IGNORED

Irons vs. driver swing/weight distribution?

Note: This thread is 4302 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Questions....   I'm a little lost on how my weight distribution should be on set-up from my irons to my driver.

I have a hands-forward,  weight to the left foot  (I'm  a righty)  stance when I play my irons,  and I'm hitting them very well actually.   I try to focus on straight back/butt out etc....

A quick google search found Nick Faldo who appears to have a similar hands-forward,  weight on left-foot approach:

Faldo-posture.jpg

My question is,   I don't feel myself using the same type of set-up for my driver,  because striking down into the ball doesn't feel natural with my driver.....   I more  "Catch it"  on the upswing.

Should I be working on changing the way I hit my driver?    I currently hit the ball fairly well off the tee,  but I just got a new driver so I've only been out twice with it thus-far,  and I'm far more inconsistent with my driver than my irons.

Is a Hands-forward,  and downward strike into the ball common with the driver?

I can only relate my experience. I use the same setup for both. If you search “Faldo driver” on YouTube you’ll see Faldo does, too. It’s the same setup except the club head is further forward because the ball is. You won’t be striking down on the ball because of the forward position of the ball in your stance. The nadir of a correctly made iron swing is slightly in front of the ball -- that’s where your divot will be -- so at the point where the club head strikes the ball you’re “hitting down” on it, but the nadir of a driver swing is at or slightly behind the ball, so you’re “hitting up” on it.

It’s just my opinion, but I think when people say “hands forward” they’re missing the point. At the nadir of a correctly-made swing the club weight and the forces involved because of that weight dictate that there will be a straight line from the shoulder to the club head. That’s going to happen and you can’t change that. A lot of golfers, Faldo included, simply set up that way to begin with. Look at Faldo in the picture. His hands are forward, but that’s irrelevant -- it’s the straight line from the shoulder to the club head which will be re-created during the downswing that’s relevant. I call that a “lower case y” set up, because that’s what it looks like, as opposed to a “Capital Y” setup. I was taught 40 years ago that the “Capital Y” setup forces you -- consciously or unconsciously -- to make dozens of adjustments during the swing because you’re going have to go from a “Capital Y” at setup to a “lower case y” at the nadir, though that’s the way most people, including Tiger Woods, set up. A “lower case y” setup places the club-arm continuum in the position you want it in when the club head strikes the ball, and when you swing your job, which is to re-create the swing-arc, is made easier.

So I make a straight line at setup with my irons, and I make the same straight line setup with my driver, but because the ball is further forward in my stance the club-arm continuum is just a little further along the swing arc.

Note: This thread is 4302 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!