IGNORED

My Swing (MFillyaw)

mfillyaw
Note: This thread is 3685 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Care to elaborate on this? What is causing his hooks? How would you go about fixing the problem? If you suspected this to be true then you must know right?

I would like to hear @freedrop expound on this as well. I'm all ears.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

please see

http://thesandtrap.com/t/61376/5sk-video-thread

"There is no reason to listen to me. I am merely voicing my opinion on certain aspects of golf mechanics that I have experimented with along with others I have read about and watched." - freedrop, on himself [Source]

User was banned February 22, 2014 for multiple violations.

please see [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/t/61376/5sk-video-thread]http://thesandtrap.com/t/61376/5sk-video-thread[/URL]

That's not expounding, that's parroting others. Your own words please.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

is this what they mean by taking the hands out of the swing? I've been working on letting the club head just fall through the impact zone without and guidance from the hands. I'm very comfortable doing it with short irons and have noticed some great results. but with anything longer than an 8 iron I struggle. both of these side profile vids were 6 irons. It also looks like rory is using a shorter iron, maybe a wedge. Do you think his shaft angle would be the same at this point if he was using say a 4 or 5 iron?

Not really. Taking the hands out is just a feeling to do something. It doesn't mean it will happen or not, or will do what you think it does. That is why feeling something happen isn't really a great way to explain things. Video is the best so far. For example, I have a very long swing. For me to be at parallel to the top, I have to hit shots at 50% the feel in the backswing length. That gets me parallel. So think about that a bit, 50% my backswing length equals a full swing. See how feel isn't real.

Tiger woods sure does have that shaft in a good position for a long iron. Yes for every iron you want the left hand ahead of the ball, preferably the hands will be inline with the shoulder and the ball at impact. So, getting the hands more forward at A6, which is shaft parallel to the ground in the downswing helps. Even Tiger's hands were even a bit more forward he can get to the ball just fine. That position is pretty much ideal, left hand near the center of the stance when shaft is parallel to the ground. If it is further back, then the club will flip into the ball.

please see

http://thesandtrap.com/t/61376/5sk-video-thread

You seriously just posted a link to this forum's 5sk video thread? Ok, thanks for the props.

Yep that link shows great information about the 5 keys to a golf swing, basically 5 thinks all the great golfers have in common.

If you really wanted to answer that question I would recommend looking up the "Ball Flight Laws". Then studying the 5 key videos, and some of the other information threads in the "Swing Thoughts" section to be able to piece together what causes a hook. Since you didn't do that or elaborate on that, your mission is a failure. You have noy answered my question.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

That's not expounding, that's parroting others. Your own words please.

Ernie...please read the 5 keys....I posted my thoughts re adjusting your swing on your thread,I got no response,I assumed you didn't care,why would I continue with you?

I asked the OP about hooking problems and he said he had them as his swing would suggest.

"There is no reason to listen to me. I am merely voicing my opinion on certain aspects of golf mechanics that I have experimented with along with others I have read about and watched." - freedrop, on himself [Source]

Ernie...please read the 5 keys....I posted my thoughts re adjusting your swing on your thread,I got no response,I assumed you didn't care,why would I continue with you?

I asked the OP about hooking problems and he said he had them as his swing would suggest.

So what in his swing suggests he has a hooking problem? You still can't answer the question. The answer is not in the instructional videos of the 5 keys by the way.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

Ernie...please read the 5 keys....I posted my thoughts re adjusting your swing on your thread,I got no response,I assumed you didn't care,why would I continue with you? I asked the OP about hooking problems and he said he had them as his swing would suggest.

I ignored your advice because you have yet to establish any credibility. Zero. Zip. Nada.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Not really. Taking the hands out is just a feeling to do something. It doesn't mean it will happen or not, or will do what you think it does. That is why feeling something happen isn't really a great way to explain things. Video is the best so far. For example, I have a very long swing. For me to be at parallel to the top, I have to hit shots at 50% the feel in the backswing length. That gets me parallel. So think about that a bit, 50% my backswing length equals a full swing. See how feel isn't real.

