IGNORED

Hybrid

Note: This thread is 5682 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm looking for a "new" hybrid. I've been looking at the Ping G10, the Ping Rapture, the Taylor Made Burner (07), and the Nike SQ. Any suggestions.

Oh and by the way I've heard that Ping's are really forgiving, is that true?

I've got two different sets of hybrids -- the Adams Idea Pro 2H and 3H, and Nike Slingshots 2H and 3H.

I like them both, and got the Adams because I'm an equipment-head and somebody recommended them as "the best." They are great clubs, but I have trouble hitting the 2H with consistency unless it's sitting up, which isn't what I'm looking for in a recovery wood.

The Nike Slingshots, on the other hand, I can hit anywhere, anytime, off of anything, and they are my go-to clubs for virtually every longer approach shot -- every par 5 has me hitting them once. A smooth swing for me gets me 200-210 with the 2H and 185-195 with the 3H. They are super-cheap now, since the new models are coming out -- I think you can get them for $59 or so at TGW.com, marked down from $149 or so a year ago.

In my C-130 Cart Bag:

Driver: Titleist D2 10.5° Aldila R.I.P. 60
Woods Exotics CB4 15° Aldila R.I.P. 70
Hybrids Exotics CB4 17°, 22° Aldila R.I.P. 80 

Irons 4-PW MP-57 Project X 6.0, MP-29 PW

Wedges  Eidolon 52°, 60° Rifle Spinner 6.5

Putter Bettinardi BB12

Ball One Black

Rangefinder Nikon Laser 500"Golf...

The 2 I have are TM Burner. I'm impressed with both. One is the 18* (or is it 19?) 3 and the other th 25* 5. Even from the rough, I can hit the 3 straight and about 170. From a good fairway lie more like 190.

Lately I've been using the 5 hybrid on 170ish shots from fairway to green. It plays really high and nearly dead-straight. No way I could hit a 5-IRON anywhere nearly as consistenly as the hybrid. On a 175 yard par-3, the 5 hybrid backed OFF the green! High trajectory, soft landing and good spin.

Current config of clubs is driver, 3/5 hybrids and 6-LW. Given that fairway woods have never worked well for me, the hybrids have been a welcome addition.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Dont know what local shops you have around you, but try to find one that has Nickents. Hit one a few times and see how it works out for you.

In my Vector
Driver:
Hybrids: 3DX RC #3IW and #4IW
Irons: 3DX RC 5-PW
Wedges: SW from my old setPutter: $15 from Wal-Mart (works for me!)Ball: Currently trying out E6

I have the Cleveland Hibore. It is very easy to hit and forgiving. Although I have never used it the Cobra baffler is supposed to be very good.
adams.gif Speedline fast 10 9.5˚
adams.gif Speedline fast 10 15˚
adams.gif A7 17˚
adams.gif Idea Pro 3-PW
mizuno.gif MP T-11 52˚, MP T-10 58˚  cameron.gif Red X  titleist.gif NXT

Depends on what you're looking for. On the slightly more player's side, the bridgestone j36 and adams idea pro gold are great hybrids. They're both definitely not closed (although I did have some left issues with the j36 even though anyone else that hit mine did not). I'm in love with my idea pro gold right now. The one place the j36 was better was out of rough and sketchier lies.

XTD Pro - 9.5* - GD YSQ
GS Tour - 15* -GD Red Ice
Rescue TP - 17* - Fujikura TP
Idea Pro Gold - 20* - Mitsubishi JavlnFX
MP-30, 4-PW - Standard Lofts / 2* flat - TT DG RAC Z TP (54*/10*) X-Forged (60*/10*)Scotty Cameron TeI3 - 35"

Note: This thread is 5682 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!