IGNORED

My Swing (KoenA)

KoenA
Note: This thread is 2054 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: about 5 years
My current handicap index or average score is: handicap 15, trending downwards lately
My typical ball flight is: straight and very high
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: This has been changing somewhat, typically it's a hook, but lately misses have rather been slices or even the occasional open face hit 

Additional background:

I've only taken very few lessons (including some on evolvr a few years ago around key 1), but try to figure out how to work on my swing based on what I read online (mainly here). I've been progressing quite steadily on my own, but last year over the entire season I only managed to drop my handicap by ~2 points. This year, I aim to do better and want to work on improving my swing.

From looking at my own swing on video, there are two things that strike me:

1) Overswinging: my left arm breaks down at the top of the backswing, even when I try to 'feel' a shorter backswing
2) Early release: I release the golfclub way to early on the downswing. I still get a decent contact, and am not lacking for distance (7 iron goes 145-150 meter) but my ballflight is way too high and unplayable in windy circumstances

Despite trying to work on these, I just can't seem to get these right. Maybe I need to practice more/better, or maybe I'm doing things in my swing to which the natural reaction is the errors I see. Especially for the early release, I can keep the lag in practice swings, but as soon as there is a ball I go back to the early release.

Would love to get some insight from everyone on here on what to work on (and ideally how). In the below videos, I've included a practice swing and a real one right after that.

Thanks in advance everyone for your help!

Videos: 

• 4 months later...
  • Administrator

I would address two things right now:

• Posture (a bit too much bend in the knees, a bit too much butt hanging out behind your heels).
  • The "long arms" feel on the follow-through.

That should help get you started on that.

Happy birthday!

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 2054 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!