IGNORED

help me look for a new set of irons for a ~5 hdcp player

Note: This thread is 5777 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi there,

I am just getting back into the game after a year layoff. I've been playing roughly 20 years, since I was 12 years old .. I played competitively in high school and at the college level, upon leaving college i was about a 1 - 2 handicap.

Now, 10 years later, a kid later, I'm going to get back into playing quite a bit more .. more to get my daughter into the game, she's 6 now and has expressed an interest ..

First time I swung a club this year was yesterday at a range trying out a few new clubs, I still got it at least .. hit a lot of solid shots ..

I have no idea what the new technology is .. i was working in golf shops in the mid '90's when the rave was the big bertha / great big bertha, titleist DCI, Ping ISI, Tommy Armour 845s, and titanium was just coming on the market.

Anyways .. the set of clubs I currently own are tommy armour 845s titanium insert irons .. 2 - PW .. these irons are great .. they got a nice soft feel yet very forgiving .. the only issue is I hit them rather high .. I'm 6'5" .. so I've got a high arc to my swing.

At the range yesterday I had tried the Titleist AP2 forged .. the 7 iron i was hitting as far as my 845 5 iron .. and the ball flight was lower than the 5 iron .. but alas .. I don't think I can do forged blades, at least for now .. I've still got a set of early 80's titleist tour model blades at home I used through college, haha.

The look of the old 845's is about my favorite cavity back look .. except the 8 - PW .. I don't like the curved top ..

What other irons should I try? .. I don't want to go in next time blind to the new technology ..

I tried a few drivers as well .. I still play a Taylor R580 .. I swung a new Tour Burner TP .. and I think I'm gonna pick one of those up along with a 3 wood ..

believe it or not my 3 wood right now is a Callaway Bobby Jones! talk about old school! haha.

Sean

What's in the bag:
Driver: TaylorMade R11S 9 degree.  Set to upright 8 degree.  Aldila RIP Alpha 60s X flex shaft.

3 wood: TaylorMade 13 degree RocketBallz (coming shortly).. X Flex Matrix X Conn.

Hybrids: 2iron / 4iron Taylor Burner Rescue.

Irons: 5 - PW 2008 Model Year Titleist AP2

Wedges: 49*, 54* 60* Cleveland 588 Rusties.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi Long.

Balls: Titleist Pro VX

Bag: Titleist Black / Red Staff

Try as many as you can. I recommend if you want something with a little more forgiveness, try ou the Adams sets and Cobra sets. They have a ton of forgiveness and just play very well.

How about a combo set of blades and cavity back irons? Mizuno or Titleist?

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

4 u ill go with Mizzy mp-67 or better yet mp-57, But i c u like titleist so AP2 are great or the ZM all very good good clubs. Maybe look at the TaylerMade
R7tp good too hope this helps.

Titleist 905R 10.5* w/ Avix Tour Red 69(X)
Titleist 906F4 13.5* w/ Aldila VS Proto 80(S)
Titleist 585H 17 deg w/ S300
Titleist 690.mb w/ S300
Vokey SM 56 degVokey SM 60 degSCOTTY CAMERON STUDIO STAINLESS NEWPORT 2

If you liked the AP2s, but you think they are a bit too much, demo the AP1s.

Good luck.

TaylorMade r7 Superquad 9.5° -- RE*AX 65 S
Cobra S9-1 F 3w 15.5° -- JavlnFX M7 R
Adams Idea Pro Hybrid #3 20° -- Aldila VS Proto Hybrid 80 R
Titleist AP1 4-PW,W -- DG HL S300
Cleveland CG14 BlackPearl 54° -- Traction WedgeCleveland CG14 BlackPearl 58° -- Traction WedgeNeverCompromis...

Just got my MP-57's yesterday, and wow....definitely should give these a look. I played w/ the Cobra FP's, just too bulky and forgiving...the mp-57's are a perfect blend.

well . just got back from the store .. i tried the following:

titleist AP2, AP1..
mizuno MP57, 67, 60
Taylor made tour burner, r7 tp

and I walked out with:

tour burners. I liked the look, nice clean lines, best trajectory out of what I hit .. I was hitting the 7 iron about 160 - 170 without a glove and no real tempo yet ..

so, I picked up the tour burners .. plus got lucky as my shop stocks them 1" long and 2deg up which is my exact fit.

oh,

also walked out with an R7 superquad driver and Tour Burner TP 14.5 degree 3 wood.

hehe.

first full set I've bought in about 8 or 9 years.

taking the day off tomorrow and goin to play my first round with 'em.

Sean

What's in the bag:
Driver: TaylorMade R11S 9 degree.  Set to upright 8 degree.  Aldila RIP Alpha 60s X flex shaft.

3 wood: TaylorMade 13 degree RocketBallz (coming shortly).. X Flex Matrix X Conn.

Hybrids: 2iron / 4iron Taylor Burner Rescue.

Irons: 5 - PW 2008 Model Year Titleist AP2

Wedges: 49*, 54* 60* Cleveland 588 Rusties.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi Long.

Balls: Titleist Pro VX

Bag: Titleist Black / Red Staff

Note: This thread is 5777 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!