IGNORED

Which of these iron sets is better for a beginner?

Note: This thread is 3928 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just between these few

Dunlop 65i

Shaft - Graphite

3,4,5,6,7,8,9,PW,SW

£60 ($90)

MD Golf Surefire X3

Shaft - Steel

Large Sweet Spot for Maximum Forgiveness

5,6,7,8,9,PW,SW

£65 ($100)

Go TP1
5,6,7,8,9,PW,SW

Shaft - Steel

£65 ($100)

As I'm a beginner, should I go with the Dunlop set just for the extra 3 and 4 irons?

I cant be of much help, since im a beginner too, but for a beginner, a 3 iron and 4 iron may not be necessary, particularly if you have a 4 hybrid amd other clubs to help you take the ball out further than your 5 iron. but I would definitely wait to hear what a more experienced golfer has to say

Any chance you can test hit the three, and see which one works best for you?

Also, you might ask your fellow golfers who use them whether they like the irons. I am not familiar with the MD and Go irons, but they might be popular in UK and Europe.

You don't want to spend £500 for beginner grade irons, but also you want to avoid poorly made irons which might wear out quickly. For hints here, ask fellow golfers.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Looking up some reviews it seems the dunlop set isnt very popular while the MD surefire seem to get good reviews. Seeing you are hcp 32 maybe ask yourself if you need to switch set or are you using a borrowed set of irons at the moment?

I recently bought a $200 beginner strata set which had great reviews. lasted me 6 to 7 weeks. The irons were starting to bend at the hosel, and I ended up replacing the whole set, well, im in the process of that. So, if you arr planning to use them often, and or you swing pretty fast, 0

EBAY

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

For the price, I've always been a big fan of Dunlop. Great beginner sets. I learned how to play on a set of Dunlop's. Outside of these lists, I'd also recommend taking a look at the Callaway Strata's and the Wilson Profile HL's. The Wilsons go for around $300 for a new set and about $75-$125 for a used set. They've got a great feel (my brother plays the Wilson set). If you want to even look at a more expensive set, Gigagolf makes some nice feeling clubs. I currently play a set of c510 irons. Anyway you go, for a beginners set you don't need to spend a ton of money. I'd go with the Dunlops based off of that list you listed, but I'd seriously consider the Wilson HL's as well.

In The Bag:

Driver: None

3 Wood: None

5 Wood: Bobby Jones by Jesse Ortiz

2 Iron: Spalding Top Flite 73

4-PW: Giga Golf C510 Pursuit

60 Degree Wedge by Titleist 

Putter: Wilson Harmonized Augusta

Ball: Slazenger Raw Distance Feel

thanks everyone!

I forgot to mention I currently have a Dunlop (TP12) PW, SW, Driver and Putter. I have literally just started and only play pitch and putt, and practice at the range (usually just the PW)

I don't know where the 32.1 HCP came from, I thought I set it to 999

They seem to be okay but I think I need some irons to practice with as well at the driving range, or even using 7-9 on the pitch and putt course.

I was also thinking maybe I should just go for a Dunlop set (£100) which would include everything and a bag too?

thanks again everyone

Again, Dunlop is a great brand to learn the game on. Get a set of Dunlop Irons. Then practice, practice, practice. No need spending money on items you already have. Try to hit the driving range a few times a week and once you get a decent swing going, try playing once a week and not keep score. The score doesn't matter. What matters is what you find within yourself out on the course.

In The Bag:

Originally Posted by Joe Jordan

Again, Dunlop is a great brand to learn the game on. Get a set of Dunlop Irons. Then practice, practice, practice. No need spending money on items you already have. Try to hit the driving range a few times a week and once you get a decent swing going, try playing once a week and not keep score. The score doesn't matter. What matters is what you find within yourself out on the course.

thanks. so do you think I should go for the Dunlop irons, or buy a Dunlop set? or just buy 7-9 irons maybe?

I'd go with the Iron set for 90 pounds and use the other 10 pounds on time at the range. Besides, I'm sure the quality of the club being sold as an Iron set is much higher than the quality of the club being sold in the complete set.

In The Bag:

I'd go with the Iron set for 90 pounds and use the other 10 pounds on time at the range. Besides, I'm sure the quality of the club being sold as an Iron set is much higher than the quality of the club being sold in the complete set.

thanks

the problem with that though is just a dunlop tp13 bag is £32 ($50)

the golf set for £100 is 65i so I think the clubs are the same as the 65i Iron set

If its the same set of Irons and the price difference is only ten pounds then it might be the better deal. However, if the irons in the iron set are of a higher quality, go with the iron set and pick up a bag later.

In The Bag:

If its the same set of Irons and the price difference is only ten pounds then it might be the better deal. However, if the irons in the iron set are of a higher quality, go with the iron set and pick up a bag later.

thanks, I've put in a bid for these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MD-Golf-Surefire-X3-Set-GRAPHITE-Golf-Irons-5-SW-MRH-New-Model-Mens-Golf-Clubs-/310708658462?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Golf_GolfClubs_JN&hash;=item4857ade11e

might go up to £50 maybe (the Dunlops have gone up now, so if I don't get these I might just get the 65i set)

In The Bag:

Note: This thread is 3928 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!