IGNORED

My Swing (Hategolf)

Hategolf
Note: This thread is 2830 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I played professional soccer for a few years until injuries got me out of the game...I am competitive by nature and I don't really like to loose, but Golf kicks my ass! and it is driving me insane. I manage money for a living and it is important to spend time in the golf course with folks I do business with.

I can't begin to tell you how hard I'm willing or work on my swing to play better than average Golf. In my opinion a 98 or 95 is just ok for fun ..please don't be offend but I am just not interested in that kid of golf. I would be happy with mid to low eighties type of score in 2017.

For 2017, I figured I endure the pain of watching  my swing and get it right. I really don't like it. It looks and feels crowded and restricted. Thus I struggle with consistent distance. A good 8 iron goes 150 and a 7 iron goes 160. More times than not  however I fall short.  Oh and my driver? ...a poor 230 or so..

In this video I'm swinging a 7 iron. You can see the ball is too far forward in my stance, one of the many things I need to work on.  When I move the ball further back however it causes problems like a slice or a push.

When I'm not making close to decent contact, it seems to be due to my arms are too far out, and I can't get consistency on the strike placement..I see it when I look at the head of the club and how the shot feels. Then, I make an effort to stay connected and I end up overdoing it. Therefore I don't have room to be fluid...at least if feels that way. I feel as if I loose club speed because of that. 

Sometimes It feels that I release the club but I just don't really know how to do it...I believe the release should be as a result of the swing and not a premeditated hand action, so I try not to make it happen with my hands. 

Lastly...It would be nice to drive my swing with my legs..but it seems that I try to muscle it with my upper body

With that said..my goal is to free up my swing and learn how to fully let go and release. I am seriously considering signing up for the video lessons so many of you take part of. 

I've been Playing Golf for: 7yrs or so.

My current handicap index or average score is: I shoot in the mid to high 90s. I shot 87 once. If and when I loose, a 101 is not rare.
My typical ball flight is: Straight...I know is hard to believe...
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: short, fades and restricted swing. 

Videos: 

Edited by RandallT
Removed request to delete old thread. Did that.
  • Upvote 1

• RandallT changed the title to My Swing (Hategolf)

Good luck! I'll swing by occasionally to see how you're doing. A professional soccer player- very cool! I grew up in the DC area in the 70s/80s and we traveled to CA once to get our ass whipped by you folks on the west coast. We thought we were big shots in our little region, and maybe it was the jetlag. But then the same happened when we traveled up to Toronto for an international tournament. There are some damn good players in this world. (guess same is true of golf) 

Anyway, I went ahead and hid that other thread and took out the text in your post above requesting to do that (in case you wondered). Glad to see this one worked better with the video embeds.

See you around.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 2830 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!