IGNORED

Putter Re-grip

Note: This thread is 2958 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Well, today I regripped my putter.  Last year, after a little testing, I went with the Super Stroke 3.0.  It felt great, seemed to be really easy to make a good stroke, but in the end, I didn't putt as well with it, day in and day out.  Particularly the shorter putts, from about 4 feet in.  I have always been pretty good with those.  I'd maybe have an occasional off day - that happens to everyone, but as a rule they don't really scare me.  Last year that changed, and the only thing I can link it to is the grip.  

Almost all of my misses were left, and by as much as 2-3 inches from 4 feet.  I had to actually aim deliberately what I knew was right of the proper line to start the ball on that line, and that was making me question my setup on every putt.  Totally unacceptable.

So now I'm back to a standard putter grip, just  cheapo black Golf Pride.  I'm going to play tomorrow and test it out and find out if my theory is right.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Update with your testing.  I was thinking about picking up the 3.0 as well for my putter.

Driver: Nike SasQuatch 460 Tour Graphite
Irons: Titleist CB 712 Dynamic Gold
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX Black Pearl Steel Wedge 50° and 54°, Cleveland 588 RTG 60°
Putter: Nike Method Matter M4-12

18 holes in and the results are positive.  If nothing changes, and I don't really expect it to, this is the best decision I've made in some time.  While I did have two 3 putts today, that was partly because the greens had been sanded, only with gravel instead of sand.  They were full of BB sized pebbles mixed in with the sand, which made holding any kind of a line a bit of a crap shoot.  I even closed out the round by holing a 12 footer with about a foot of break for a birdie.  

One thing that I was grateful for was that I was back in my old rhythm and feel for the club.  There was no apparent transition period - it was as if I'd never even used the SS grip.  I'm totally satisfied with the change.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 2958 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!