IGNORED

New Irons

Note: This thread is 2758 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am looking to get some new irons. My current set I have had for about 7 years. I use the Cobra s2 iron set. They have been a good set for me but I hit them too high and I think they are for higher handicap golfers. I would like to try mizuno but really have no idea where to start. I did get fitted 4 years ago but would need to call them to find out what I would need. Any recommendations or suggestions? I would appreciate it. 

There are so many irons out there you really need to go to a store and try them out yourself.  If you're looking at new clubs, the new Mizuno JPX 900 Forged and JPX 900 Tour are nice, if you want more of a players club, the MP-25.  

At an 8 index you should be fitted properly and find a set of irons that work best for you.  

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 10/9/2016 at 2:55 PM, teeitup22 said:

I am looking to get some new irons. My current set I have had for about 7 years. I use the Cobra s2 iron set. They have been a good set for me but I hit them too high and I think they are for higher handicap golfers. I would like to try mizuno but really have no idea where to start. I did get fitted 4 years ago but would need to call them to find out what I would need. Any recommendations or suggestions? I would appreciate it. 

If your last fitting was four years ago you really need to get fitted again, especially if you are considering new clubs. The clubs won't have changed a great deal between 2012 and now (despite all the marketing hype), but your swing very well might have changed enough to change the recommendations.

The S2s are firmly in the high-cap game-improvement range (they remind me quite a bit of the Cally Big Bertha GIs from about 10 years back), and if you're having problems with launching too high then you might be ready for a set with a higher CG that will launch lower. Whether you still need the forgiveness of a GI set is your call, and the best way to make that decision is to try a few different head styles.

I recently tried the Titleist 916 API and AP2, and was pleased with both. The AP1 is a little harder overall, you'll feel the impact with the ball even if you hit it dead-on, but it will give you the necessary feedback on off-center hits without punishing you as much. The AP2s, being forged, feel like the ball's not even there when you hit centered, but like any better-player iron, they'll punish you a bit more on distance and flight-path for the occasional toe hit. Both of them launched a lot lower than my current Ping G10 SGI set, through a combination of higher, more forward CG and delofting the high end of the set about 3 degrees (43* PW; the G10s have a 46*). So, if you're looking to launch lower but keep some forgiveness, the AP1s are a good place to start.

Thanks for the responses, guys. It sounds like I need to get fitted. Any recommendations? I know there is a golf tech close but have no idea on any other places to get fitted. 

Note: This thread is 2758 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!