IGNORED

My Swing (Gaby Goldshlager)

Gaby Goldshlager
Note: This thread is 2640 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello,

My name is Gaby Goldshlager. I have been playing golf for quite a while now, probably around 6 years. Currently, I am still inputting scores to create my handicap, but my average score I shoot is usually in the low 100's when I play 18 holes, usually around 100-106. On a lucky day of playing 18 holes I would shoot in the 90's, but that doesn't happen very much. My typical ball flight is a high fade to the right with some backspin on the ball. I am really trying to get rid of a few things in my golf swing/golf game. I want to stop casting in my swing because I know it takes away a lot of power away in my swing which causes me to have no distance in by golf shots. I am not a far hitter because of this. I also very much dislike my "over the top swing". I do want to get rid of this. Lastly I want to get rid of my "armsy" swing. I am doing my best to try to move my hips first in order to gain power for my swing, but all I end up doing is moving my shoulders, then my arms, then lastly my hips which I am very disappointed about. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Videos: 

Welcome Gaby!

First I'll make sure you've seen this starting point for all of the elements involved in your work ahead:

At that link you'll see a wealth of info- nearly all of it applicable to my own journey- and I started with a swing much like yours. 

The important thing is to identify the correct priority in your practice, and that usually takes an expert. Work on that priority specifically. Then a new priority emerges and you attack that.  One by one.

Its good to see the roadmap though and if you familiarize yourself with the content there, you'll understand better the framework that the experts here work from.  (Although if you search out the term "stupid monkey" on the site, you'll learn understanding the framework isn't even necessary).

Anyway, good luck. Hopefully you'll be able to find specific things to target from some feedback here, and get to work on them. You won't find one fix- it'll be a more fluid process over time, but you'll be a better golfer for it. 

• Upvote 1

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 hours ago, Gaby Goldshlager said:

Hello,

My name is Gaby Goldshlager. I have been playing golf for quite a while now, probably around 6 years. Currently, I am still inputting scores to create my handicap, but my average score I shoot is usually in the low 100's when I play 18 holes, usually around 100-106. On a lucky day of playing 18 holes I would shoot in the 90's, but that doesn't happen very much. My typical ball flight is a high fade to the right with some backspin on the ball. I am really trying to get rid of a few things in my golf swing/golf game. I want to stop casting in my swing because I know it takes away a lot of power away in my swing which causes me to have no distance in by golf shots. I am not a far hitter because of this. I also very much dislike my "over the top swing". I do want to get rid of this. Lastly I want to get rid of my "armsy" swing. I am doing my best to try to move my hips first in order to gain power for my swing, but all I end up doing is moving my shoulders, then my arms, then lastly my hips which I am very disappointed about. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Videos: 

One thing that stands out is at the top of the backswing, your hips slide back. This makes it harder to get your weight going forward on the downswing. A couple of things that would be shorting the backswing a little and that will help you center the hip turn. Helpful threads are below.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator

@Gaby Goldshlager, a lot of the issues begin with the hips swaying back and your "reverse spine tilt" at the top.

01.jpg

The hips sway back, you arch-extend (over-extend) your back, and your arms go on way too far.

Then your arms are "slow" to come back down because they've got so far to go.

02.jpg

The over the top move that you have is a compensation to try to get the club down to the ground somewhere near the golf ball (or forward) because if they were this slow you'd likely miss the golf ball altogether.

These bottom two pictures will clean up a bit themselves if you fix the hip swaying/reverse spine tilt at the top of the swing. The swing will get shorter, too.

03.jpg04.jpg

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 2640 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!