IGNORED

Need help figuring out PUTTS PER HOLE...

jcard71
Note: This thread is 6003 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I just joined this website called www.oobgolf.com where you can keep track of all your golfing data.

I was wondering what is the correct way to calculate putts per hole?

So if I'm just off the green and I elect to putt as opposed to chip am I supposed to count that as a putt because I could have also used a 7 iron to bump and run it to the hole..

What's the correct way to score that?

I just joined this website called

Nope.

Even if you elect to putt from the fringe (or anywhere else off the green), it does not count as a putt. Only a putt struck on the actual surface of the green is a putt. A lot of times you'll see pros putt from off the green and take two more on the actual green surface (technically a two-putt), but the commentators will say "he's going to feel like that's a three-putt," even though technically it isn't.

Cleveland Launcher Comp, 9.5* stiff
TaylorMade V-Steel, T/S stiff
Cleveland Halo, 19* stiff
Mizuno MP-32, stiff
Cleveland 588 Gunmetal, 51*Cleveland 588 DSG RTG, 56*Scotty Cameron Newport II

Great, appreciate your help! I've been giving myself alot more 3 putts than I should...

Exactly! I three putt enough without any help

Mizuno MP-32, stiff

I count a putt whenever the ball is on the putting surface. It's easy to figure out exactly where that is and the times you are on the fringe and cannot decide if a putt or a chip shot is needed you will go with the club best suited for the shot rather than the club suited for the statistic.

Ok so far...
but then my question is, what should be counted as shortgame?

In my Bag:

Driver: Taylormade R7 425 10,5°, Graphite Design Purple Ice 85 Regular
#3 Wood: Taylormade R7 Steel 15°, RE*AX 70 Stiff

#4 Rescue: Taylormade Rescue Hybrid 09 22°, RE*AX 65 Stiff
3-PW Irons: MP-32 ProjectX 6.0
Wedges: MP-T Black Nickel 51.6 and 56.14 Spinner Rifle Shafts
Putter: Studio Style Newport 2.5 35''

Golfclub Schloss Myllendonk (Par 72, CR 72,9, Slope 134)

Ok so far...

Here is the thing bout counting putts per hole. Personally, I count puts from fringe as putts because I feel it gives a more accurate representation of my putting that way.

Basically, if I am 10 ft from the Pin, but 1 inch on the fringe and it takes two strokes to get the ball in the hole from there, what is more accurate of your putting success? Saying you had 1 or 2 putts? I cant answer the shortgame question as I have asked the same and found a lot of different opinions on it. Some say within 30 yds some 50yds. Some even 75. *Note this is for personal stats only, for league and tourney play I obviously go by the exact rule but keep my notes on the side

I always thought a "putt" was any hit (with any club), or a swing and a miss, from the putting green for the hole on which you are playing. I would also say that any penalty stroke taken while on the putting surface should be classed as a putt for the same reason as a whiff (like the classic double penalty for moving the ball and then failing to replace it before hitting it).

Thus, something like a Michelson flop shot played off one part of a green to another to avoid some obstacle was still a "putt", but lets say you miss the green entirely but land on another green and choose to hit the ball from there, then that is not a "putt" because its is not the green for the hole you are playing.

I would also guess that a shot hit with a putter from the wrong end of a double green is not a "putt" as you are not on the proper "green".

Does anyone know the record for lowest numer of putts in a PGA tour event? Its probably less than 18.

2007 Yamaha Cart
TaylorMade R7 460 Superquad Driver, 10.5, Reg flex (RF)
Taylormade R7 Titanium 3,5 & 7 Fairway woods RF
PING Rapture irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, graphite RF
Odyssey White Hot Two Ball putter Ping Cart Bag, Pioneer in Atomic OrangeNow playing Titleist Pro V1x balls

I would also like to see some definition of "shortgame". I would say that if you drew a circle with a center in the exact middle of the green so that it included all greenside bunkers/traps and then there was at least 5 yards outside of the farest trap edge from the green, then you are definitely in shortgame territory. But for me its anywhere outside the greenside traps and bunkers where I cannot hit a full swing with any club (flops excluded) without being too long.

