IGNORED

Reusing a putter grip

Note: This thread is 2791 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I just bought a used Odyssey 2 ball putter in left hand.  It has a Super Stroke FlatSo grip on crooked.  I want to add an extension to lengthen it a couple of inches.  I am thinking about trying to reuse the grip rather than cutting it off.  I have seen a method using compressed air and another method by working a coat hanger down the grip with some solvent.  Has anyone done this before with any luck? Any tips if you have done this?

Edited by IndianaDundee
Typo

The only problem I've encountered when attempting to remove a grip is stretching it out of shape.  My guess is that some grips are more resilient than others.  Whatever method you decide to use; try to minimize expansion.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If you have the air setup it sounds great.  Quick off, quick on.

As for trying to work it off - sounds like a lot of work for $20.  I'd just buy the grip I want rather than add an extension (actually I wouldn't, I like to mess around with my toys so I'd try it even if I just wanted to hold it as a spare).  Keep your receipt for the extension, if you ruin the original grip, you might want to return the extension and just buy the longer version out right.

Or don't mess with an extension and just buy the longer version (does the Flatso even have a longer version?) to start with if that's what you really want.  (this is likely me, regardless of whatever re-gripping tools I have available).

Bill - 

To clarify I want the shaft longer not the grip.  I like my putter to have a 37 inch shaft rather than 35.  I am just going to reuse the same grip after I stick a 2 inch shaft extention in the end of the shaft.

well then - there's no loss other than time trying to pull that grip off then.  go for it.  if you ruin the grip it's not that big a deal.  Have fun - grips are easy and it's satisfying doing your own work.  As you likely already know - u-tube videos are your friend, if the guy on the vid can do, pretty much you can. 

compressor is easy

coat hanger.....if you can get a gap and some solvent in there, just remember to leave the hanger in and twist the grip a lot to try and spread the solvent around - it should work

Bill - 

• 2 weeks later...

The air compressor method worked.  Shot some grip solvent in the butt with a syringe then put a short piece of pvc over the grip to protect against blowout.  A few short blasts of air, a little more solvent, more air and some twisting the grip back and forth and it came right off.  Now that I know how to do it I can save my new grips that I didn't build up enough.

46 minutes ago, IndianaDundee said:

The air compressor method worked.  Shot some grip solvent in the butt with a syringe then put a short piece of pvc over the grip to protect against blowout.  A few short blasts of air, a little more solvent, more air and some twisting the grip back and forth and it came right off.  Now that I know how to do it I can save my new grips that I didn't build up enough.

Nice work. I'll definitely be trying this meathod on my new putter as I would like to transfer my grip! Glad it worked for you!

Make sure you use the pvc or something similar when you try putting air pressure in the grip.  I just regripped my wife's clubs and tried to save the grips as they were just the wrong size.  I had a couple blow out but in the pvc it was just noisy.  I also wouldn't try it without safety glasses.  

Note: This thread is 2791 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!