IGNORED

Driver trouble

Note: This thread is 5965 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I got a Titleist 905R with an R flex Aldila NV 65 for Christmas, and I love it. However, I hit way more pop ups with the new club. The club it replaced had a smaller face and shallower face, and as far as I can tell my tee height has stayed the same, relative to the face. Do you guys have any guesses as why this may be happening?

905R 10.5* Aldila NV 65
904F 15* Graphite Design YS-6+
NVG2 UT 17* Fujikura Triple Action
755 3-PW Trispec steel
52/08, 58/08 rac TP Wicked putter (model 1)

So I got a Titleist 905R with an R flex Aldila NV 65 for Christmas, and I love it. However, I hit way more pop ups with the new club. The club it replaced had a smaller face and shallower face, and as far as I can tell my tee height has stayed the same, relative to the face. Do you guys have any guesses as why this may be happening?

I'm going to guess that it's a lot lighter than your last driver.

Equipment, Setup, Finish, Balance, and Relax. All equal in importance and all dependent on each other. They are the cornerstones of a good golf swing.

I would not sweat it. It's a new driver and you will settle in. you are probably trying harder and pressing a bit since it is a new hot driver and when swinging, the head is descending at a little steeper angle. Just relax and I bet you start hitting solid.

Hey, I got the exact same driver and shaft (but with 9.5 loft) and had a similar issue of pop-ups - until I really made sure to place the ball more forward in my stance, so that the club is more level through impact, rather than too descending.

Hope that helps!
Ken

What were the specs of your old club mate?

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

Shaft could have something to do with it... low v. high kickpoints, S v. R, etc.

tell us a little more about the old club.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

My old driver came as part of this set: http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.c...e_1977_2304937
I'd guess the driver was somewhere between 330 and 370 cc's, with a senior flex 43" graphite shaft (don't know the brand). I hated the club because the shaft launched the ball very low and had no feel. Thanks for the help.

905R 10.5* Aldila NV 65
755 3-PW Trispec steel

That Aldila probably shouldn't be the cause it has a relatively high kickpoint. But that old driver was 43", so maybe just using a longer shaft has you getting too far under the ball. Look at the impact marks on the face after you pop one up,sometimes you can make out an impact point this way. Or go to the range with some impact tape.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

I'm guessing you're used to the smaller club head with x-inch tee height. Now you implied that 905R is bigger than your old driver, thus with the same x-inch tee height you'll naturally (subconsciously) feel afraid to hit the turf with your new and bigger driver, because you know that driver shouldn't touch the ground during the swing ---> pop ups.

What I would do is to increase the tee height so that the equator of the golf ball is on the same level with the top of your driver's face (Different people have different way of teeing up though. Find what's comfortable for yourself). Afterwards, swing your driver normally like you would using your old driver. See if it works out.

Hope this helps.

What's in the bag:
Driver: r7 SuperQuad 10.5° ~ UST Proforce V2 65g Regular
Wood: 906F4 18.5° ~ Aldila VS Proto 80g Stiff
Irons: MP-60 3-PW ~ True Temper Tour Concept S3
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 252.08, SM56.10 & SM60.08Putter: Marxman Mallet 33"

Headed over to the range today and nearly every single shot was perfect. Thank you all.

905R 10.5* Aldila NV 65
755 3-PW Trispec steel

Note: This thread is 5965 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!