IGNORED

Driver paint chip

Note: This thread is 6043 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was wondering if anyone has applied touch up paint to a club, i.e. their driver. Two days after I got my driver last year I let a buddy hit it at the range and the very first swing he pops it up a mile and leaves a nasty paint chip gash on the club where the top meets the face. It is not that big of a deal but I get mad every time I look at it b/c the guy never even apologized and later thougth so what its going to happen anyway (I have never chiped the paint anywhere else on the club). Needless to say I have never let him hit another one of my clubs but the chip remains...do I just use touch up paint any suggestions?

In my Grom:
Driver: :nike: Sasquatch 9.5° Graffalloy Shaft-Stiff Flex
FW: :nike: 3 (15°) & 5 (19°) Sasquatch Diamana Shaft-Stiff Flex
Hybrid: :touredge: Tour Edge Exotics Ironwood 21° Adila Shaft-Stiff Flex
Irons: :nike: 4-AW OSS Steel Shaft-Stiff Flex
Wedges: :vokey: Vokey Spin Milled 54 and 60
Putter:  :edel: Basic Series 

There's a reason those are known as "idiot marks"!!

Wow, that's going to be tough to fix. Yes, you can certainly use matching touch up paint, but the painted spot won't be level with the surrounding area, so it'll probably still be quite noticeable.

So, after applying the touch up paint, you could GENTLY try some extremely fine wet/dry paper, say 1000 grit, like auto painters use to sand out and level the surface between coats. Then, 1500, then 2000, then rubbing compound, then wax.

If the gods smile on you, it will look like new.

If not, then the spot you're sanding and buffing will get bigger and bigger...

I was wondering if anyone has applied touch up paint to a club, i.e. their driver. Two days after I got my driver last year I let a buddy hit it at the range and the very first swing he pops it up a mile and leaves a nasty paint chip gash on the club where the top meets the face. It is not that big of a deal but I get mad every time I look at it b/c the guy never even apologized and later thougth so what its going to happen anyway (I have never chiped the paint anywhere else on the club). Needless to say I have never let him hit another one of my clubs but the chip remains...do I just use touch up paint any suggestions?

It's funny that you tell this story.

Almost the exact same thing happened to me. I brought my new driver with me to the range and I let my friend try it out. On his backswing, the driver head smacks my irons. I guess I didn't realize how far outside he brings the club. So, at this point the club has a slight dent and paint chip towards the toe. It's pretty minor in the whole scheme of things, but stuff like that bothers me. I took the club to a local golf shop in my area. The repair man suggested auto paint, clear coat, and some sand paper. I ended up having him do it and he charged me $10. It doesn't look perfect, but I guess it's better than before. There's still an indentation, but I just deal with it.

905R 9.5* | Steelhead Plus 15.5*, 18*
MX-25 3-PW | T-Zoid Pro II 3-PW
Vokey SM TC 60.04
Special SI Anser II

Actually I have different situation but similar.
I like everything perfect.
But once I hit my driver. I missed the ball and hit the sole close to shaft. A ball mark on the crown but not very visible. I clean and wax a bit and clean. But if you look carefully at that spot you can still see some mark.
I think best is to forget about it and hit it around then trade it in after a few years. Then you get a brand new club :)

I live by the "If you sky it, you buy it rule." haha. I've heard of some people sending clubs back to Titleist for a new paintjob. Never done it before but maybe it's something to look into with your club manufacturer.

907D2 9.5 Proforce V2 75 S
906F2 15* Proforce V2 95 S
MD 19* Proforce V2 100 S
735 CM 3-PW DG s400 Vokey 200 53.11*/SM 58.08* DG s300 Scotty C. Studio Design 3.5Balls -

Ouch! Yet another reason why I would rather nobody else hit my sticks. I bought a club on ebay once and the seller failed to mention that it had a small skymark (argh!). I used some touch up paint on it. It isn't perfect but looks pretty good. I actually bought the touch up paint on ebay as well. You only need a very little bit. Unfortunately that club is no longer in my bag. I have heard of people using auto painting products as well but can't remember the names.

