, other than tweaking lie angle, shaft length and grip thickness. Both offer a fixed set with the same mix: 4-PW + AW, with Uniflex as the only shaft option (between regular and stiff). Both are priced at $399, to hit below the $400 price point. Possibly in UK you can get some after-fitting.

If you hit them OK and get decent launch numbers, they could work for you. But, as @dkolo said, the Preowned for either Callaway or TM would match the price, if you can  and give you more variety to choose from. You would need to determine how much taxes and import duties would add to your price.

Hmm... I thought the N originally came from the N14 Driver which was the "Nonadjustable" version of the X Hot Driver. Perhaps Callaway makes it mean whatever they like for the given situation?

48 minutes ago, SavvySwede said:

Hmm... I thought the N originally came from the N14 Driver which was the "Nonadjustable" version of the X Hot Driver. Perhaps Callaway makes it mean whatever they like for the given situation?

I thought it stood for "No, you should just buy the XR irons from CallawayGolfPreowned.com for the same price"

• Upvote 1

Dom's Sticks:

3 hours ago, SavvySwede said:

I fear we may both be right, depending on year.

I'll have to get an update from the regional Callaway guy at spring demo day.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

• mvmac changed the title to Taylor Made Speedblades and Callaway X series N415 irons
  • 2 weeks later...

others have said to check calloway preowned . i just bought a set of big bertha irons from them and there great . i got the like new condition, 4-aw for almost half of what the  new set would cost.. and they look almost brand new, you really have to look close to tell . plus you know they will not be counterfeit . just something to think about  more options for you. also they all came with new grips. i got them during a 30 % off sale not sure how often they have sales but may be worth it to wait . if you want to try this route .

• iacas changed the title to TaylorMade Speedblades and Callaway X series N415 irons
  • 2 months later...
Note: This thread is 2929 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!