IGNORED

New Player Looking for advice on clubs

Note: This thread is 3741 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am just getting into the sport. I have some really old clubs that I am not too crazy about but they were my dad's and free. I would like to invest some money into some clubs for myself. I am going to buy used as I don't see spending the extra cash on new clubs at this point. I am trying to keep my price point under $350. There are 2 deals I am looking at. First was a set of Taylor Made Rocket Blade Irons PW-4. The reviews look good but I don't know know how well I would do with them as a beginner. They looked like these http://taylormadegolf.com/taylormade/rocketbladez-irons/DW-JN933.html but not sure if they are the exact same ones. They are asking $320. I am not sure if the grips are upgraded or not. Shafts are Stiff.

The others were a mixed set of Callaways. The 3-6 are RAZR X and the 7-PW are 3-6 are RAZR X Forged Shafts are Stiff flex Royal Precision Project X Rifle Steel. Grips are almost new Lamkin X10 Rubber Grips. The person is asking $325 but I could probably get him a little lower.

Both sets are in great shape and look lightly used. They are certainly in better shape then the clubs I have know (Spaulding Executives from like 1994).

Any thoughts, comments, recommendations? Thanks.

I have two pieces of advice. No matter what you do:

1. Never buy clubs without hitting them first. Reviews are great, but they mean nothing about how the specific club will perform for you. Therefore hitting the irons first is a must.
  2. If you insist on buying used, take them to a reputable golf shop and make sure that the shaft length and lie angle are appropriate for you. A full fitting is best, but at the minimum, you need to make sure that shaft length, shaft flex, and lie angle are correct.

Without knowing anything about your swing or abilities, it's hard to say if those irons are appropriate for you. That's why hitting them is paramount. Good luck to you.

Tyler Martin

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks for the tip. There is a PGA store near by. I can usually find most clubs there and hit some with them. I can also get a fitting. I am still working on my swing so it may be hard to determine what is right for me at this point. I just hate practicing with clubs I don't like.

I guess I should add, are these decent clubs for a new player? Are they forgiving? Are they too much club for me. I haven't even got out to a course yet. I am still just hitting balls at the range. I have taken a lesson and may take a few more.

I guess I should add, are these decent clubs for a new player? Are they forgiving? Are they too much club for me. I haven't even got out to a course yet. I am still just hitting balls at the range. I have taken a lesson and may take a few more.

They may be a little less forgiving than what you might want. However, give them a try at the PGA store and see what you think.

Tyler Martin

At your level I might recommend something a little more forgiving. I would recommend having a look at the Adams Super S irons as a start. You get a  very playable iron without being over the top chunky + you get 2 good hybrids (3-4h and 5-PW) for about the price or less that you get 4-AW/ GW with many other mainstream OEMs.

I have found Adams be be about the best bank for buck on the market and at about $450 is not too much over your budget for new irons with the hybrids included. Just a thought

I would recommend the Taylormade Burner PLUS irons - they're on sale for $259 most everyplace ... they are what I learned on & are great beginner clubs.    Look for "super game improvement" clubs, not "game improvement" clubs like the RBZ

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

I am just getting into the sport. I have some really old clubs that I am not too crazy about but they were my dad's and free. I would like to invest some money into some clubs for myself. I am going to buy used as I don't see spending the extra cash on new clubs at this point. I am trying to keep my price point under $350. There are 2 deals I am looking at. First was a set of Taylor Made Rocket Blade Irons PW-4. The reviews look good but I don't know know how well I would do with them as a beginner. They looked like these http://taylormadegolf.com/taylormade/rocketbladez-irons/DW-JN933.html but not sure if they are the exact same ones. They are asking $320. I am not sure if the grips are upgraded or not. Shafts are Stiff.

The others were a mixed set of Callaways. The 3-6 are RAZR X and the 7-PW are 3-6 are RAZR X Forged Shafts are Stiff flex Royal Precision Project X Rifle Steel. Grips are almost new Lamkin X10 Rubber Grips. The person is asking $325 but I could probably get him a little lower.

Both sets are in great shape and look lightly used. They are certainly in better shape then the clubs I have know (Spaulding Executives from like 1994).

Any thoughts, comments, recommendations? Thanks.

Either will work fine. No one can tell you which club to take or not. Its up to you. How do they look, how do they interact with the ground, how do they feel when you swing, and how is the ball flight? only you are able to decide which clubs are best for you.

Honestly I think most clubs today are plenty forgiving if you stay away from muscle back irons. Clubs have come a long way to improve the sweet spot on irons. This isn't like the 90's when you had blades then you have Ping Eye 2's. Though the Razr X Forged might be a bit stout for you. That is basically a muscle back iron. Though you got to ask yourself if you have trouble getting the ball to fly higher, maximizing distance. If so then stay away from anything muscle back shape. The higher COG will lower ball flight.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Wow! Great advice all. Thank you! I got into the PGA store and got to hit some clubs. The forged I think were not for me. The other ones weren't bad but I found a few others that I hit better. I think I need to be looking for some good cavity back clubs. I hit the Callaway Diablos and they were pretty nice. The used set was a bit more beat up then I wanted but now that I hit some I know what to look for. I think Inthehole was right about "super game improving". I did notice a big difference hitting these types of clubs. I will also consider that Adams that Mozgolf mentioned. Thanks all.

Note: This thread is 3741 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!