IGNORED

My Swing (curtanderse)

curtanderse
Note: This thread is 3013 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 25 years
My current handicap index or average score is: 15
My typical ball flight is: High ball flight for irons - i can hit a 4 iron same height as most people hit a 7 iron. I lose distance compared to others, but it's been my normal ball flight for years. 
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: I can't get off the tee box lately. At the range, things look OK but on the course, i'm all over the place on drives. My common miss is a snap hook or a push/slice. I'm wondering if it possible that my Aldila Rogue 70 S shaft should be an XS instead and the clubhead isn't in the right spot? I tried playing with a newer M2 driver the other day w/ same stiff shaft - hit a couple good shots when i felt like i was swinging slow, but then when i tried to add a little extra power, i started missing pretty badly again...? I played in highschool and was down to a 3 handicap - have traditionally had no problems with swing but past two years i just can't shake the shanks... I also don't play too often, but very frustrated. 

I have not been fitted for a driver so i'm not sure what my swing speed is, however a couple years ago being fitted for Ping i15 irons they suggested XS iron shafts and i believe my swing was somewhere around 110/115. 

Let me know your thoughts. I appreciate the insight!! (and my first post btw!)

Videos: 

Snap Hook (4-5 of these per round): 

Push/Slice (immediately following snap hook shot above - also fairly common for me lately): 

Welcome @curtanderse to TST. I am happy to see another PNW'ner. Thing about your swings is they are at an angle which is difficult to give you advice from. Basically the angle you took the swing from adds perspective issues which can lead to mistakes. Here is a great article on how to film your swing so that we can provide some feedback to you. 

https://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/filming_your_swing

Michael

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks! Let me try to get another perspective for you. The problem is mostly when I'm on the course (which makes me think it probably has to do with swinging to hard or the opposite of not having a stiffer shaft to support the harder swing vs. being on the range). I'll try to repeat the problem and post a couple more videos after seeing the how-to link. Thanks!

I filmed a few more videos, all following the guidelines as best as i could. I'm uploading a few videos below: two with a 7-iron, both of which were good shots in my mind. I also filmed four driver shots - one was a hook and one was a push/slice. I couldn't remember exactly what happened with the ball in the other ones unfortunately. 

Something i noticed after doing this, it looks like my wrists are turning very early and my club is almost straight up and down when i get to my right leg. I've always played the ball a littler further back in my stance and hit a ton of spin/really high ball flight. Wondering if this is the reason? I'm not necessarily interested in changing my iron swing - i hit the ball well enough to be comfortable with that swing, however i want to try and be more consistent (or consistent at all) off the tee box. Would really be interested in exercises or things i can do to correct?

I also noticed with the driver that i'm overswinging a bit compared to the 7-iron, going well past parallel. 

- 7 iron back

7 iron front

Driver back - Hook

Driver Front - good shot (i think)

Driver front - push/slice

Driver Front - can't recall what the ball flight did here

• Administrator

I'd work on getting the arms down faster and eliminating this massive flip/roll.

Screen Shot 2016-07-03 at 2.36.05 PM 50%.pngScreen Shot 2016-07-03 at 2.36.26 PM 50%.pngScreen Shot 2016-07-03 at 2.36.36 PM 50%.png

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, curtanderse said:

Thoughts on steps to do this? 

Maybe post in other threads before getting free-Good-advice?

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Happy to post where I feel like I can contribute. Not many people on here looking to take advice from a 15 handicap though. I'll support where I can, which would be my hope/expectation of a public forum anyways...

• Administrator
1 hour ago, curtanderse said:

Happy to post where I feel like I can contribute. Not many people on here looking to take advice from a 15 handicap though. I'll support where I can, which would be my hope/expectation of a public forum anyways...

It's off topic for your Member Swing thread, but there are tons of threads where people aren't just looking for swing advice, but are just talking about golf. Your opinions matter as much as anyone's there.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 3013 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!