IGNORED

Visiting St. Andrews in May

MattA
Note: This thread is 2669 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi everyone.

I'm new to the site and not sure how many Scots frequent the site, but I'm hoping to find one or more playing partners to enter the draw to play at the old course at St. Andrews between the dates of May 28th and June 6th of this year.  I understand that at least 2 players are needed for the draw, but I'm travelling with my wife and daughter who aren't golfers!

If there are any locals willing to play with me, or any vacationing golfers that are going to be in that area at the time, I'd love to get in touch!

Cheers

Matt

I always thought you could show up as a single and try to get into the morning lottery?

I have read that a few times.

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hello MattA.  I am heading there in February with a five day stay in Edinburgh.  Here is what I found out during my research to try and hopefully play as a fill in from the starter.

The Old Course holds a tee-sheet ballot every day the course is open to the public, and golfers (minimum of two) can enter the drawing, which is announced two days prior to play (so Wednesday tee times are announced Monday afternoon). Now, if you have a group of more than four, be prepared to split up or risk some of you not getting a time. You can enter the ballot at the Links Trust website. Results are posted at 4:30 p.m. every day.

So if you stay three or four days in St. Andrews, plan on entering the lottery for every day you are there, but book some "safety" tee times at nearby courses. These clubs know about the Old's ballot policy, and just about all of them are happy to give you a rain check should you earn a ballot spot the day you're supposed to play their course (just mention your plans to do so when booking with the course). Many clubs now offer online tee times as well so you can make last-minute arrangements. 

The last option, if all else fails or if you're a single, is to walk on. You'll want to head to the starter's shed at the crack of dawn and give your name to the starter, who will put you on the list and pair you with any incomplete groups. Keep your fingers crossed for no-shows.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 2669 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!