IGNORED

Golf in Milwaukee?

ZANDER1994
Note: This thread is 1962 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I grew up in Milwaukee but moved to Minneapolis in 2012 for school. Here in the Twin Cities, there is a wonderful, amazing deal called the Public Country Club. For $55/month (roughly $700 per year) I can play unlimited golf at most public courses in my area, if I walk, for free. 

This program has been a significant quality of life factor for me. As a recent graduate, I have a very small budget for entertainment. For the past few years, I have golfed pretty much every afternoon, seven days a week through Spring, Summer and Fall. 

I am now thinking of moving back to Milwaukee to be with my family. But I've done the math, and without a program like this, I'd be looking an increase of a couple thousand dollars a year. I haven't been able to find anything remotely close to this other than joining an extremely cheap country club. Does anyone in the Milwaukee area know of any good deals I am simply overlooking? Is a program like this as unheard of as it feels like? At this point it's becoming a significant factor in not moving cities.

• Thumbs Up 1

That is a very good deal. You may not find something that good, but I bet you can find something close.

Did you see this? 

Little bit pricier than my City of Dayton (OH) pass. I got a $450 pass that has a $5 per round fee. But a lot more courses to choose from.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

46 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

That is a very good deal. You may not find something that good, but I bet you can find something close.

Did you see this? 

Little bit pricier than my City of Dayton (OH) pass. I got a $450 pass that has a $5 per round fee. But a lot more courses to choose from.

I did not see this! Thank you very much! Not sure how I missed it after several google searches. I think this is only marginally more expensive - only a couple hundred dollars more per year. If anyone here has golfed these courses, I'd love to hear from you 😄

17 minutes ago, ZANDER1994 said:

I did not see this! Thank you very much! Not sure how I missed it after several google searches. I think this is only marginally more expensive - only a couple hundred dollars more per year. If anyone here has golfed these courses, I'd love to hear from you 😄

No problem.

Especially in the American midwest, most cities of any size have some sort of golf program. Most of them offer these sort of membership/pass options. ... Now, of course, these are munis. Some are better than others, but look for playable and not fancy. Good luck to you.

I have played a number of them. Whitnall was my "home course" for many years.  Lots of mature trees and bit long for a muni.  Oakwood was just designed when I was there, but after the first round I felt that when the trees matured, this would be a course where course planning would come into play. Have to decide either to go for it big time or accept laying up.  Only played Dretzka once and, to be honest, I do not recall doing well.

Brown deer was the site of the Greater Milwaukee Open.  The is closest to a true tournament course in the county.  Long with some narrow fairways and some sand traps that I would rather forget. For a good player, this muni style course will have a lot of challenges.  

The other regulation courses are not bad, but again, mainly played them in HS and college summers.  The executive courses have some challenges, but not too many and the Par 3's are good short shot practice rounds but not all that hard, as I recall..

I have seen many other munis over my time golfing, but these are good challenges.  They are usually quite rolling in terms if play.  For unlimited golf, you could do worse. Great place to play as you get ready to play Kohler's lake front wonders  and Erin Hills.

1 Brown Deer, 2 Whitnall 3 Oakwood in my playing experience. The courses do fill up rather quickly so reserving teatimes is a must, and it was so in the late 1960's when I started.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Note: This thread is 1962 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!