IGNORED

OB or not?

pipergsm
Note: This thread is 4127 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I play at a small 9 hole course where there are no formal indications for OB.

several of the holes however, lay side by side, separated only by a range of trees.

if my ball ends up on the fairway of the other hole, does that make my ball OB?

Originally Posted by pipergsm

I play at a small 9 hole course where there are no formal indications for OB.

several of the holes however, lay side by side, separated only by a range of trees.

if my ball ends up on the fairway of the other hole, does that make my ball OB?

No.  Out of bounds must be marked or identified in some way, either by white stakes or lines or with boundary fences or other identifiable boundary markers.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 months later...
Originally Posted by Fourputt

No.  Out of bounds must be marked or identified in some way, either by white stakes or lines or with boundary fences or other identifiable boundary markers.

I had an interesting situation the other day.

I was playing a Par 5 that runs alongside a farmer's field and it's not 100% clear where the golf course ends and the field begins.  Along the entire 500 yard length of this hole, there was but one metal stake.  It was a rusty piece of metal, that looked like the kind used to hold up a wire fence.  The stake itself was probably 4 feet long, with the top 3 inches or so of the stake was painted white.

Now, caution being the better part of valor, I made the assumption that because the single stake was alongside a farmer's field that it was intended to mark OB.  However, was I correct in doing so?  If it's not apparent what the only stake around's actual purpose is, does one have to assume it's for OB?

Unfortunately, I forgot to go ask in the clubhouse when I finished my round.

Originally Posted by wadesworld

I had an interesting situation the other day.

I was playing a Par 5 that runs alongside a farmer's field and it's not 100% clear where the golf course ends and the field begins.  Along the entire 500 yard length of this hole, there was but one metal stake.  It was a rusty piece of metal, that looked like the kind used to hold up a wire fence.  The stake itself was probably 4 feet long, with the top 3 inches or so of the stake was painted white.

Now, caution being the better part of valor, I made the assumption that because the single stake was alongside a farmer's field that it was intended to mark OB.  However, was I correct in doing so?  If it's not apparent what the only stake around's actual purpose is, does one have to assume it's for OB?

Unfortunately, I forgot to go ask in the clubhouse when I finished my round.

As fourputt put it, the OB stakes have to be clearly identifiable. In your case this seems not to be the case. Besides, a single stake alone cannot define a margin, there has to be at least two.

To the OP, no, it has to be propery marked.

Taylormade 425 R7 Driver- Tour stiff Cobra AMP 3 wood- Stiff Titleist 704 CB irons 2-PW Cleveland 588 wedges- 56 and 60 Ping Pick Em Up- belly putter Taylormade Penta 5 balls

Note: This thread is 4127 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!