IGNORED

shaft trimming

Note: This thread is 6839 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey guys, I have a few questions about trimming my driver shaft.

I have the 983k with a stock Aldila NV65 S.

1) I am getting a new grip put on the club and am going to ask the store to cut a half inch off the shaft so it plays 44.5". That's assuming that stock the 983k is 45". So that's the first question, is it stock 45"? Also what is the stock swingweight?

2) How much would cutting a half inch off the butt end effect swing weight and how much lead tape would I need to bring the swing weight back up to normal? Also where do i go about getting lead tape?

3) Lastly, where do I apply the lead tape on the shaft? I read that I do it at the hosel to bring the SW back up and then under the grip to even out the weight of the shaft or something. Is that true or is there another way I should do it?

Thanks

Hey guys, I have a few questions about trimming my driver shaft.

Most oem drivers that i see are 45" or a little longer.They generally come in between d1 and d3 swingweight. In cutting a 1/2" off of the shaft, you would lose app. 3 swingweight points. To get the sw back up....you would need 6 grams of lead tape. In my opinion, you should try the driver out before adding additional weight. You might like it without the additional weight and by adding 6 grams, your making your shaft play a bit weaker to flex. If you add the tape....putting it down by the hosel will work, and you can also try adding it to the bottom of the sole. I wouldnt worry about adding any weight to the grip end of the shaft because you would be reducing your swingweight again. Some pros will do this to make the over all weight of a graphite shafts heavier and feel more like steel to them. You can find lead tape in some sports stores and i've seen it in hardware stores. I would think that whoever is doing your gripping would prolly have some to help you out. Golf supply stores, such as golfsmith and golfworks carry it also.

Note: This thread is 6839 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!