IGNORED

Beginning golfer

rob022574
Note: This thread is 5985 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I wanted to introduce myself to the forum. I am a beginning golfer that has outgrown his 2000 Dunlop Surpass starter set (I get sick even looking at it) and I am looking to complete a set for Spring, since Northwest New Jersey's harsh winters do not allow for golf to even be thought about being played during this time of year.

In any event, I wanted to get the board's opinion on selection. I know everyone will have different views on OEM equipment, but that is part of why I am posting this. Some may have two choices. In those cases, would you be so kind as to offer input.

Driver:
Callaway Big Bertha 460 10 degree Regular Flex Aldila NVS Graphite Shaft (This one is a no doubter. The club just felt right and the results corroborated that feeling)

3 Wood:
Nike Sasquatch 2 Graphite Fairway Wood 15 degree loft Regular Flex with a Diamana Sasquatch Graphite Shaft
Callaway Big Bertha Fairway Wood 16 degree loft and Big Bertha Graphite Shaft Regular Flex. I am torn between the two as both are really comfortable. I will ask for input from the forum on which you feel is the better club

Hybrid Club (Replacing 5 Wood)
Again I have narrowed it down to the following two clubs:
MacGregor Mens MACTEC NVG2 Hybrid UT Wood with 20 degree loft and a Fujikura Triple Action Graphite Shaft Regular Flex
PING Mens G5 Hybrid Utility Woods with 19 degree loft and a Aldila NV85 Hybrid Graphite Shaft Regular Flex

Irons
Nike Slingshot OSS 4 - AW with Steel Shaft Regular Flex
Tour Edge Bazooka JMax QL 3-4 Hybrid (Regular Flex Aldila NVS Graphite Shaft and 5-PW with Tour Edge Rifle Steel Shaft
I was able to feel comfortable with both, so I will need alot of input with this one.

Wedges
Adams Mens Tom Watson Satin Wedge Sets with a 52 Gap Wedge, 56 Sand Wedge and 60 Lob Wedge (great value for all 3 clubs for 80 dollars)

Putter
Odyssey White Hot 2-Ball Putters Center Shaft 34 inches length

Cart Bag
Ogio Chaos Bag Chiaro Blue/Silver

Any input from you is greatly appreciated.

G5 and Tour Edge. I'd get a G10 4 wood and forget the 3 wood and hybrid since the QL's are hybrid irons.

Nike Sweet 16

Callaway Steelhead Plus 19*

Srixon I-701 3-P

Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 52* & 58*

Cleveland VP Milled No. 3

Ghetto, I tried to hit the G10 4 Wood and for some reason (probably my swing) I had a hard time with that club. That's why I was thinking 3 wood and the hybrid club. I could just get the irons from the Tour Edge set and then supplement it with other hybrids. Any thoughts?

I would go with the ping g5 hybrid. Tour Edge Irons.

Have you tried a taylormade driver?
They are nice, and if you slice the ball, you can change your ball flight with the MWT. Then when you are at the driving range, you can change it back to normal to fix it. They are also long and straight.

If you really like the Big Bertha then I would stick with it, it is a nice driver.

The taylormade is just my personal oppinion.

I would also try different wedges. That is a great set for $80, but I would try some titleist vokey wedges, or pings, taylormades, or callaways. You can get them all for around 50 dollars on ebay

driver - TM r7 425 10.5* Purple Ice Stiff
3 wood - TM r7 TP 15* reg. flex fij. vista pro
7 wood - Cally Big Bertha 21* proforce stiff
4 hybrid - TM Mid 22* reg. ultralight fij.5 hybrid - Nickent 3dx Ironwood 26* fij. banzia stiff irons - Ping eye 2+ 4, 6-pw kt-m stiff wedges - Ping tour 54*...

I like these. I currently have the lob wedge. I'm planning to get another full set.

I, too, am also upgrading my clubs. I would recommend buy club you can hit. Right now I still need a lot of work on my driver, I just keep practicing with my current driver until I have a good swing and know how to appreciate different aspects of drivers/shafts of different brand. So I'd make a better choice and not to regret later. But if you got money to spend, why not. Enjoy your new clubs

Launcher 460 10.5° <BB Solution 130 R>
Wishon 949MC 16.5° <SK Fiber Tour Trac 80 R>
3DX DC Ironwood 20°, 23° <UST SR2 R>
MX-23 5-PW <KBS Tour R>
Vokey 250.08, SM54.10, SM58.08 <DG Wedge> Callie 33.75"TLT Series 4MOI matched

I'd try that 4 wood again. You'll spend less money and a lot of golfers have trouble with 3 wood off the deck. If I had to do it over I'd dump my Rapture 3w and Cobra 5w and just bag a 4w. I'm not that consistent that it makes a shittin' bit of difference which wood I grab anyway.

Nike Sweet 16

Callaway Steelhead Plus 19*

Srixon I-701 3-P

Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 52* & 58*

Cleveland VP Milled No. 3

Note: This thread is 5985 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!