For best results Im sure you could send it back to the manufaturer. It would also be the most expensive. Get your buddy to pay for it! Good luck.

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

i think i should send my v-steel 3 wood of it is a mess i hit it from anywhere it has 2 full on sky marks that is visible from 10 yards away,,

tom

r7 quad ht
r7 ti 5 wood
duel stiff rescue
ht irons
49 deg 56 deg anser putter pro v1 ball

fingernail polish?

"Just hit the freakin' ball."

In my bag:
-Some Chapstick
-A couple of smelly gloves-Some broken tees-Assorted golf balls-A sharpie-Some money-Sunscreen-Numerous ball markers-Bug Repellant-some band-aids-Kamen Rider!

• 6 months later...

I know my answer comes a little bit late, but I have repaired these "sky" or "idiot marks" myself with a lot of success.

The First thing you need to do is buy spray paint in a can, in the colour you like.

It is important, that you buy synthetic resin paint, otherwise it is possible that the old finish is starting to dissolve under the new paint which looks really ugly.

Now get some fine sandpaper (I used 240) and scratch the old paint on your driver but not until you see the bare metal, all is needed is a scratched surface.

The next thing is taping all the parts you dont want new paint on clean the wood very carefully so that no dust or fingerprint remains on the surface and spray the paint according to the instructions on the can.

Spraying isn't that easy and you should try it out first on some worthless piece of metal, you should also spray outside when it is warm and not in the direct sunlight you cant see bad sprayed parts when everything reflects and the paint smells a little bit.

It is also important to spray several layers of paint and to let the last finish dry for at least 3-4 Days. Synthetic resin paint is very shiny in comparison to acyrlic or nitro paint but drys very slow. If it isn't dry even the headcover can scratch it!

If you want it really professional, strip the whole wood of the old paint, buy yourself an airgun and a compressor, and then go for it with a primer and a scratchresistant two komponent paint. But that was to expensive for my taste

It also looks better if you scratch the whole wood and spray it completely in the colour you want otherwise you will have a tiny line on the wood where the old paint ends and the new one starts

Hope that helps! (Oh and by the way I am doing my idiot marks myself so I cant sell the club )

WitB

R7 Superquad 10.5
R7 Steel 3 Fw
2 Iron Rescue Dual MP 60 3-PW Vokey SM 56.10 Vokey SM 60.08 White Hot XG # 9

Your buddy should have bought the club. Second FWIW and off topic somewhat, I cured myself of sky-marking the driver by hitting the driver off the bare ground which really helped flatten the swing. To me the standard advice of hitting off a "higher" tee to create a flatter swing and hit the ball on the upswing only made my swing steeper.

AHHH...I just bought a brand new three wood and was a the range early in the morning when it was still dark. I was not used to the low profile and I hit it a little to high on the face and put a small mark on the crown. You would of thought I totalled my car. I got home and the first thing I did was get the Sharpie out and fix the spot. Luckily it is a black head and it did the job. I cannot see it at address and can slightly see it if I hold it real close. Now with the low profile, I don't even use a tee.

I remember when my Dad worked in a pro-shop that they routinely carried touch up paint to touch up the demo clubs. You may want to try a club repair or pro shop to see if they have something that will suffice.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Does anybody know if a thin layer of bondo would be prone to crack if applied on the crown of a driver/3 wood? I have always wondered how much the vibration/shock would affect the bondo.

I was screwing around and put a small dent in my driver crown. I would fix it but not if the bondo would fall off after a round or two.

Titleist Bias - 907D2 9.5 V2 Stiff | 906F2 15 V2 Stiff | 710MB 3-PW DG300 | 52, 56 SM Vokes | Tom Slighter - 2007 Tacoma FPR

Note: This thread is 6043 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!