Maybe "shortgame" is simply anywhere near the green where you cannot take a full swing with any club, plus flops?

2007 Yamaha Cart
TaylorMade R7 460 Superquad Driver, 10.5, Reg flex (RF)
Taylormade R7 Titanium 3,5 & 7 Fairway woods RF
PING Rapture irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, graphite RF
Odyssey White Hot Two Ball putter Ping Cart Bag, Pioneer in Atomic OrangeNow playing Titleist Pro V1x balls

Here is the thing bout counting putts per hole. Personally, I count puts from fringe as putts because I feel it gives a more accurate representation of my putting that way.

So if you are playing a par4 and get on the fringe with 2nd (and then putt) would you consider the hole as GIR?

In my Bag:

Big Bertha 460 11* Driver
Big Bertha 3 Wood
Staff Hybrid 21* Staff Hybrid 24* Big Bertha 08 5-SW Irons Lob Wedge Vokey Oil Can 60* Newport 2 Studio Style Putter Balls

You can do that, of course, but that's not the way it's officially counted/scored. I just don't want the original poster to be confused.

Officially a putt is only a putt if it's on the putting surface.

Mizuno MP-32, stiff

So if you are playing a par4 and get on the fringe with 2nd (and then putt) would you consider the hole as GIR?

Nope. Fringe is fringe, green is green.

Mizuno MP-32, stiff

I just joined this website called

Here's how I count it....if I hit it with a putter, it's a putt. My preference is to chip, it's often difficult to judge speed going through 3 or more feet of fringe.

The PGA Tour keeps a stat for it's players called 'putts per G.I.R.' or some such. I count all putts and if it's under 30 I've usually had a good round.

Driver: Ping Rapture 9*
3metal: Titleist 904F 15*
Hybrids: Adams Idea 18* and 20*
Irons: Titleist 690CB (4-PW)
Wedgies: Titleist Oil Can 54* and 58*Putter: Ping AllyBall: Pro V1x

I personally DO for ME but not for my league since the league rules go by USGA/PGA rules of golf. Again I feel it more closley represents the way I am playing and hitting the ball.

Take this round for examle, I shot 75, going by the rules of golf I took 22 putts, hit 4 greens. You look at this round and say, wow, he must have had a great chipping and putting round. In reality, I shot 75, 22 putts but I had 8 greens I hit that were "fringe greens" So personally for my records I hit 12 greens and took 30 putts. A more accurate representation of my round since I hit the ball fairly decent, I just happened to catch the fringe a lot. In actuality I didnt putt 22 putts good, but I did putt well overall except a couple of holes. Maybe I should create a whole new category called fringe putts or something. I dont keep my stats to pump up my ego or anything though, I keep them so I can look at them and learn from them and see where my weak points are statistically so I can try and get better at those parts. Which I'm sure is the reasno most people keep them. In the grand scheme of things this bumps up my GIR a % or two but also bumps up my PPGIR and PP Round too. I have this discussion with a few playing parters proably once a year and it always comes down to your personal preference, why you keep the stat in the first place. I dont keep it so I can win low putts in my league, I keep it so I can see how well I am putting, driving the ball, etc. I also picked up a skycaddie this week and next year I am going to chart distances for as many shots as possible so I can dial in my yardages better, esp my wedges.

In the grand scheme of things this bumps up my GIR a % or two

A % or two? It doubles it (at least in that example it did).

I just wanted to give the OP a clear answer as per the rules of golf. A few people seem to have their own personal twist, but as per the Rules of Golf, a fringe ain't a green and a putt from the fringe (or anywhere else off the green) ain't a putt. Just want to keep it clear for the OP.

Mizuno MP-32, stiff

You can do that, of course, but that's not the way it's officially counted/scored. I just don't want the original poster to be confused.

Yes of course, to clarify, this is the way I DO IT, for my PERSONAL REFERENCE and for my personal reasons already stated.

Note: This thread is 6003 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!