IGNORED

Help with choosing shaft flex on a set of New Irons...

Note: This thread is 5983 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm looking at buying a new set of irons, probably the Bridgestone GC Mid or the Cobra FP. I have no idea what kind of flex to get on the steel shafts or if it even matters that much since they are steel. I know the number one way to determine is by measuring swing speed but in the city I live in I'm not sure there's even a place to do that.

Anyhow, I hit my 7 Iron about 165-170, if I really go at it and hit it well I could probably get it about 175 with my current set of irons, Wilson Deep Red II's. So first I'd like an opinion on whether to get Reg or Stiff shafts. Also, if anyone has hit the Cobra FP or Bridgestone GC Mid could you give me your opinions. I'm looking for a new set of irons and willing to listen to any and all opinions. I'm about a 16 handicap, but I'm improving rapidly. I'm looking for a set of somewhat forgiving cavity backs with a fairly thin topline and I'm trying as hard as I possibly can to stay away from oversized club heads.

Its hard to answer this without knowing anything other than 7-iron length and handicap. As numerous fitters on this site would tell you, you need to get fitted by a pro. There are 30+ handicaps that need to play stiff and scratch players that play regular. Tempo, swing angle, height, etc. all play into the equation.

When I first started, I thought I needed regular flex, and played with this for 3 years before I got fitted and the pro told me I needed stiffer shafts (and 1* flat club head).

If you can't get fitted, you should always chose the shaft that is less stiff. By the way, what shafts are on your Wilsons? If they are regular and you are hitting the 7 165 yards straight, then I sure as heck would stick with that.

Note: This thread is 5983 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!