IGNORED

Ping G20 Irons Vs. Callaway Razor X

Note: This thread is 4641 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am in the market for a new set of clubs. I have been using a set of the Ping eye 2 Copper Berillium irons for the past 25 years. I figure its time to move up to some new technology. I am about a 14-16 handicapp. I am looking for a little forgiveness and not really any distance. I have hit the Ping G20 and the Callaway Razor X plus a few other but I have norrowed it down to those two. I like the feel of them both but the both feel very different. Any thoughts on either club. THanks

A thought from skiing:  I have noticed that testers seem to prefer skis most like what they ski already.  A good ski with a novel feel will get very low ratings.  I had such skis a few years back, Salomon Pilots, that had torsional rigidity but were very soft in longitudinal rigidity.  Ski testers who were used to racing skis panned them but once I dialed them in they were very good for me.  I suspect it may be the same with golf equipment.  At a demo day the stuff most like your current stuff feels best, but any good equipment can give good performance once you get used to it.

I am in the market for a new set of clubs. I have been using a set of the Ping eye 2 Copper Berillium irons for the past 25 years. I figure its time to move up to some new technology. I am about a 14-16 handicapp. I am looking for a little forgiveness and not really any distance. I have hit the Ping G20 and the Callaway Razor X plus a few other but I have norrowed it down to those two. I like the feel of them both but the both feel very different. Any thoughts on either club. THanks

I have a set of razr x irons for sale right now, I got them on 7/22/11 I was hitting some top flight pro grinds and thought I would buy some new more forgiving clubs! They are long but there not for me! They are to bulky for me. I am the same handy cap as you, have to tried a cavity back forged iron? I'm looking to get some taylormade tp cb irons, I just left goldsmith and I love them. Good luck on whatever you decide.

Originally Posted by xprostylex

I have a set of razr x irons for sale right now, I got them on 7/22/11 I was hitting some top flight pro grinds and thought I would buy some new more forgiving clubs! They are long but there not for me! They are to bulky for me. I am the same handy cap as you, have to tried a cavity back forged iron? I'm looking to get some taylormade tp cb irons, I just left goldsmith and I love them. Good luck on whatever you decide.

You have only had them a month and you are looking to sell them? My guess is with a 15 handi (like myself)  that you only get out two or three times a month. Correct? I would think it would take a good dozen to two dozen rounds to get adapted to a new club. IMO. I would be very interested in your clubs but I am going the custom fit route this time through. I dont' know if you can change the loft etc with a set of used clubs......well maybe you could but it would not be worth the cost.

As for Skier. I agree and disagree with you. I am an avid skier myself. I have jumped around to all sorts of ski's from K2 to Volkl to Atomic. Some I do like better than the others but I am not a brand name skier. I tested a pair of ????  I can't remember the name of the ski but they got great reviews. Well I tried them out on demo days and on the steep and fast they were chattering like a typewriter. But even with saying that  I do have a certain pull to my ping clubs since I have had them so long. The feel on both clubs is very different. I want to go back again and hit them both again. Last time I hit several clubs before deciding on these two.

Originally Posted by Spaulding

You have only had them a month and you are looking to sell them? My guess is with a 15 handi (like myself)  that you only get out two or three times a month. Correct? I would think it would take a good dozen to two dozen rounds to get adapted to a new club. IMO. I would be very interested in your clubs but I am going the custom fit route this time through. I dont' know if you can change the loft etc with a set of used clubs......well maybe you could but it would not be worth the cost.

As for Skier. I agree and disagree with you. I am an avid skier myself. I have jumped around to all sorts of ski's from K2 to Volkl to Atomic. Some I do like better than the others but I am not a brand name skier. I tested a pair of ????  I can't remember the name of the ski but they got great reviews. Well I tried them out on demo days and on the steep and fast they were chattering like a typewriter. But even with saying that  I do have a certain pull to my ping clubs since I have had them so long. The feel on both clubs is very different. I want to go back again and hit them both again. Last time I hit several clubs before deciding on these two.

Your point about getting in several rounds with the clubs was the one I was trying to make.  BTW, I don't know if a demo day can show screwed up clubs, but I know that many skis are not properly tuned at demo days.  Volkl and Fischer go way out of their way to be well-tuned on demo days.  Some others may not do so well.  I bought Pings, but I am very inexperienced, and wanted a very safe choice, especially since I needed good fitting (tall with short arms).  perhaps you should get feedback from your instructor, if you take lessons, as to what he thinks about how both clubs match your swing and style.

I try to paly 1 or. 2 times per week if not im at the range. I have played about 10 rounds with them and hit them on the range quite a few time, I just don't like how big they are. They are standard lie and loft and no I would not recommend lieing them due to them being cast clubs. Good luck with your buy tho.

Note: This thread is 4641 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!