IGNORED

“Legitimate” mulligan via stroke and distance?

RJN12
Note: This thread is 2113 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

6 hours ago, jlbos83 said:

The player can choose to call his ball unplayable in any circumstance.  He is the only judge of this.  In the case you mention here he was taking one of the water hazard options, rather than an unplayable lie.  One could decide his ball sitting right next to the hole is unplayable, and go back to where he hit previously, at the cost a stroke.  Of course, he could be rightfully called a sandbagger, at that point!

OK all, forgive me for missing that one can declare an unplayable when ever they want. In many instances it doesn't make sense but yes there are rare instances where it might. For instance...

At a course called "Jay Peak" in Vermont, on a par 4 hole, #10 for those of you that have played there, it has an almost UN-walkable uphill fairway from the 100 yard marker to the green. As I recall the green is a large 3 tier green and sloped back to front and the front of the green is a false front with the approach to the green shaved so it is almost as fast as the green. In other words don't land it short or it'll come right back to you all the way to the 100 yard stick. Seen it happen. Anyway that day the greens were lightning and I was at the 100 yard stick taking my second shot. I'd played there before so I took enough club to carry it to the middle tier. When I arrived at the green my mark was on the middle tier but the ball had released all the way to the back of the top tier and the pin was in the front. It had 3 putt written all over it but I was playing well and wanted very badly to 2 putt this one and further separate myself from the group. I just touched it, but unfortunately it was too much and as it picked up speed going down the tiers, it not only rolled off the green but back down the hill and all the way to the 100 yard stick. I guess I could have declared an unplayable there (something I wasn't aware of) and go back and putt again for a one stroke penalty hoping that a successfully attempted second 2 putt would have gotten me a double. As it was my fourth shot from 100 yards landed a little more left and checked this time on the middle tier and I dropped a lucky putt I had no business making for a bogey.

I'm not sure even if I knew I could have declared it unplayable, that I would have. That was a dangerous putt from way back there and luckily my choice worked out, but I get it and I've learned something. Thanks for the education, it's why I'm out here.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/18/2018 at 8:30 AM, HonestyPolicy said:

And today you are required to re-tee and hit 3 from the tee if your first ball goes out of bounds. I understand in 2019 there is talk of allowing you to take a lateral drop near the first balls entry point into the OB and be hitting 4 from there. 

I actually thought of that rule before.Friends would say just drop there and hit 3 as if a red hazard but I said it should be as if u already reteed and hit since its ob stakes therefore keeping you from having to walk back and hit again.

Note: This thread is 2113 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!