IGNORED

Links courses of North-West England

b101
Note: This thread is 2442 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've deliberately left the title vague, as I intend to keep the thread updated when I play more of these courses (which will definitely happen!).

A couple of weeks ago, we booked a few nights in Southport (of Royal Birkdale fame). For those that don't know, this is one of the best areas in the country for the quality and variety of golf courses, with two Open hosts (Royal Birkdale and Royal Lytham St Annes) and a number of other links gems. The other fun aspect is the abundance of heather and pine trees, meaning you get some nice links/heathland hybrid courses such as Formby and Southport & Ainsdale. There are loads of others though, as evidenced by the Top100 golf courses site: 

http://www.top100golfcourses.com/golf-courses/britain-ireland/england/lancashire

I was lucky enough to book onto Formby (Monday) and Royal Lytham St Annes (Tuesday).

Formby:

Formby is a heathland/parkland/links course - although I'd say predominantly a links. It plays host to Open qualifying events as well as top amateur competitions. The practice facilities were good, although the range is a way away from the first tee, so I didn't have a look at that. There is a nice short game and putting area though. Mostly, though, I'll let some of the photos speak for themselves.

First tee - nice and open, but some decent bunkering on the tee shot and great view of the course:

IMG_0664.JPG

Third tee - you can start to see the influence of the heather and pines blocking out the right hand side:

IMG_0668.JPG

Third green - you can see the links style here. A great par 5 green with a small landing zone (you come in from the right) and some real undulations:

IMG_0670.JPG

I'd have loved to take more photos, but for some reason my phone was only taking in low quality. I did get a nice video of a drive on the 17th though. 

The course is lovely and you can see much better photos on their website: http://www.formbygolfclub.co.uk/gallery/the-course/. I played from the yellows (6,469 yards) and it didn't feel long, but definitely showed its teeth when the wind picked up on the back nine. The front nine was outstanding, with a great variety of holes and that lovely feel of being in a mix of heath and links. I did feel the back nine wasn't as good and I could have used more variety between holes 11-15, with a number of fairly similar par fours. They are all good holes, but just didn't feel different enough for me. The 3-5-4 finish of 16, 17 and 18 is excellent though and with such a deep green on 18, you could easily face a very long putt needing a score. The front nine is amongst the very nicest I've played though and it had that blissful feel where you're totally alone for hole after hole.

I played ok - drove the ball pretty well but didn't make many putts. What is clear is that it's a punishing course from the rough and I kept rueing fairway misses - whilst the lies weren't bad and you could always find your ball, you'd often end up with the ball either above or below your feet or you'd be blocked out. I love a course that can do this and punish you without resorting to super thick rough, patchy lies or out of bounds and this is where Formby excelled for me - it's a really good design and I would be delighted to be a member here.

https://www.gamegolf.com/player/benpage101/round/1785870

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Disclaimer: there will be a lot of photos (in good quality this time!), hence multiple posts

Royal Lytham and St Annes:

So, I tried to book Royal Birkdale first - it has better reviews and had just hosted the Open. No luck there, so I went for Lytham without a second thought. What I read about the course beforehand suggested a fairly bland course, but with a really good test of golf. It's widely considered both one of the most challenging on the Open venue (ask Adam Scott...) but also one of the least beautiful. The course isn't a traditional links - you get no view of the sea and the entire course is encircled by the town of Lytham. You see walkers coming across to get to the other side and the odd views of red-brick houses when you get to the extremities. But, I would totally argue for it being beautiful. It's not got the vistas of Turnberry, but no other course does. It is really well-designed though and again there was the feel of space, even in the middle of a town.

The first thing you notice is the clubhouse - how can you not? 

IMG_0679.JPG

Looking back over the 18th green:

IMG_0682.JPG

It's iconic and you immediately know exactly where you are. The other thing you can instantly tell from these photos is the sheer quality of the course's condition. I think only Turnberry matches it for the maintenance and it just looked perfect; the greenkeepers clearly work very hard and you notice it the whole way round. 

Inside the clubhouse, there is so much history - the Claret Jug, montages from every player to have won there and a signed club from each player. There was also a signed photo of Ernie admiring the Jug on the way in to the Clubhouse:

IMG_0686.JPG

IMG_0689.JPG

IMG_0687.JPG

I've never had the feeling of so much history, at any course, and it really gives you a special feeling before you head out to play.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

The practice facilities, as you'd expect from an Open venue, are excellent. The short game area is small, but tricky and allowing for a huge variety, whilst the range is huge with a number of targets. After about an hour of warming up, I set out onto the first - the only par 3 opener on the Open rota. Nothing like a 4 iron to a heavily bunkered green for your first shot of the day...

IMG_0691.JPG

IMG_0692.JPG

I ended up going way right (practically onto the next tee box) and actually it wasn't too bad a place to miss - a relatively simple pitch on, but missed the putt from 15ft. It's one of those holes where 4 is a good start.

A couple more photos give an idea of the nature of the course, but, to be honest, I was so caught up in the enjoyment of my round that I just didn't take that many.

The par three 9th hole shows why some people consider the influence of the outside world to detract from the course. I disagree and it's a stunning hole for me.

IMG_0700.JPG

The final hole is awesome and just utterly daunting. A par four with a ridiculous amount of bunkers that threaten the drive and then an approach to the clubhouse. Nothing explains this hole quite like the scary course guide:

Office Lens 20170818-081226.jpg

IMG_0706.JPGIMG_0709.JPG

It's a great end to the round and one that is fitting for any Open Championship.

This was, quite simply, the best golf course I have ever played and I loved every minute. It's hard to explain just how much of a mental challenge it is - there are so many factors in play on every single shot and you're constantly considering where the best/worst misses are, what the wind will do, how the ball will bounce and where you want to play your approach shots from. I went from the green tees (6700 yards) and I played pretty well in all, putted better and mostly drove the ball pretty well, but there were so many holes where bogey was a good score. 

https://www.gamegolf.com/player/benpage101/round/1785846

In short, I can't recommend the Southport/Liverpool area enough for a golfing break, if you get the chance. The surrounding area is really affordable to stay in and eat, so it can be quite well-priced, too. There are so many more courses in the area that I plan to play, and I'll update this thread as and when.

• Like 1

Note: This thread is 2442 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!