• Announcements

    • iacas

      Create a Signature!   02/05/2016

      Everyone, go here and edit your signature this week: http://thesandtrap.com/settings/signature/.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pipergsm

OB or not?

6 posts in this topic

I play at a small 9 hole course where there are no formal indications for OB.

several of the holes however, lay side by side, separated only by a range of trees.

if my ball ends up on the fairway of the other hole, does that make my ball OB?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Unless there are white stakes marking a OB line between the fairways then no. Also check the scorecard from this course for any local rules.
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by pipergsm

I play at a small 9 hole course where there are no formal indications for OB.

several of the holes however, lay side by side, separated only by a range of trees.

if my ball ends up on the fairway of the other hole, does that make my ball OB?

No.  Out of bounds must be marked or identified in some way, either by white stakes or lines or with boundary fences or other identifiable boundary markers.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Fourputt

No.  Out of bounds must be marked or identified in some way, either by white stakes or lines or with boundary fences or other identifiable boundary markers.

I had an interesting situation the other day.

I was playing a Par 5 that runs alongside a farmer's field and it's not 100% clear where the golf course ends and the field begins.  Along the entire 500 yard length of this hole, there was but one metal stake.  It was a rusty piece of metal, that looked like the kind used to hold up a wire fence.  The stake itself was probably 4 feet long, with the top 3 inches or so of the stake was painted white.

Now, caution being the better part of valor, I made the assumption that because the single stake was alongside a farmer's field that it was intended to mark OB.  However, was I correct in doing so?  If it's not apparent what the only stake around's actual purpose is, does one have to assume it's for OB?

Unfortunately, I forgot to go ask in the clubhouse when I finished my round.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by wadesworld

I had an interesting situation the other day.

I was playing a Par 5 that runs alongside a farmer's field and it's not 100% clear where the golf course ends and the field begins.  Along the entire 500 yard length of this hole, there was but one metal stake.  It was a rusty piece of metal, that looked like the kind used to hold up a wire fence.  The stake itself was probably 4 feet long, with the top 3 inches or so of the stake was painted white.

Now, caution being the better part of valor, I made the assumption that because the single stake was alongside a farmer's field that it was intended to mark OB.  However, was I correct in doing so?  If it's not apparent what the only stake around's actual purpose is, does one have to assume it's for OB?

Unfortunately, I forgot to go ask in the clubhouse when I finished my round.

As fourputt put it, the OB stakes have to be clearly identifiable. In your case this seems not to be the case. Besides, a single stake alone cannot define a margin, there has to be at least two.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To the OP, no, it has to be propery marked.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0