IGNORED

Swing vids, Advice?

Note: This thread is 5997 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Well I am a pretty high handicapper, mid to high 90's and just started back playing in June. I have been lurking around these forums for a bit and wondered if you guys would help me out with my swing and maybe some tips to help with my consistency. My club flight is out to in for sure and my divots tell the story and I can't really figure out how to fix it without making my self fell awkward with my swing. My ball flight most of the time is a slice or a weak push, I seem to have an issue hitting the ball fat alot and hardly make a proper divot in front of the ball. I tried the stack n tilt for a while and decided that I would stick with a traditional swing and attempt to go between a 2 plane and a 1 plane, currently I have been studying Hogans teachings and have been attempting to stay on plane. Do you guys have any advice for me?

Here is a couple of vids of my stroke, excuse the landscape please!

http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...t=0c6d93e0.pbr

http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...t=MVI_0972.flv

Thanks for the help/suggestions,

huK-

Here's the good news, you're athletic and young. The bad news, you have most of the swing faults that generally plague new golfers. Instead of picking at everything, I'll just start with the biggest issue.

In your takeaway, notice how your right leg straightens up as you rotate your upper body. Also, from the behind ball view, you see that your hands move very quickly to the inside. Both of these faults result in an over the top swing. The behind the ball view clearly shows the club moving from outside the line to inside the line which will always result in either a slice or the slice's equally ugly stepsister, the dead pull.

Here's the good news, you really have some velocity in your swing and I imagine, on those occasions when your hands make the needed adjustment, you can really tag the ball.

So, what to do. The first step is to get some coaching from someone who really understands the golf swing. It sounds like you've been trying to do it yourself, and I don't think it's working out. And that's only because you're new to golf and you haven't built an awareness of what a good swing feels like versus your current swing. A good coach can help you build that awareness

That said, I would work on two things: 1) Maintaining flex in your right leg to allow your shoulders to move back over your right leg, and 2) taking the club back in a wider arc to allow it to move forward lower than your backswing.

The traditional golf swing is a beautiful circle that starts from inside the line, squares up, and then moves back inside the line. Gaining awareness of when it is and isn't creating the circle is key to figuring out your swing.

Have fun,
jg

I have been getting alot of comments about my trailing leg straightening out during my backswing and they have been telling me it's a BIG no no. I never understood how big of a no no this is until I thought about it and it makes alot of sense not to mention the fact I am probably losing alot of torque I could build at the top and maybe help stop me from going past parallel at the top (I have a chronic problem with this and short of braking my backswing I cannot stop it). I tried the stack n tilt for a while and this is one of the traits that I never realized was important to remove from my swing and now i'm paying for it! I am already working on eliminating this from my swing and keeping my right leg flex and bent with the weight on the inside of the foot during the backswing. Thanks so much for the insight I hope to hear alot more and hopefully shoot 85 by mid next year (Most of my strokes come from my putting haha). It may be a longshot to see that much improvement by next year but i'm determined and I spend every minute I get thinking/swinging a golf club and going to the gym to improve my body for it. We'll see what happens and I'll be posting periodic updates and videos to gauge my progress/improvement.

As for getting a swing coach; I really am not sure who to go to around here for a proper lesson from someone who seems like they care about their student. I unfortunately have only had indirect experience with one teacher/pro around here who I won't name and was not impressed at all and even appauled by how he spent the students money towards the time he was spending with them. Half of it wasn't even golf related and most of the time I just seen him sitting back and watching them hit balls with no input at all. He is probably a good teacher and I may have caught him at a time where he was aware of his methods but with that said, I wasn't impressed at all.

Thanks for the input so far guys, I hope to hear more!

huk-

hukdizzle, i am also a fairly new golfer who also started in June this year. Just like yourself I have played around with Stack & Tilt, the traditional swing, and some other methods floating around the web. Having no pre-set muscle memory to hinder trying all these styles, I'm very sure you can also quickly change styles and methods to find the one that fits you best.

From what I see from your swing, I have a great advice that have really improved my swing and impact. Just as TM22721 have mentioned, use a 3/4 swing. Actually, try a half swing!!! All my horrible swing faults were corrected the moment I started to think to myself to use a 60%-70% swing, instead of the full swing. I realized the shorter swing let me hit the ball more solidly, resulting in longer and straighter shots than the unstable full swing. I can see the club head actually dipped down far below your left shoulder at the top of your swing!! That's a big no no, since the club shaft should not go down further than parellel at the apex of your back swing, (i'm thinking your straightened right leg actually let's you go so far over the shoulder...). Keep the right knee flexed and make sure your right foot does not come off the ground... it should be glued to the floor!!! Most importantly, focus on using the 3/4 swing more than anything else. I believe it should fix many of the swing faults that plagues us beginners.

Have fun at the range! -Sean

In my Bag-Boy NXO Revolver cart bag:
Driver: 909D2 9.5, UST Proforce V2 x-stiff
Wood: Burner '09 3-Wood
Hybrid: H585 3-Hybrid, stiff steel shaft
3-PW: : MP-57 4-PW, Rifle Project X 6.0Wedge: Solus 51, 56, 61Putter: White Hot XG Teron 34"Ball: ProV1x "Practice"

Note: This thread is 5997 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!