IGNORED

My Swing (JxQx)

JxQx
Note: This thread is 2744 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 20 years

My current handicap index or average score is: 5
My typical ball flight is: straight
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: block right/block fade

Videos: 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

After about a month layoff I've been able to start practicing again. One of the main things I've been trying to focus on is to stop swaying off my left side during the back swing. I've been getting better at it but still not quite there. Also will be working on shortening my swing which could be part of what's pulling me off that side. 

Nice swing @JxQx. Do you feel you sway off the ball, away from the target? If anything you the hips move a little too far forward on the backswing. So I wouldn't worry about keeping the left hip forward on the backswing anymore. 

I feel the reverse hip slide gets the hip center/weight/pressure gets a little too far forward too soon and causes you to lift the right heel too early and stand up. So definitely keep the hips turning and centered on the backswing, I would recommend you add the feel of "loading" more into your right heel as you do it. Mental pic: right hip will move straight back rather than back and around.

Screen Shot 2016-10-29 at 11.20.01 AM.pngScreen Shot 2016-10-29 at 11.20.10 AM.png

• Upvote 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

@mvmac. Thanks for the feedback I appreciate it, I don't really feel like I sway off that much it was just something I struggled with so I may be over compensating now. What you're saying makes a lot of sense and will be giving it a try tomorrow. 

@mvmac I applied what you mentioned today when I played today and played some of my best golf all year. Ended up shooting 1 over through about 30 holes and carded my first under par "rounds" for 9 hole. Thanks again for the insight I really appreciate it.

3 hours ago, JxQx said:

@mvmac I applied what you mentioned today when I played today and played some of my best golf all year. Ended up shooting 1 over through about 30 holes and carded my first under par "rounds" for 9 hole. Thanks again for the insight I really appreciate it.

Great to here! :beer:

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• 4 weeks later...

Went to the range yesterday to work on my swing primarily focusing on shortening my backswing and keeping my left arm less pinned against my chest. I was able to make decent progress but still need to shorten my backswing a few more inches, currently it feels like I'm taking between a 1/2 and 3/4 swing with the adjustment. 

Edited by JxQx

why are you trying to shorten it? it looks nicely parrallel at the top to me?

:tmade: Driver: TM Superfast 2.0 - 9.5degree - Reg flex
:mizuno: 3 Wood: JPX800 - 16* Exhsar5 Stiff
:mizuno: 3 - PW: MP-67 Cut Muscle back - S300 stiff
:slazenger: Sand Wedge: 54degree, 12degree bounce
:slazenger: Lob Wedge: 60degree 10degree bounce
:ping: Putter: Karsten 1959 Anser 2 Toe weighted
:mizuno: Bag - Cart Style

When I was freezing the frame at the very top it was slightly past parallel, not by much maybe a couple inches. I'd like to get to parallel are slightly up. This was towards the end of my range session the beginning it was worse, I should have included both videos that was my mistake.

• 3 months later...

Today was the first day I've been able to practice in about a month in a half or so do to some injuries and it was a struggle. Definitely have a few things to work on like keeping my back foot down through impact and stop dipping a bit. Also realized I need to widen my stance a little. 

• Upvote 1

• Administrator

Looks pretty good.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I practiced more today with some hopes to play tomorrow depending on conditions it's super wet here. Really focused on keeping my back foot down/close to down through impact which is getting better but definitely not ingrained yet. Overall I hit the ball much much better. Swing seems to be coming back into form.

Note: This thread is 2744 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!