IGNORED

DQOTD: Full toe hang putter with slight arc stroke?

Note: This thread is 2487 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm trying to resist replacing my recently dusted off old clubs 'just because,' but my 20 yo Odyssey DF550 putter hasn't been very friendly so far. It's basically a full toe hang (5:00) heel and toe putter. According to Ping's categories, my natural stroke is a slight arc or IDTL. It's not a strong arc or SBST. Lots of articles explain why a face balanced putter might not suit a strong arc stroke, but I haven't found one that discusses any other case (like mine?). I've even found a few articles that seem to claim face balanced is good for everyone among other conflicting guidance (toe up?). Is there a consensus here?

FWIW I seem to tend to push/miss right when I miss, unless I deliberately let my left hand take over - which feels unnatural/uncomfortable.

Edited by Midpack

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Toe hang is irrelevant.

Read that.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

(edited)
10 hours ago, iacas said:

Toe hang is irrelevant.

Read that.

Thanks, interesting, and not surprising. The marketing myths in golf equipment aren't unlike so many consumer products, yet I fall for some of them.

Kind makes me wonder why so many folks here stress how important a putter fitting is. I know what length feels comfortable, I can see if the lie is reasonable and I can decide for myself if a putter looks, feels and putts "right" to me. For now I'm going to see if more practice cures my inconsistencies with my old putter.

Edited by Midpack

• Administrator
Just now, Midpack said:

Thanks, interesting, and not surprising. The marketing myths in golf equipment aren't unlike so many consumer products, yet I fall for some of them.

Kind makes me wonder why so many folks here stress how important a putter fitting is. I know what length feels comfortable, I can see if the lie is reasonable and I can decide for myself if a putter looks, feels and putts "right." For now I'm going to see if more practice cures my inconsistencies with my old putter.

I think a putter fitting is very important. For two things:

• Aim. Most people can't aim the putter(s) they own.
  • Distance. The weight distribution in the putter greatly affects how well you can hit putts the proper distance.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 2487 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!