IGNORED

Cleveland wedges??

Note: This thread is 3750 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was checking out new wedges to add to my set and came across Cleveland CG15 wedges. But there seems to be a lot of different models of the CG15s and can't really seem to find the differences between each one. I think I heard that the "Zip Grooves" were going to be illegal in 2024 so there's a newer "Tour Zip Grooves", but what are the differences between CG15 Issue, DSG, and the original?? Thanks

I'm not 100% sure but t he ones that say "tour zip grooves" are conforming, "zip grooves" are nonconforming.  There is little difference in performance difference between the two sets of grooves when playing from the fairway and making clean contact with the ball.  Even shots from the rough/sand I don't think you'll see that much difference.  The latest wedges from all OEM's are pretty good when it comes to the groove stuff.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm not 100% sure but the ones that say "tour zip grooves" are conforming, "zip grooves" are nonconforming.  There is little difference in performance difference between the two sets of grooves when playing from the fairway and making clean contact with the ball.  Even shots from the rough/sand I don't think you'll see that much difference.  The latest wedges from all OEM's are pretty good when it comes to the groove stuff.

ok thanks, and when you mean conforming you mean like they are allowed within the rules right?

I'm not 100% sure but the ones that say "tour zip grooves" are conforming, "zip grooves" are nonconforming.

You are correct. When the new grooves rule took effect in 2010, the Cleveland CG14 wedges had been around for about two years. The CG15 and CG16 arrived with the new grooves, and had Tour Zip on the clubheads.

Cleveland then produced a legacy version of the CG14 with the new Tour Zip grooves. The conforming CG14 Tour Zip wedges have a black gelback insert on the back of the clubhead, rather than the gold insert of the original CG14s.

As for the Cleveland DSG wedges, these normally have a copper finish to them. DSG stands for dynamic sole grind. The CG15 DSG wedges have lower head bounce (8* or less), and more metal shaved away from the toe and heel on the sole. Players who roll the clubface open or closed a lot for partial shots often choose a DSG, or similar sole grinds from Vokey.

Most OEM reps recommend that average golfers avoid DSG wedges.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I have both the tour issue and retail versions, in 54 and 60 degrees respectively. Both are conforming under the new rules, and the heads perform pretty well. I like the brushed finish on the tour issue, but the retail chrome 60˚ is my preferred club around the greens. Part of the reason I chose them was to get 2 nice cast wedges for cheap that are also tournament ready should I ever enter one. For that, they have performed adequately. I did play the stock shaft in the retail one for a while and it worked OK on partial shots, but I like the X flex KBS black nickel wedge shafts I put in for full shots and distance control on pitches.

If you have the money though, I'll say I'd get a set of Mizuno wedges for 50$ or so more each, they are the nicest wedges I've seen in their price range. For what I paid for the Clevelands, I'd be better off getting a Mizuno 60˚ and a gap wedge matching my irons, as the sand wedge never really gets used. I mostly need more practice time with both of them before either can be as grooved as my irons in terms of ballstriking, so replacing them isn't really a concern for this season. That's also why I went for cast wedges instead of forged, so I'd get more durability.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

ok thanks, and when you mean conforming you mean like they are allowed within the rules right?

Correct, OEM's can manufacture them and they can be played after 2024.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I wouldn't worry too much about these non conforming zip grooves unless your pro, I have the cg16's with DSG, and they're great! I was informed they're still allowed in amateur club comps for years to come, and wedges won't last 10 years anyway, so just get what works best for you and leave all that serious stuff to the serious people!

Gaz Lee

Note: This thread is 3750 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!