IGNORED

How can my daughter get involved in golf?

rounder
Note: This thread is 6818 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My 13 year old daughter really enjoys playing The Greens, a course in our town that is just that - the greens. Now she has told me she would like to learn the rest of the game and compete. Problem is, I do not know anything about youth golf and what is available? What is the best course of action for my daughter to learn about golf and get involved in the game?

Thanks in advance....

I'm not sure what part of the country (or what country) you're in but I'd interview some local instructors to see if you're comfortable with them working with your daughter. There may also be some junior golf schools or clinics in your area. You can also try www.thefirsttee.org .

Chris
What's in the bag?
Taylormade R7 Superquad
TaylorMade Burner 3W & 5W
Hogan Edge Hybrid 21*
Mizuno MX20 4-PWCleveland 588 GW & CG10 SWOdyssey 2-Ball Center ShaftTitleist NXT Tour

• Administrator
Two quick articles that may or may not apply, too.

Advice for Juniors
Buying Junior Clubs

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I started playing golf with my dad when I was about 11. The first thing he did was sign me up for some lessons with a female pro. If there are none in your area I would say a male is fine, but I was a nervous wreck starting out and having a woman calmed me down a lot. Then just be as encouraging and supportive as you can be. Take her out after work, try to help without being her coach (my dad missed that part), be geniunely interested in how she is doing, etc. Is she about to be in high school? If so I would recommend trying out for the girls' golf team. My experience is that most girls in high school are just starting (unless your area is competitive) and she would fit in and have a great time learning with other kids her age. It also gets her into the routine of practicing and should show her some drills that will help improve her game.

Also, do you have a friend with a daughter her age? Golf can be fun to learn with a partner. Another great thing my dad would do, as I learned much later, is that he would intentionally hit bad shots and putts. It made me feel better and then he would droan on about how he needed to practice his putting (even though I was the one making par just on the green) and we would go in after our round and practice for awhile. I never knew it was his way of getting me to practice because I always thought I was just there to keep him company.

All the courses in my area have junior golf lessonsfor fairly cheap. They are group lessons with a PGA certified pro. I was in the program for about 5 years and had a blast. Also, up in Alaska at least there is a junior golf league all summer. I dont know if all places have that or not, but I think they have that in place of a school golf team since by the time school starts we only have a month or 2 if we are lucky before it snows so we dont have them. But I would imagine that if you went to a course and talked to a pro or even just someone who works there they could let you know quite a few different options for your daughter to get involved in golf.

In the Bag:

Wilson Fat Boy Driver
Callaway Steelhead 3 & 5 Wood (Steel Shaft)
3 & 5-SW Callaway X-1452 degree WedgeAdams Golf 60 Degree WedgePing B60 PutterOther Optional Clubs:Callaway Steelhead 1 WoodCleveland 60 degree wedgeAdams Golf 56 Degree WedgesWilson Blackjack PutterBall: ...

• Administrator
All the courses in my area have junior golf lessonsfor fairly cheap. They are group lessons with a PGA certified pro. I was in the program for about 5 years and had a blast. Also, up in Alaska at least there is a junior golf league all summer. I dont know if all places have that or not, but I think they have that in place of a school golf team since by the time school starts we only have a month or 2 if we are lucky before it snows so we dont have them. But I would imagine that if you went to a course and talked to a pro or even just someone who works there they could let you know quite a few different options for your daughter to get involved in golf.

This reminds me: my country club has junior lessons every Thursday. It's something like $50/year and the kids get an hour every day (putting, full shots, chipping) and then they get to play nine holes. It's a steal.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I started playing golf with my dad when I was about 11. The first thing he did was sign me up for some lessons with a female pro. If there are none in your area I would say a male is fine, but I was a nervous wreck starting out and having a woman calmed me down a lot. Then just be as encouraging and supportive as you can be. Take her out after work, try to help without being her coach (my dad missed that part), be geniunely interested in how she is doing, etc. Is she about to be in high school? If so I would recommend trying out for the girls' golf team. My experience is that most girls in high school are just starting (unless your area is competitive) and she would fit in and have a great time learning with other kids her age. It also gets her into the routine of practicing and should show her some drills that will help improve her game.

Great advice Emily. I'm just starting out myself so I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to offer much advice anyway. I think it would be cool to learn along with her, but I'm not sure a 13 year old wants to hang out with DAAAAAAD that much

This reminds me: my country club has junior lessons every Thursday. It's something like $50/year and the kids get an hour every day (putting, full shots, chipping) and then they get to play nine holes. It's a steal.

Every

day ? That is a steal!

• Administrator
Every

Every day they have lessons... which are every Thursday.

Great advice Emily. I'm just starting out myself so I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to offer much advice anyway. I think it would be cool to learn along with her, but I'm not sure a 13 year old wants to hang out with DAAAAAAD that much

Oh sure she does! It's a great way to spend time together. Besides, who will see her on the golf course? No one.

If she is really into it there are a lot of great junior camps. I went to some in the summers during high school. They are a lot of fun and a great way to gauge how interested you really are. Also, if you are looking at getting her clubs make sure you have a professional help you out. I bought ladies clubs and found out later that I was way too tall for them and needed mens clubs.

Note: This thread is 6818 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!