IGNORED

Driver suggestions?

tws1098
Note: This thread is 5246 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

About me:
5'9" tall
31" floor to wrist
99 mph swing speed

Currently have:
$20 yard sale no name driver
standard length, reg. flex, 10.5 loft

I have tried:
08 Burner
diablo
r7
dymo
-I was advised by two guys working at Dick's to go with a stiff shaft and 9/9.5 loft based on my swing speed and trajectory.
-All above clubs were, therefore, hit with a stiff shaft and 9/9.5 loft. My swing speed hovered around 100 with a small warmup and it was increasing slightly with each swing. I was told my trajectory was right on or very close with each club.

Sooooo question for you all...
If you were hitting your current driver 240 yds all day with either a small push or no movement, would you look into better equipment in hopes of hitting the ball longer (and possibly straightening out the push with a stiffer shaft) or be satisfied with what you have? I feel like a lot more is on the table, but with being relatively new I am not sure if that is mainly in my swing and do not need to waste money on an unnecessary driver.

I understand there will be differing view points. Just looking for some insight from some seasoned players. Thanks everyone.

08 Burner.
Or go get fitted for better results.

In my Xtreme Sport bag
'09 Burner 9.5*
F50 15* 3 Wood
Burner 18* 5 Wood
MX-19 4-GW SV Tour 54.12 & 58.08 White Hot 2-Ball SRT

About me:

If and only if you hav the money id try the cobra zl it has a decent feel and is prob alot more forgiving than ur driver.

In My Hank Haney IJGA Bag
Driver: FT Tour 9.5 w/ Aldila Voodoo Stiff
3 Wood: i15 15.5 w/ avixcore red stiff
Hybrids: Rescue 09 19, 22 w/ fujikara fit on stiff
Irons: 4 & 5 MP-52, 6-PW MP-58 w/ KBS Tour Stiff Wedges: MP T-10 52*, 58* w/ KBS Tour StiifPutter: Fastback 1 34 inBall: : Pro...

cleveland hibore xls for sure.. it shoots bomb darts. you can get the 9.5* stiff.. and if you like higher trajectory get the fujikura gold.. if you like a little more boring/lower trajectory get the fujikura red.

:cobra: Speed ld-f 10.5 Stiff
:snake_eyes: 3 & 5 Woods
:adams:A4 3 hybrid
:bridgestone: J33 Forged Irons 4-pw
:ping: 50th Aniv. Karsten Ansr Putter56*, 60* wedges

If and only if you hav the money id try the cobra zl it has a decent feel and is prob alot more forgiving than ur driver.

Do I really need a more forgiving driver if I am already hitting the ball straight down the fairway?

you could try the titleist 909 drivers. I hit the 909 D2 9.5 degrees and it had a great trajectory with the aldila voodo stiff shaft. It regularly flew 20 to 30 yards longer than my current 40$ driver according to trackman. I'm really looking foward to hitting some 280 yarders on the course when I get it in a few months.

you could try the titleist 909 drivers. I hit the 909 D2 9.5 degrees and it had a great trajectory with the aldila voodo stiff shaft. It regularly flew 20 to 30 yards longer than my current 40$ driver according to trackman. I'm really looking foward to hitting some 280 yarders on the course when I get it in a few months.

I never really considered Titleist for some reason, I will look into that. Thanks.

What's the rest of your game like? With a 28 Handicap, I think I'd spend my money elsewhere.

That said, I think the HiBore is a good suggestion. How'd you hit the R7? That's what I currently play, and like it a lot. I've also had some great success with the Diablo Draw.

What's the rest of your game like? With a 28 Handicap, I think I'd spend my money elsewhere.

Well as far as my handicap goes, I am still relatively new so I am conservative with the number I say. It will continue to drop as I continue to learn as my scores have been improving steadily. I am also getting lessons from my uncle (scratch golfer) who has been playing for many years and is far more knowledgeable than I may ever be haha.

With that said, I enjoyed hitting the r7. It had a good feel, in general I think I liked the feel of TM followed by Nike out of the clubs I have tried. What makes you like your r7? And why would you suggest the HiBore?

Don't read this as snarky, it's not. But as a 28 handicapper and being new to the game, if you're hitting it 240 and straight, there are a lot of areas that you need to concentrate before worrying about the driver. The biggest mistake we make is spending time and energy on things we do well. It makes sense, because it's more fun.

My advice would be to find something used, or on the clearance rack for under $100 and use it for a year until you've developed your swing further. It's going to be miles ahead of what you've got now, and you can stash away the extra money to put toward irons, wedges, a putter, etc.

If you're hitting it 240 and straight, you're already ahead of the game and you should be able to shoot in the 90s in no time. As someone who plays with a lot of guys who have no clue where their drives are going but manage to finish around 100, if you're consistent off the tee, that's half the battle.

Driver: Nike Covert Tour | 3W: Callaway X Hot Pro | Irons: Mizuno JPX-800 Pro X100 SS | Wedges: Vokey SM 54-08, Vokey Raw 60-12 | Putter (of the week): Arnold Palmer "The Original" 33"

Don't read this as snarky, it's not. But as a 28 handicapper and being new to the game, if you're hitting it 240 and straight, there are a lot of areas that you need to concentrate before worrying about the driver. The biggest mistake we make is spending time and energy on things we do well. It makes sense, because it's more fun.

That is a huge asset...to know that you are gonna pound your tee ball to the correct spots. 240 and accurate.....I'm jealous. Those are great results.

I never really considered Titleist for some reason, I will look into that. Thanks.

I've recently oohed and ahhed over the 909D series. I really like them. I went with the DComp for it's additional forgiveness and slightly higher trajectory drives ( I need both as I tend to overswing with driver and also want more carry).

If I was nutting the sweetspot as you seem to be, then I'd look at the D3. Some of the best new prices I found were at Dan's Discount Golf (google for them). They take the specs you give them and place the order with Titleist....club comes to you from Titleist. Another Titleist driver that really does rock is the 905R. You can ebay for one in good shape for a good price. These are really some nice sticks...460cc head that can do it all. Very solid club with a very loyal following. My suggestion would be to go somewhere and get fitted up. It doesn't have to be some involved expensive fitting either.....you just want to ballpark it and see. You can go somewhere like Dicks Sporting Goods and demo a number of sticks in their simulator. Trust me, these guys get bored as heck and love it when someone asks for their help in making club selections. Hit on their launch monitors and let the numbers guide you. There are many "on sale" clubs that may work really well. This past year has seen, hands down, the best club deals ever seen in the game. I club hoe'd a number of drivers and fairway woods for very little expense. It was a learning process. Don't be one of those nuts who has to have the "perfect" club. You'll go mad trying to ensure this....and your swing will evolve over time as you really get your teeth into the game. Get something that works very well for you now....without spending a ton of cash. Develop your tastes as your game progresses. Enjoy the process. I so wish I had been in your shoes when I began playing....hitting nice tee balls. I could have spent much more time honing a short game right from the start.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

the titleist 909d2 is a great driver and the price just dropped to $299 recently
DRIVER: titleist 910d3 9.5* project x 6.0
3WOOD: titleist 910fd 15* project x 6.0
HYBRID: titleist 910h 19* project x 6.0
IRONS: titleist 710 ap2 3-pw nippon xstiff
WEDGES: titleist vokey 52.08 & 58.08
PUTTER: scotty cameron studio select newport 2

the titleist 909d2 is a great driver and the price just dropped to $299 recently

$269 shipped free and no taxes from Discount Dan's Golf (google for actual site address). That includes custom length and grip. There are a couple of shaft choices, too.

Good luck.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

Note: This thread is 5246 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!