IGNORED

Different swings for different clubs?

Note: This thread is 5984 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Okay okay sorry if this is lame but this has been eating at me.

If I am hitting woods I swing a lot lower like Zach Johnson on his take away. When I am hitting irons I tend to go more up right. Also my grip changes on both woods to irons.

Woods....... I have a neutral grip flat wrist and a lower takeaway. I make solid impact and hit them straight and fairly far. 7 wood 220 3 wood 235 or so.

Irons......... I have a more up and down swing. I take the club up more and roll my wrist outward bowing my wrist not cupping. I was told I hit a trap draw. Anyway If I try to interchange these swings its a disaster.

Low take away with a low back swing with the woods and up and down swing with my irons. Ahhhhhh this game!

Is this common? Is this normal? Is this weird? Am I wacked?

Well yeah you are going to have differnt swings for different clubs. You aren't going to hit your pitching wedge the same way that you hit your driver or vice-versa. Your swing difference is based on the length of the club and the type of shot you are going to hit. For a driver or other woods you probably want a low penatrating ball flight so you will take a flatter swing path. On a 8 iron you want a high trajectory landing soft so you will have a steep swing path.

As for the different grips i think you should keep a constant grip no matter what club you have. Since you are hitting a draw you should have a strong grip with your right hand(if you are a righty) turned over toward your target a little more.

And no you are not whaked.

Whats in my Warbird Hot Bad:

Driver: 907D1 9.5 - 65-S Aldila VS Proto --- FT-IQ coming soon?
2 Hybrid: Rescue mid-TP 16 deg
3 Hybrid: Rescue TP - HC Tour Only Model 19 deg - DG X-1004-PW: 695CB Irons - Project X 6.0Wedges Vokey SM58, Vokey SM54, Vokey 250Putter Futura PhantomWhere I WorkMy...

Well yeah you are going to have differnt swings for different clubs. You aren't going to hit your pitching wedge the same way that you hit your driver or vice-versa. Your swing difference is based on the length of the club and the type of shot you are going to hit. For a driver or other woods you probably want a low penatrating ball flight so you will take a flatter swing path. On a 8 iron you want a high trajectory landing soft so you will have a steep swing path.

Thanks for the prompt response! Yeah I think the grip idea is a good call.

It has already been said, but yes... every club has a different feel, and every stroke requires a different setup.

You may want your wedge further back in your stance when you are swinging from the fairway, but in a bunker you want it farther up in your stance. Every shot I take seems to feel different in one way or another...

As for the grip (I'm left-handed and can't tell what you are, so reverse this since you are probably right-handed) mine tend to change a little also depending on what I am swinging. When driving, or swinging with fairway woods, I tend to roll my lead-wrist (my right, probably your left) over toward the ball more to make sure I have a closed club-face when making contact with the ball.

Yes, I know this is probably a defect in my swing, and yes I know it's using improper mechanics as an example, but I'm just trying to state that sometimes wrist positions tend to differ depending on the shot for me... so this might not be uncommon for players.

As for your coming down on iron shots... I tend to notice the exact opposite when playing with most of my friends. They tend to try and scoop the ball to ensure elevation, but often times mis-hit because they make contact behind the ball.

This is just my opinion as a new golfer, and others may correct me on this... but when I swing with a high-numbered iron, it always feels like I am swinging down on the ball. I know I am making a proper swing and good contact with the ball, but it always just feels weird. I know it has to do with the ball being close to my body and all, but it is just un-natural to me right now. Perhaps this is what you are experiencing...

Perhaps, like me... you may feel like you are hitting a shot with a downward stroke, but in actuallity you are simply doing it correctly and it just feels un-natural.

*shrugs* Eh... what do I know though. You should probably just ignore me But to answer your last question... No, you are not whaked. I am probably much worse

Clubs in my Army-issued duffel-bag...

DTR Irons : 2-9
DCI Wedges : PW 48* & SW 56*
Driver : Mid-Size TP System2 9.5* Metalwood (5) 23*

I just started playing golf in September, and here's what I've noticed. Each club have different lengths and therefore adjustment is needed. Same swing? I would say so. But when I swing my driver I need more power and my stance is more wider.

905R 10.5*
15* 19* & 23*
R7 Draw 5-SW
Vokey 60.04
Ignite

Note: This thread is 5984 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!