IGNORED

My Swing (rstmade)

rstmade
Note: This thread is 3018 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: Off and on 3 years
My current handicap index or average score is: 105
My typical ball flight is: High
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Hitting behind the ball and slices

Any advice or drills based on my swing would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Videos: 

Edited by rstmade

Welcome @rstmade to TST. You have a pretty good swing for some shooting in the 100's. I like a lot of the pieces of your swing. But to give you the best diagnosis I need a down the line version of your swing.

I see something in the face on version you provided. But to truly say what is causing it I need to see a down the line version. 

What I see is you are releasing the wrists too soon in the downswing. This causes you to hit it fat and probably a cause of the slice. 

Screen Shot 2016-06-09 at 2.51.59 PM.png

Here is what happens by impact, you have let the club head pass the hands.

Screen Shot 2016-06-09 at 2.53.15 PM.png

I think this is happening because you are letting the club get behind you in the backswing, but I can't be sure. 

I also recommend you watch this video because if my hunch is correct your right elbow is getting beyond where it should leading to the cast.

Post a DTL swing and I could be more sure.

P.S. you could also move the ball a little further up in your stance, but we can get to that later.

Michael

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/9/2016 at 6:02 PM, mchepp said:

Welcome @rstmade to TST. You have a pretty good swing for some shooting in the 100's. I like a lot of the pieces of your swing. But to give you the best diagnosis I need a down the line version of your swing.

I see something in the face on version you provided. But to truly say what is causing it I need to see a down the line version. 

What I see is you are releasing the wrists too soon in the downswing. This causes you to hit it fat and probably a cause of the slice. 

Screen Shot 2016-06-09 at 2.51.59 PM.png

Here is what happens by impact, you have let the club head pass the hands.

Screen Shot 2016-06-09 at 2.53.15 PM.png

I think this is happening because you are letting the club get behind you in the backswing, but I can't be sure. 

I also recommend you watch this video because if my hunch is correct your right elbow is getting beyond where it should leading to the cast.

Post a DTL swing and I could be more sure.

P.S. you could also move the ball a little further up in your stance, but we can get to that later.

Hey, I have been working on the suggestions above and have taken a video from behind. Anymore helpful tips? Thanks

@rstmade I am happy to provide some more thoughts, but as a general rule we would like people to post elsewhere on the forum in order to contribute their knowledge to the community rather than just posting in your own swing thread and taking information. 

In summary I see two thing that are concerning. One, you are rolling your forearms to start your backswing. When you do this you are opening the club face. Once open it is hell to try and close again so your bodies reaction is to throw the club head at the ball really early in your downswing. This will lead to fat and generally inconsistent shots. 

-To fix this you need to keep the back of you left wrist pointed at the ball for as long as you can.

You also swing too long as I suspected in the first post.Best to swing with tees under your arms to avoid swinging too far back. 

Like I said, I can do some more pictures and offer more thoughts, but get yourself an avatar and post around the forum and I'll help out.

Thanks.

Michael

• Administrator
On June 21, 2016 at 8:18 PM, rstmade said:

Please don't remove videos.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 3018 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!