IGNORED

beginner clubs

Note: This thread is 6116 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

im just beginning and i am wondering if it would be better to buy everything seperate (irons, driver, putter, wedges) or buy a $200-300 set to begin with. i have golfed 4 or 5 times and am really getting into it and know i will be playing a lot this summer if that helps

I did that at first--bought a $200 set of clubs when I was starting out. I found out they were decent clubs, and enough to tell if you're really going to get serious about it. They probably won't be a perfect fit and you'll find you're springing for a new driver in a hurry, but it'd be good to get started (plus, the bag can last forever).

When buying it all seperate, you open a real can of worms, since there's about a billion options for each type of club imaginable.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

I would go to a local golf shop and buy a used set of super game improvement irons. Build your confidence and if you don't like them sell the clubs at little or no loss at all. You really don't hit your driver that often when you start....you try to hit it but usually just gets frustrating.

In My Bag:
Driver: R9 TP 9.5°
Hybrids: Idea Pro, 16°, 20°, VS Proto
Irons: TP MB 4-P
Wedges: Vokey SM 50.08 54°, 60°Putter: NP2

im just beginning and i am wondering if it would be better to buy everything seperate (irons, driver, putter, wedges) or buy a $200-300 set to begin with. i have golfed 4 or 5 times and am really getting into it and know i will be playing a lot this summer if that helps

I think the answer to your question depends on a couple of things.

What are you willing/able to spend on clubs: if you can and wish to buy all new clubs, then by all means, get yourself to a good fitter and get a good set of game improvement irons, hybrids, driver and putter; if you are on a more modest budget, and you can find a good retailer who has a launch monitor, you can still get fitted for the correct flex in the shafts of your clubs, and, perhaps, put together a good set from the used selection of clubs, as well as the closeouts ( I've noticed quite a lot of closeouts of discontinued clubs by almost all the major brands, and these represent really great values ). Even if you get used clubs ( by the major manufacturers ), you may still get much better performers than by buying a "set" put together for you by a lesser club maker. But, if that's the best you can do financially, then go do it and enjoy the game. Either way, you're about to embark on a great adventure! Good luck to you.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

What I did was buy a cheapie set from K-mart and added a couple of wedges to it. When I outgrew that set in about 4 months I stupidly (in hindsight) bought a somewhat nicer complete set from a local clubmaker. My 3 & 4 irons bowed at the topline and the driver I find pretty much useless. I use the 3-wood to tee off and the irons from 4 on up. I replaced the 3i with an Adams 3-hybrid and will soon be buying a new 3-wood, driver and probably 2-hybrid to replace the 5-wood.

Add the fact that the bag I got with that kit was a piece of absolute crap (strap connections broke, no way to carry the bag now) and I paid $300 for a 3-wood and 4-PW irons of dubious quality. I'm back to carrying the much sturdier RAM bag I got with my $130 K-mart set and looking at new carry bags.

In hindsight I wish I'd picked up the irons and bought woods separately. Irons even in pretty inexpensive sets seem pretty solid to me while woods and hybrids from those same sets are pretty junky. I can't even put into words the difference in quality between my set and the Adams 3-iron (a2OS) I recently added.

It's tough because you need something to play with pretty much right away but if you buy cheap stuff you're kind of wasting money because if you stick with golf you will buy more expensive gear down the road. See what works out for you.

• 2 weeks later...
If you are becoming serious about playing, I would recommend looking into a set of fitted clubs. Buying a set of clubs off the shelf will save you some $ but you will soon find out that "you get what you pay for".

If you are like me, you don't want to spend a ton of money on clubs. But you want something that will last more than a season.
Try what I did.
Find out what last years bargains in game improvement irons were. Then search for them on clearance or online. I found a 10 piece set of 2006 Adams irons w\wedges on sale with free freight for less than $150.00. And I just bought an RPM 460 Dual driver for a song($119.00)
I spent money on a new bag and a nice Ping G2 putter(fitted) on sale. I'm borrowing the 3 & 5 woods from a friend till I can round things out next week.
All in all, I spent a little more than a pre-bagged set. But I have equipment that is good enough to get me to the next level of playing.
It's not the latest in go far technology, but it's still nice for a new golfer.
But hey, it's just my opinion.