Tiger woods sure does have that shaft in a good position for a long iron. Yes for every iron you want the left hand ahead of the ball, preferably the hands will be inline with the shoulder and the ball at impact. So, getting the hands more forward at A6, which is shaft parallel to the ground in the downswing helps. Even Tiger's hands were even a bit more forward he can get to the ball just fine. That position is pretty much ideal, left hand near the center of the stance when shaft is parallel to the ground. If it is further back, then the club will flip into the ball.

wow, certainly a lot to remember. it is crazy to see just how forward his weight is. I always thought getting your weight and hips forward would lead to a slice. do you know of any drills that helps with getting the left hand forward, ala the belt buckle drill in the video you posted a while back when we were talking about hip rotation?

wow, certainly a lot to remember. it is crazy to see just how forward his weight is. I always thought getting your weight and hips forward would lead to a slice. do you know of any drills that helps with getting the left hand forward, ala the belt buckle drill in the video you posted a while back when we were talking about hip rotation?

A little information to help you out.

http://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/ball_flight_laws

Basically the ball starts were the face is pointing and curves away from that start point depending on the relationship between the face angle and swing path. So lets assume you line up square to the target line. If you swing 5 degrees inside to out, and your clubface is 3 degrees open to the target line, you will hit a push draw since the clubface is angled more left than the path.

So how does this relate to weight forward. Well weight forward shifts the arc on which the club travels. Basically it transposes the arc laterally. So, you are pushing that arc forward. So to understand this you have to realize that the clubhead never travels on a straight line. It travels on an arch, that means in the follow through it travels back inward. At some point the clubhead has to come back in. So the weight foward takes this arc foward. How we deliver the clubhead with our hands and arms will turn and tilt this swing path. So you can have weight foward, and if you throw the clubhead outside the hands in the backswing, you will hit a pull, pull cut, or pull draw. If you deliver the clubead from the inside you will hit a push, push draw or push cut. All Tour golfers have their weight forward at impact, usually 90+% of the weight is forward. From there it is how your arms and hands work in relation to the club that determines the path and face angle. All the weight forward does is give you a chance to do this in the most consistent way, and create power.

Here is an example of how the clubhead travels on an arc,

Notice how tiger's golf swing, the clubhead goes back and up, then comes down from the inside, strikes the ball and goes up and in to the finish. NEVER does it travel in a straight line. That is a myth, you can not keep the club traveling down the target line. All that matters is were the ball is in relation to the clubhead on the arc and how the face is positioned relative to the swing path. From there its a matter of consistency and aiming.

Edit

Here is a video I posted on your thread earlier,,

Just as the video shows, work with slow methodical motions to ingrain that feeling of the hands getting more forward. So, basically do the what Mike is doing on the right hand side of the video, but in very slow motion. Get the feeling of that left hand is more toward the center of your stance and the shaft is parallel to the ground, not aiming towards your right foot.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post

I ignored your advice because you have yet to establish any credibility. Zero. Zip. Nada.
Quote:

Ernie ....you ignored me as you point out yet now ask me to expound ......which do you want?

• Administrator
[CONTENTEMBED=/t/72641/my-swing-mfillyaw#post_953115 layout=inline]Quote:[/CONTENTEMBED] [QUOTE name="freedrop" url="/t/72641/my-swing-mfillyaw/18#post_953374"]   Ernie ....you ignored me as you point out yet now ask me to expound ......which do you want? [/QUOTE] He ignored you because it was his right in his "My Swing" thread. You absolutely fail to expand on your ideas (possibly because they're not at all your ideas). EJ is asking you to expand on what you said. That he didn't want you polluting his thread is not relevant. But once again, your pattern repeats: you leave your freedroppings all over the place, but fail to pick them up (by explaining what you mean). As for your amazing predictive powers for "knowing" he'd hit a hook… Uhm… [QUOTE name="mfillyaw" url="/t/72641/my-swing-mfillyaw#post_953115"]   [COLOR=FF0000][COLOR=000000] My typical ball flight is: [/COLOR][COLOR=000000]Draw[/COLOR][/COLOR] The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Snap Hook, and Chunking it [/QUOTE] Not exactly so amazing anymore… @mfillyaw , I apologize. This will be back to your swing thread soon. I promise.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

A little information to help you out.

http://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/ball_flight_laws

Basically the ball starts were the face is pointing and curves away from that start point depending on the relationship between the face angle and swing path. So lets assume you line up square to the target line. If you swing 5 degrees inside to out, and your clubface is 3 degrees open to the target line, you will hit a push draw since the clubface is angled more left than the path.

So how does this relate to weight forward. Well weight forward shifts the arc on which the club travels. Basically it transposes the arc laterally. So, you are pushing that arc forward. So to understand this you have to realize that the clubhead never travels on a straight line. It travels on an arch, that means in the follow through it travels back inward. At some point the clubhead has to come back in. So the weight foward takes this arc foward. How we deliver the clubhead with our hands and arms will turn and tilt this swing path. So you can have weight foward, and if you throw the clubhead outside the hands in the backswing, you will hit a pull, pull cut, or pull draw. If you deliver the clubead from the inside you will hit a push, push draw or push cut. All Tour golfers have their weight forward at impact, usually 90+% of the weight is forward. From there it is how your arms and hands work in relation to the club that determines the path and face angle. All the weight forward does is give you a chance to do this in the most consistent way, and create power.

