IGNORED

XR 16 Stock Speeder Stiff?

hoganbenn
Note: This thread is 1913 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi....are the xr 16 stock speeder shafts on the flexible side?

synopsis ….bought son xr driver with stock fujikura shaft... He hated it so I tried it and I hated it too. Face seemed very unforgiving and fujikura shaft seemed dead. Luckily, the club developed an issue and Callaway replaced it for free with an xr 16 driver with a stock stiff speeder shaft. My son didn't want to try it because the xr sucked ...he is sticking with the Titleist driver I got him for cheap on Kijiji.

I noticed that the stiff speeder seemed kind of flexible...more like a reg or firm so I thought I might be able to use it. I went to the local golf box store and tried their stiff speeder xr 16 and their reg speeder xr 16 in the sim. Despite the huge initial doubts of the golf box guy, with my midwinter 88 mph swing speed I hit the stiff xr 16 speeder higher and farther than the reg xr16 speeder. The Reg speeder seemed quite whippy\flexible. Ps... I compared the stiff speeder to a stiff mizuno just by wiggling them and the mizuno stiff was stiff as a board and the speeder stiff would ...well, wiggle a bit. I also noticed online that a lot of xr owners state that they found xr 16s far better than their xrs.

Edited by hoganbenn
Spelling

• iacas changed the title to XR 16 Stock Speeder Stiff?

Yes, it was until I broke it and had them cut off an inch from the tip and 2” from the butt. Then it was closer to a stiff 😁

Now, I’m using my Son’s old Titleist 910 73 gram Diamana 😂

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hey thanks...I forgot to mention that I have stiff steel taylormade lite shafts in my rescue mid hybrids and I was using my son's stiff byyou titleist 906f 18.5 five wood because the stiff gave me straighter, more accurate shots. Apex3 steel shafts in my apex edge pros, but who knows, maybe apex 4s would work. Ps....I should start a dad's thread about clubs you are now using because you spent big money on them for your kid. Son now gets kijiji deals.

2 hours ago, hoganbenn said:

Hey thanks...I forgot to mention that I have stiff steel taylormade lite shafts in my rescue mid hybrids and I was using my son's stiff byyou titleist 906f 18.5 five wood because the stiff gave me straighter, more accurate shots. Apex3 steel shafts in my apex edge pros, but who knows, maybe apex 4s would work. Ps....I should start a dad's thread about clubs you are now using because you spent big money on them for your kid. Son now gets kijiji deals.

Right there with you! 😂

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I have the Speeder 661 regular in a driver and 5W shaft and it doesn’t feel too flexible to me. I also have a Fujikura Motore F3 in stiff. It’s lighter but seems similar to the 661 but the tip and butt feel a tad stiffer. I like both. I think the Speeder line had a bunch of options though, so they may be different.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

4 hours ago, boogielicious said:

I have the Speeder 661 regular in a driver and 5W shaft and it doesn’t feel too flexible to me. I also have a Fujikura Motore F3 in stiff. It’s lighter but seems similar to the 661 but the tip and butt feel a tad stiffer. I like both. I think the Speeder line had a bunch of options though, so they may be different.

Might be just a specsmanship thing that fujikura played to get properly fit shafts into the hands of the general public?

That is, they marked the shafts stiffer than what they did on past models, so the average joe would pick up a regular shaft thinking it’s a stiff?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 7:43 PM, Lihu said:

Might be just a specsmanship thing that fujikura played to get properly fit shafts into the hands of the general public?

That is, they marked the shafts stiffer than what they did on past models, so the average joe would pick up a regular shaft thinking it’s a stiff?

I think you are right....we had another super rare warm December day up here and I got out on a course with the Stiff Speeder x16 and a Taylormade r580 with a stock taylormade stiff shaft to compare it too. The Taylormade was way too stiff for me, but the supposedly stiff xr 16 stiff was great. The stiff Speeder is really just a firm...it gave me straighter shots than my regular nv shaft in my callaway 460 driver, but with the same distance so I am going with it which is great because I was originally on the hook for the xr driver that sucked.

On 12/30/2018 at 6:42 PM, hoganbenn said:

I think you are right....we had another super rare warm December day up here and I got out on a course with the Stiff Speeder x16 and a Taylormade r580 with a stock taylormade stiff shaft to compare it too. The Taylormade was way too stiff for me, but the supposedly stiff xr 16 stiff was great. The stiff Speeder is really just a firm...it gave me straighter shots than my regular nv shaft in my callaway 460 driver, but with the same distance so I am going with it which is great because I was originally on the hook for the xr driver that sucked.

Yeah, there’s a huge difference in the way shaft makers mark the stiffness. Even within the same brand name but different models.

I think the best way is to possibly look at shaft weight?

The sub-60 gram shafts on the XR16 tend to indicate a flexible shaft. I was wondering if it was my imagination or not what you’ve observed.

Not really a big deal though, it’s always good to get fit and that would take any of these factors out of the picture.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 1913 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!