IGNORED

My Swing (BaumGolf)

BaumGolf
Note: This thread is 2144 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 1.5 Months

My current handicap index or average score is: +20 across 9 holes (No 18 holes played) (No Handicap established)
My typical ball flight is: Straight to Push Straight with the occasional slice on poor shots. 
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: The Push & The Slice

Background Info: Hi guys, I'm new to the forum as well as the game of golf. I fell in love with the game less than 2 months ago, and built up a set of clubs, and have been working on my swings ever since. I think I've developed decent form for being a beginner, but I'm still struggling with pushing the ball offline, or on poor shots the dreaded slice (especially with my hybrids and 3 wood). I have only played 2 rounds of 9-hole golf, and the vast majority of my practice is at my local range. Let me know what you all think I can improve! 

Videos: 

• Administrator
28 minutes ago, BaumGolf said:

My typical ball flight is: Straight to Push Straight with the occasional slice on poor shots. 
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: The Push & The Slice

A few things…

1. I'd love to see a DL view because a FO view isn't often the best for diagnosing path issues (slices are path issues).
  2. I like this (picture below).
  3. You'll notice in the image that the face is just wide open, so a DL view would let us know if that slice is a path issue or a face issue.

01.jpg

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

(edited)

Here are two more videos that should show my swing path a little bit better. The first one is with my Ping G15 3 Wood, on this day I was really working on getting my ball down my target line (hence the sticks), but as you can see in the video it is still a bit right of my target line. Although, this was a pretty decent Fairway Wood shot for me! 

This shot was done with my 7-Iron I believe (same one in the OP), so this may give a better idea of what my swing path is like with my irons. In this one you can clearly see my hit the ball right (club face open, and also a toe hit). This is probably exactly what I am trying to fix most. This wasn't the best shot, but I think it shows a flaw of mine. 

I have more videos from both front and back angles, it's just not all of them are "good" shots. Let me know if there is anything more I can upload that may help! 

Edited by BaumGolf

• Administrator

Two things:

• Your grip appears to be very, very palmy.
  • You need to go into more "palmar flexion" with the left wrist during the downswing. Your left wrist is cupped, and I'd twist the grip so that it arches. Some photos:

palmar_flexion.jpg

palmar.jpghogan_wrist_action.jpg

Analyzr Image Export.jpg

P.S. Please be courteous to others looking to help you and trim your videos. Waiting 50 seconds for you to start your swing… is 50 seconds I'd prefer to do something else. :-D

• Like 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Thank you very much, Iacas, very helpful images! When coming down on the downswing, should I be thinking about actively rotating my forearms like the sequence of images below?  

hogan_wrist_action.jpg

As for the grip, I actually had to change my grip over to a stronger grip about a week ago, as I was gripping it way too much in the palm. I've moved to placing it into my finger pads & finger trips, which greatly helped my accuracy, but still suffering from those occasional pushes and slices. 

Sorry about the video length, I'll make sure to put timestamps so the videos start at the proper time. Thanks again!

I just did a couple of slow motion practice swings at home, I can defintly tell I need to keep a stronger swing angle at impact, you're right on the money! My question is, should I be changing my wrist angle on my backswing to ensure the correct angle on contact? Or is it just a matter of keeping my left wrist strong and in front of the club through impact? 

My apoligies about the second post, I couldn't figure out how to edit the last to add this little tid-bit after doing some swings. Cheers! 

• Administrator
6 hours ago, BaumGolf said:

Thank you very much, Iacas, very helpful images! When coming down on the downswing, should I be thinking about actively rotating my forearms like the sequence of images below?

No. I'd just focus on the wrist arching.

5 hours ago, BaumGolf said:

I just did a couple of slow motion practice swings at home, I can defintly tell I need to keep a stronger swing angle at impact, you're right on the money! My question is, should I be changing my wrist angle on my backswing to ensure the correct angle on contact? Or is it just a matter of keeping my left wrist strong and in front of the club through impact? 

I wouldn't do it during the backswing. It'll probably want to reverse itself on the downswing.

41 minutes ago, iacas said:

No. I'd just focus on the wrist arching.

I wouldn't do it during the backswing. It'll probably want to reverse itself on the downswing.

Roger that! Thank again for all the great information, I'll head to the range tomorrow to work on it and report back with more video later! 🙂

• Administrator
18 minutes ago, BaumGolf said:

Roger that! Thank again for all the great information, I'll head to the range tomorrow to work on it and report back with more video later! 🙂

Practice properly:

Note: This thread is 2144 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!