IGNORED

Information and insight into iron selection

Bosock
Note: This thread is 5305 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi all,

My first original post and time to get some advice and insight on my iron selection to complete my golf bag...well still have wedges to go but not getting them until the new Clevelands come out.

Ok, some info on me and buying habits. I am a mid 80s to recently high 80s golfer. Playing with old Titliest TDRs (1996) and struggling a bit with my irons lately. I have been a 5-6 time golfer a year over past 10 years but have really caught the bug this year and truly motivated in getting better and playing regularly...have been golfing more this year then last 5-6s combined. Now in building my setup I am, lets say a frugal, but not totally price motivated shopper. Example is for my Driver, after looking at Callaways, Ping, Taylormades, and the lot, I chose an 07 Burner, as it hit as good, if not better as the rest, and was also a good deal cheaper. Do not regret that buy. Putter I got the new Nike over the Cleveland (the two that felt the best to me) even though it was more money as it felt better. I ended up purchasing the 09 Cleveland Launcher fairway woods (3 and 5 wood) as i hit them and they felt great and the shop gave me a great deal on them. I hit a couple other fairway woods and really liked the Clevelands. My short list was between the Launchers and 07 burner fairway woods but they did not have a set of the burners, didn't know when they would get in, and the 07 burners were actually more money. I am hitting a round today and will give some feedback on the launchers.

I am looking for a set of improvement clubs that are forgiving but has decent distances in the clubs. Now i was originally looking at the Taylormade R7's as I was informed by one of the salesman at a local shop (do not know if appropriate to give shops name) that they have pretty much same technology as the 09 burners and they are going to have a sick deal on them either before or after christmas (will be priced in the low 300s or high 200s not determined). Then I am told there is a lot of difference between the two and the burners are stock full of the latest technology, which R7 doesn't have, like the new changes in weight distribution in the clubs. Was going back between these two and hit (into a make shift net) a 6 iron Cleveland CB7 gold that felt great. The Mizunos MX 200 also felt good, but not as good as the Clevelands. The Burners also felt great as did the R7s. Again, i cant bring myself to make a regular swing in one of these store nets so my assessment of these clubs are based on a half hearted 1/2 swing at best.

Ok, hopefully i have given you some background, without boring you to death, so that you can provide me some of your suggestions and insight into recommendations for an iron set to complete my bag. Any of you have used R7s, 09 Burners, Cleveland CG7 golds, or Mizuno's. Do you have another set you would like to recommend that I haven't mentioned. They say the Clevelands are clunky...any idea as to what that means. Will I see a major difference in R7s and 09 Burners. Anyone using the CG7's or the Mizuno clubs. I know eventually it will come down to getting comfortable with whatever purchase i make. However, like the 07 Burner, if tech hasn't changed that much why not get the R7s. Irons have been most definitely hardest decision in my bag build. One other note, Cleveland has a promo going if you buy there clubs you can exchange in next two years for new set for free. Anyone know anything about this, is it a hassle, is it true or is there some gimmick, what you all think of Company. Any insight into any of the iron sets i have mentioned, or irons you would like to recommend, would be greatly appreciated. Am not brand loyal, and researching clubs is becoming overwhelming as all articles and reviews on everything is always so positive. Anyway, thanks and looking forward to hearing some of your feedback here...thanks.

The Cleveland deal seems pretty straight forward and generous too, just exchange your set for the new model when it comes out. They are one of my favorite golf companies and make some good clubs. Try out their launcher combo irons/hybrids. The reference to the golds being clunky is due to their thicker top line and sole, the same critisism is said of many game improvement clubs.
I would also demo the Ping g10 or g15's, a little pricey but hold their value better than anything else and very high quality clubs.
Another good iron set is the Nike Victory Red full cavity, they are very forgiving without looking too 'clunky'.
adams.gif Speedline fast 10 9.5˚
adams.gif Speedline fast 10 15˚
adams.gif A7 17˚
adams.gif Idea Pro 3-PW
mizuno.gif MP T-11 52˚, MP T-10 58˚  cameron.gif Red X  titleist.gif NXT

Thanks for response whestone. Now based on link you no doubt are recommending the Cobra SZ. Why do you recommend these over the others mentioned. Website is very informative, but looking on each of the sites have you thinking those are the best. The only two real golf shops in the area, one sells Cobra and the other does not. In the one that does, the salesman, who also informed me he was a golf pro, was all over the Taylormades and Pings I think. The other shop that didn't was high on the TMs, Cleveland and Mizuno. So any insight or personal feedback you have with these clubs will be greatly appreciated.

Walfice, also like to thank you for response. If you read the details it says you have to exchange the set for equal priced clubs or greater. Wondering if that means you have to pay the difference? Anway, after hitting my cleveland fairway woods (launchers) I am seriously considering the Cleveland CG7 Golds. Hit my 3 wood off the tee for 280 yards and felt great. Was hitting the 5 wood out of the fairway great all day. Felt good, sounded good, and flew great. They get up quick but i have no problem with that what-so-ever.

Well i am still no closer to making my decision, so please, let the comments come. My short list are R7s, TM Burners, Cleveland CG7 golds, and maybe the Mizunos. Have not received to much info, though site is very good, on the Cobras as they compare to others in hitting and forgiveness. Anyway, for those that commented thanks again, for others, still would love to hear your input, biased towards one brand or not.

I play with a fellow who uses the Cleveland Hibore irons with a graphite shaft. They are an amazingly easy club to hit well.
I went with the '09 Burners because of the complement of design features and technologies found in them. First a unique sole design, one the R7 does not have. The soles are cut away at the toe and heel which reduces the initial sole drag at impact and reduces the lift out drag at egress. While the R7 has the inverted cone it does not have the progressive design paradigm of the Burners either; progressive head size, offset, and COR. This means the Burners deliver major game improvement characteristics in the long difficult irons and become decent gamer clubs in the short clubs; that made the Burners the most rational club out there for me.

Current Bag
Ogio Synchro cart
'07 Burner Driver, 3 Fairway, and Rescue 5
Early Titelist Cavities
200 56, Spin milled 60 , Rossa  Suzuka

I recommended looking into the SZ's because they've worked very well for me. I don't have personal experience with the other irons you're looking at. I hit the SZ's high and straight, and as someone prone to mis-hit, I can definately say they don't make you pay as dearly for your mistakes. I play the stiff Nippon shafts.

Thanks for response whestone. Now based on link you no doubt are recommending the Cobra SZ. Why do you recommend these over the others mentioned. Website is very informative, but looking on each of the sites have you thinking those are the best. The only two real golf shops in the area, one sells Cobra and the other does not. In the one that does, the salesman, who also informed me he was a golf pro, was all over the Taylormades and Pings I think. The other shop that didn't was high on the TMs, Cleveland and Mizuno. So any insight or personal feedback you have with these clubs will be greatly appreciated.

I just ordered the new Cobra S2 Irons. I've played the S9 Graphite Stiff and am going to the S2 Steel Stiff. I hit the TaylorMade Burner Irons, (They came in second), The new Ping G15 Irons, the MX-300's from Mizuno and the Nike VR Full Cavity. For me the Cobra's were the most consistent.

Note: This thread is 5305 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!