IGNORED

Question on modifying shaft length on eBay iron set

cubfanbob
Note: This thread is 5984 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi there -

I'm looking at an eBay listing for a set of irons [steel shaft, standard flex] that includes the following note:

"The 3-7 irons are +1" and 8-PW are +.5" long."

If I remove 1" from the butt end of the 3-7 and .5" from the butt end of the 8-PW, the result will be a set that is standard length. My question is this: will the shaft flex still be standard as well?

Thanks in advance for your help!

In my bag:

Driver Cleveland Classic 310 Tour 10.5°  Miyazaki Kusala 61 Black Reg
Fairway Wood Cleveland Launcher FL 3/15° Miyazaki C.Kua 43 Reg
Hybrids Cleveland Mashie 3/20.5° & 4/23° Miyazaki C.Kua 43 Reg

Irons Wilson Ci9 5-6-7-8-9-PW-GW FST ss105 Reg 

Wedges Vokey SM 56.14

Putter GEL Ruby 34"

Balls Callaway HX Bite, Wilson Staff FG Tour

Hi there -

Since you (apparently) are not planning on changing the weight of the clubheads, then flex won't change much.

HOWEVER, these clubs will play around 4-8 swingweights points less than whatever they are playing now. And the lies are going to change 1 to 2 degrees (flatter). Flex isn't the big issue here. BTW, if you add weight to the clubheads to maintain a constant SW then the clubs will play with a bit more flex. Particularly with the 1" changes, the flex change will be meaningful but less than a "full flex" (like S to R). dave

In The Bag:
- Wishon 949MC 10.5* Driver
- Wishon 525 F/D 3W
- Wishon 515 949MC 5W
- Wishon 60* Cx Micro LW- Wishon 550M SW (55*)- Wishon 550M GW bent to 50* - Wishon 550C 6i - 9i (9i bent to 45*)- Wishon 321Li 3i/4i/5i hybrids- Odyssey Two Ball Putter

I can see that the swingweight would change... but why would the lie change?

And... would the swingweight of the shortened set be any different than that of a standard length set bought from stock?

In my bag:

Driver Cleveland Classic 310 Tour 10.5°  Miyazaki Kusala 61 Black Reg
Fairway Wood Cleveland Launcher FL 3/15° Miyazaki C.Kua 43 Reg
Hybrids Cleveland Mashie 3/20.5° & 4/23° Miyazaki C.Kua 43 Reg

Irons Wilson Ci9 5-6-7-8-9-PW-GW FST ss105 Reg 

Wedges Vokey SM 56.14

Putter GEL Ruby 34"

Balls Callaway HX Bite, Wilson Staff FG Tour

I can see that the swingweight would change... but why would the lie change?

Take any club at your address position. Then begin to shorten up your grip (move your hands down the shaft) and watch what happens to how the club sole lies on the ground. The heel will begin to rise and the toe will get lower.

dave

In The Bag:
- Wishon 949MC 10.5* Driver
- Wishon 525 F/D 3W
- Wishon 515 949MC 5W
- Wishon 60* Cx Micro LW- Wishon 550M SW (55*)- Wishon 550M GW bent to 50* - Wishon 550C 6i - 9i (9i bent to 45*)- Wishon 321Li 3i/4i/5i hybrids- Odyssey Two Ball Putter

Note: This thread is 5984 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!