IGNORED

My Swing (Camforreal)

camforreal
Note: This thread is 3899 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Here's an update. I have been working pretty hard on quieting my hips as much as I can. Feel like I have def made some progress. Better results with the irons than the driver for sure. Shot an 81 today and didn't hit a single push off the tee. Ball flight has been much lower and better. Had 7 pars in a row to start the round today. Spun a 9 iron 10 feet back off the green on a soaking wet green. My ball striking felt really good today. Did some dumb stuff on the back to earn me a pair of double bogeys or I might have shot 77-78. It was cold and raining and my morale got lower the wetter I got. Oh well.

Here's some videos and pics.

Driver Full Speed

Driver Slow Motion

9 Iron Full Speed

9 Iron Slow Motion

View of my right heel and hip position at impact. Feel like I am doing a much better job with the irons of keeping

my right heel planted longer and not spinning out.

Same view with driver. Not quite as good of a job of keeping that right heel planted with the driver but I am working on it.

Thanks for any feedback ahead of time. Hitting the range again Tuesday morning before work to keep putting in the hours.

IF you properly sequence your arms, you wont have to worry about your lower body. Speeding up your arms to make them outrace your body should be your number one goal. Even if you focus on slowing down your hips, you will still cast as you are doing now. Do this drill like I explained earlier but feel as if your arms go first and everything else follows. Video yourself and you'll see the amount of lag/forward shaft lean will be much improved.

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by jd924

IF you properly sequence your arms, you wont have to worry about your lower body. Speeding up your arms to make them outrace your body should be your number one goal. Even if you focus on slowing down your hips, you will still cast as you are doing now. Do this drill like I explained earlier but feel as if your arms go first and everything else follows. Video yourself and you'll see the amount of lag/forward shaft lean will be much improved.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEQLK5v0jjY

Alright I will. I did some work at the range holding off for a second before I swing, and I already really feel in my new swing like I am swinging all arms.

I have only been back playing for a month or so and I have been doing all this stuff really wrong for my whole life. Trying to think about hips and plane and right heel and shoulder turn and keeping head steady and blah blah. So much to correct. Kinda get overloaded sometimes.

I am hitting the range in the morning though and I will dedicate a lot of time (honestly probably most of it) to stopping at the the top for a few seconds and letting my arms go first. Will get back to you tomorrow with my results.

Thanks again for the feedback jd. I really appreciate it.

No problem man. I am going through the same exact thing as you so I know the feeling. Forget about everything else and work on that drill and maybe post the video of you doing the drill.

No problem man. I am going through the same exact thing as you so I know the feeling. Forget about everything else and work on that drill and maybe post the video of you doing the drill.

Couldn't video it today. It was sprinkling at the range and I was by myself. Didn't want to get my phone wet.

Do you have trouble striking the ball well when you stop for a few seconds at the top? It feels like my arms lose all sense of the slot after I stop and I can't strike the ball well at all. Fat, thin, the whole lot. I strike it so badly I couldn't hardly notice any positive results. Maybe its just going to take alot of pracitce. Stopping just makes it feel like I have never hit a golf before lol. I feel so awkward and confused after I stop.

If it feels normal, you are doing it wrong atleast at first. I'm not saying hold the wrist angle, as you should NEVER do this but your handle of the club should feel uncomfortably forward at impact. This will feel weird because you are used to hitting the ball at your back leg not your front. If you are still having trouble with pausing at the top, make half swings and pause. Its a drill, all you want to see is the club parallel to the ground when your left hand is over your right thigh. Hitting it well with the drill doesnt matter you need to video tape yourself to make sure you are hitting the position with the club parallel to the ground over your right thigh (face on view).

Update:

Tried what you said JD924 and was struggling with getting it right so I did some more research and the thought I am using which is doing the same thing I think is to get my right elbow back over my right hip. Feel like it helps me get more lag and in a better position at impact. Still working. Still not getting as far as I want and getting as much lag as I want but ball striking has felt alot better.

Here's some videos and a pic.

Here's a 3 Iron DTL

And a 5 Iron from the side and DTL

And a comparison to a picture mvmac showed me of the Duffdaddy. I feel like I am getting closer. Still am not getting that right elbow back over my right hip enough. Maybe I am coming from inside a little too much and it doesn't have enough room to clear. Not sure just gotta keep plugging at it. Either way I feel like I have better lag and shaft lean.

Looks I am still not keeping that right heel down long enough too.

Thanks for any feedback in advance!

Edit: Also wondering if maybe my right elbow is getting too far back behind me. Like almost past the seam. Couldn't that make it harder to get the elbow back around in front of my hip?

I wouldnt worry about your right elbow. Everytime I tries to focus on that i ended up being stuck with the face way open and no shaft lean. Honestly i think you need to stop making full speed swings if you actually want to tackle this. Everything should half speed and videoing everything. Make half swings until you get that position duf is in. Keep making them longer until its up to a full swing. Think 10% speed half swing at first.

I wouldnt worry about your right elbow. Everytime I tries to focus on that i ended up being stuck with the face way open and no shaft lean. Honestly i think you need to stop making full speed swings if you actually want to tackle this. Everything should half speed and videoing everything. Make half swings until you get that position duf is in. Keep making them longer until its up to a full swing. Think 10% speed half swing at first.

I hit the range everyday its just hard to drag my fiancee out to the range to record it. I have tried sitting my phone on my bag and all kinds of stuff but it never leads to good footage. I haven't had any issues with leaving the face open thinking about the right elbow actually. It's the only swing thought i have found so far that helps me produce any lag. My miss since I have been doing that is actually a hook not a block so releasing the face isn't an issue.

Do you have a hard time when you make full swings with trying to crush the ball? Sometimes even if I think easy swing right before I hit it I get the club going down and I just black out muscle the hell out of it. (With what little muscle I have lol.)

Going to try the half swings and stuff tomorrow

Go buy a Casio zr 10 off eBay really cheap and perfect for slow motion videos it's what I have. Plus it fits on my golf bag perfectly right above the little grab handle I position it if that makes sense. If I try to crush anything I revert back to old habits of my body getting way out in front with my arms behind me. My current feel with a full swing is backswing then I feel like I pull my arms down half way before I ever shift my weight. It's just a feel to speed up my arms and keep my body from getting way out in front.

Note: This thread is 3899 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!