IGNORED

Impact of lessons....

bones75
Note: This thread is 2377 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

6 minutes ago, Antneye said:

I am starting to think it is time for me to get a lesson, but I really don't want to waste time with a poor instructor.  If anyone has any recommendations for a good (and affordable) instructor on the South side of Charlotte, N.C. it would be appreciated.

I've been improving thanks to this site, but I may need a little more help than that.  I wish there was a 5SK instructor around here, but I don't see anyone in the area.

Sometimes I think it may be finding a good match vs some instructors being bad. I've gone through several before one of them really changed my game, and they all seemed equally qualified from just the resume standpoint.

19 hours ago, bones75 said:

Sometimes I think it may be finding a good match vs some instructors being bad.

I experienced this down in Oklahoma circa 2000. I found a capable pro, but we didn't get along very well.

I played at a course connected to a military base, and sought lessons from the very popular head golf pro. He had won the course's teen club championship 15 years before, got his PGA card, and later returned home as head pro. 

He gave me a short-game lesson which which helped greatly, showed me different things you can do with a wedge. (I relied too much on 8i chip and run.) I use the lesson notes to this day.

But, things got rocky after that first lesson. He became rude and snippy during our sessions, asked why I showed up late, when I wasn't: He had given me an appointment card at lesson set-up, and I arrived early so I could warm up.

Possibly the problem was guilt by association. I was a Marine reserve officer, and he had begun having problems with the base senior officers. A new commander had come in a year before, and the Army brass started treating him really shabbily (he was no longer allowed to go to the officer's club, had less say-so over course financial matters, and had to referee an emerging feud between golfing Army retirees and the new commander over fee increases).

I saw the play by play. The tennis-buff base commander had dispossessed this head pro. I continued to play there, but sought lessons elsewhere.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 2377 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!