IGNORED

My Swing (Jrobber)

JRobber
Note: This thread is 2588 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Thanks the grip tips @downbylaw11

i think the right hand wrapped under the club is a fairly new thing for me and may be a major contributor to the issue. I can't tell for sure in my older videos if that's something I was doing before - but I don't think so.

Weakening the left hand grip feels really foreign to me, so I think I've always had a fairly strong grip and was getting acceptable results (by my standards)

I will try tinkering with the right hand grip more....fingers crossed!!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Haha that's a great story! Good job!@downbylaw11 

I'm thinking of ditching the driver too. At least for a 4 day guys gilf trip I have coming up.

But it's 'driving' me nuts as my driver was my easiest most reliable club to hit! ....ticketing and trying to fix one flaw, created me a $hit storm of problems. That's golf I guess ?

yeah, the driver has been a hard one to fix for me because I have hard time hitting it at anything less than 100% power, which is no good if youre trying to fix something.  it's annoying because if I'm trying to work on my swing with a wedge, I definitely dial it back and hit 50% 75% 90% and feel what im working on, but with a driver, it feels so stupid to swing a club people are only ever trying to hit 'far' at anything less than 100%.  obviously thats immaturity on my part, or ego, but rather than keep swinging for the fences and hitting singles, I'd rather just step back and use a club I know I can effectively practice the movements with, and try to later bring that to my driver swing.  unfortunately i live in a condo so I can't swing my driver indoors, but I can swing an iron so I do that several times a day. 

as for the tension i mentioned above, that has been a big problem for me that I sometimes didn't realize I had but I was so focused on getting my back swing into the correct positions that I would be super tense, and when I got to the top, nothing worked in the right sequence and my body was begging to release ahead of the lower body which caused an over the top move and a late flippy release through impact I believe.  which also possibly explains why i had a problem matching my practice swing to my real swing. practice swing (no tension in to out swing path), real swing(lots of tension and out to in)

anyways, good luck

3-pw 2007 callaway x-forged
56 cleveland
60 cleveland 
Driver - Callaway xr16
3w - Callaway xr16
Shoes - Etonic stabilite sport

I hear ya @downbylaw11

i was working on a drill where you just try to hit the driver nice and easy to about 100 yards and was getting nice contact and straight ball flight, but ya when I go to full swing all is lost ?

Thanks and I will keep this post updated with how it goes

12 hours ago, JRobber said:

problem is I can't really see the difference and I can't repeat the 'good' swing with any consistency. I see maybe a weaker grip and less hip shift to the right (better hip turn) on the good one.

Just jumping in with a quick note: don't worry about "good" versus "bad" swings. Your swing is actually pretty consistent, even if the results aren't.

• Thumbs Up 1

- John

8 minutes ago, JRobber said:

Thanks for the article @hardspoon good point! So I'm just getting lucky from time to time.

That's a good way to think of it...the better the swing, the higher the probability of proper clubface alignment, solid sweetspot contact, and a good swing path on any given attempt.

• Like 1

- John

Problem solved! (For now :))

main problem seems to be the too if an inside out path. The 45 degree stick drill worked great! Thanks @iacas 

@downbylaw11 I also corrected the path by attacking the ball from 5 o'clock. It was another tip I saw and basically you imagine your standing on a clock with 6 o'clock being directly behind the ball. Then on the way down you simply focus on hitting the ball at 5. I also opened my stance a little. Was a little push, slice or fade flight.....but waaaaaay better contact!

i didnt weaken my grip that much with the driver. I was talking to the golf pro at the range today and he said it would be easier to tinker with the right hand grip with my higher irons. So I did and started hitting some shanks! I could easily solve the shank by addressing the ball off off the hosel and feel like coming to toe in follow through and / or close the face at address. So I can live with that - but hate the thiught of a shank even being a slight possibility in my swing eeek!!

well thats great news.  

when you talk about the clock, and hitting a 5, are you describing hitting on a more out to in path?  if youre still slicing or fading doing that, wouldnt you want to maybe aim for swinging from 6 to 12  on the clock?

56 cleveland
60 cleveland 
Driver - Callaway xr16
3w - Callaway xr16

Hi @downbylaw11 Yes that's exactly what I'm talking about. I'm going for the 5 to over compensate and correct the extreme in to out path I had. I would guess when I actually hit the ball it's closer to the 6 o'clock.

yeah, thats what i figured. 

the overcompensating thing is a pretty typical training method for fixing these types of things, but one thing I never see talked about is, when to stop overcompensating and start working on the motion that is your ultimate end goal.  Because if you keep overcompensating, eventually your body is going to learn that overcompensated move, which can cause huge problems as well.  when I was working on fixing my out to in with the driver, I started overcompensating but feeling as if i was re-routing the club on the downswing but coming underneath the swing plane and swinging drastically outward, and guess what happened after a few weeks of taking practice swings like this, i started hitting a dying duck hook lol

so yeah, if your end goal is to hit it straight, or maybe a slight fade............ i would reconsider the hours on the clock at some point, otherwise before you know it you might have a bad slice

56 cleveland
60 cleveland 
Driver - Callaway xr16
3w - Callaway xr16

3 minutes ago, downbylaw11 said:

yeah, thats what i figured. 

the overcompensating thing is a pretty typical training method for fixing these types of things, but one thing I never see talked about is, when to stop overcompensating and start working on the motion that is your ultimate end goal.  Because if you keep overcompensating, eventually your body is going to learn that overcompensated move, which can cause huge problems as well.  when I was working on fixing my out to in with the driver, I started overcompensating but feeling as if i was re-routing the club on the downswing but coming underneath the swing plane and swinging drastically outward, and guess what happened after a few weeks of taking practice swings like this, i started hitting a dying duck hook lol

so yeah, if your end goal is to hit it straight, or maybe a slight fade............ i would reconsider the hours on the clock at some point, otherwise before you know it you might have a bad slice

Right, I see your points. I plan to use that 5 o'clock feeling for now, while I try to get better with the more nuetral grip. As I think doing the clock thing will never yield 300+ yard drives for me, because I probably won't be able to generate the club head speed. 

why do you think the clock visual won't yield enough club head speed?

56 cleveland
60 cleveland 
Driver - Callaway xr16
3w - Callaway xr16

Note: This thread is 2588 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!