Mike

Mike, I agree that you can purchase some decent inexpensive golf clubs! However I know from first hand experience that once you are hook on the game, you will want to upgrade you clubs(we all do it). You may want to look at a company on line called 1 Iron Golf inc. They offer an alternative approach to playing golf and golf clubs. Plus they offer a full 30 day guarantee on everything they sell. Its worth a look

While not a beginner, I hadn't played in 10 yrs. Even when I did I shot barely over 100 per 18. A couple weeks ago I was in same boat. Should I spend the $ and get a high quality set, get fitted and so forth, get a used set, get a boxed set for $300 range or go the clone route. Just so happend one Friday night at my local pub I met a teaching pro from one of the local courses and ask him for advise. He advised spending in the $300-$400 range on a set of clubs, being it a boxed set, used or clone. To not worry about getting fitted, unless I was unusualy short or tall, which I'm not, 6'. Save the extra $ for lessons. His reason being a treaching pro can adjust your swing for a given set of clubs, basicly as a beginner your swing will change anyway. Once your swing stabilizes then go get a correct fitting. Also by then you'll have a good idea if you'll be sticking with the game. Based on his advice I seached Ebay found a great deal on a set of Adams A2 OS irons, went to Giga Golf and got a driver, 3 wood, putter and bag. I spent a total of $379. Took my first lesson yesterday and he thought I did very well (club wise that is). He really like the Giga stuff, and said I got a steal on the irons.

• 4 weeks later...
I also just started to play not long ago, but am hooked. I have been probably ten or twelve times. I have been playing with an old set or clubs that are all off brand and cobbled together from some that my grandfather played with back in day. I want to get a pretty nice custom set, but have no idea where to begin looking or really what I am looking for. If anyone has any suggestions, they would be appreciated.

I have had really good luck with my costco set ($250) of Nicklaus V18 clubs. The hybrids are unbelievably good, and the irons aren't bad either. I bought them in March, after I had been hitting balls on the range for 2 months.

After feeling the way a good driver feels at the store (I hit a taylormade) and their virtual driving range, I know I need a new 3 wood and driver.

Right now I am focusing on a course that is a par 32 (9 hole), so its not much of an issue, the longest hole I can nearly GIR with a 3iw.

The putter is stupid, a mallet wannabe odyssey style, everything else is good, including the bag. I only replaced the bag because I needed one that fit on my speed cart.

For now my shopping list is a new putter, I'm thinking a blade odyssey or a scotty cameron.

I think my future will look like the following (probably in the off season, hopefully more closeouts will be available).

Titleist Wedges, Adams Irons, and driver I still need to do my reasearch on. I'll probably buy a 3w as soon as I start playing more longer courses. I'm playing 2 games a week right now.. one on my par 32 9 hole and a game on a standard par 72 18.

In my Matrix XTT bag,
on my Sun Mountain Speed Cart
LD M-Speed 10.5* Driver
V18 full set of starter clubs
3W, 3iw, 4iw, 5-S Irons and Wedges Kirk Currie KC4 PutterHome Course:Pajaro Valley Golf Clubwww.pajarovalleygolf.com

• 1 month later...
I have just started playing golf and was given my dad's old clubs. They are Titleist dci's steel shaft with a stiff flex. I was told that these are some of the hardest clubs to learn with. I know I am going to be playing a lot and was wondering if I should be thinking about getting new clubs that are more forgiving. Could I get any money for these clubs to use towards a new or used set. What are good clubs for a beginner? I already have a nice driver and woods and putter so I am just looking for irons and hybrids.

Note: This thread is 6116 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!