Here is an example of how the clubhead travels on an arc,

Notice how tiger's golf swing, the clubhead goes back and up, then comes down from the inside, strikes the ball and goes up and in to the finish. NEVER does it travel in a straight line. That is a myth, you can not keep the club traveling down the target line. All that matters is were the ball is in relation to the clubhead on the arc and how the face is positioned relative to the swing path. From there its a matter of consistency and aiming.

Edit

Here is a video I posted on your thread earlier,,

Just as the video shows, work with slow methodical motions to ingrain that feeling of the hands getting more forward. So, basically do the what Mike is doing on the right hand side of the video, but in very slow motion. Get the feeling of that left hand is more toward the center of your stance and the shaft is parallel to the ground, not aiming towards your right foot.

Right, I thought this video was focusing on this issue. How big of an adjustment do you think this will be? This is the most I've ever delved into analyzing and improving my swing and I'm committed to doing what I have to do to improve. I just want to get an idea of how frustrating this adjustment could be for me. Any idea?

I really am not worried about my distance. I can hit the ball pretty far already, but I do think the weight back is what causes some contact issues for me.

Really appreciate you spending your morning talking with me, enjoying this discussion.

Right, I thought this video was focusing on this issue. How big of an adjustment do you think this will be? This is the most I've ever delved into analyzing and improving my swing and I'm committed to doing what I have to do to improve. I just want to get an idea of how frustrating this adjustment could be for me. Any idea?

I really am not worried about my distance. I can hit the ball pretty far already, but I do think the weight back is what causes some contact issues for me.

Really appreciate you spending your morning talking with me, enjoying this discussion.

For you, it wouldn't be too hard. Well depends on you really, but I don't think so. You have a pretty good swing, we're just tightening it up. Fixing the sway and weight forward will be easy. You already have a pretty steady head. The left wrist will take time because you have probably hit a lot of shots while flipping the clubhead at the ball.

It could be very frustrating, could be not. Look at @Ernest Jones , he was almost posted daily his elation and frustration with his swing changes :-D . Depends on your personality really. Like I don't get frustrated much because I know what to expect. I know when I practice properly I am probably not going to hit the best of shots. I am forcing an exaggerated movement. I know in the end that I trust that practice will change the swing so it becomes more natural and I can find the sweet spot to the ball again.

You'll probably end up having ups and downs. If you practice in the right way you'll make progress towards more consistency.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/54840/simple-specific-slow-short-and-success-the-five-s-s-of-great-practice, Take a look at this thread, it will guide you on how to practice.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/55426/introducing-five-simple-keys, Intro the the 5 keys all good golfers do.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/61376/5sk-video-thread, GREAT videos on practicing. Once you learn the 5 keys you can start self diagnosing your own swing. Then you can watch a few videos to get some drills.

http://thesandtrap.com/f/4088/swing-thoughts, Rest of the swing thoughts forum with some GREAT information. Best thing a person can do is self study and learn the information.

For you I would concentrate on Key number 2, and Key number 3. First hit key number 2, it helps set up everything else.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

For you, it wouldn't be too hard. Well depends on you really, but I don't think so. You have a pretty good swing, we're just tightening it up. Fixing the sway and weight forward will be easy. You already have a pretty steady head. The left wrist will take time because you have probably hit a lot of shots while flipping the clubhead at the ball.

It could be very frustrating, could be not. Look at @Ernest Jones, he was almost posted daily his elation and frustration with his swing changes . Depends on your personality really. Like I don't get frustrated much because I know what to expect. I know when I practice properly I am probably not going to hit the best of shots. I am forcing an exaggerated movement. I know in the end that I trust that practice will change the swing so it becomes more natural and I can find the sweet spot to the ball again.

You'll probably end up having ups and downs. If you practice in the right way you'll make progress towards more consistency.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/54840/simple-specific-slow-short-and-success-the-five-s-s-of-great-practice, Take a look at this thread, it will guide you on how to practice.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/55426/introducing-five-simple-keys, Intro the the 5 keys all good golfers do.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/61376/5sk-video-thread, GREAT videos on practicing. Once you learn the 5 keys you can start self diagnosing your own swing. Then you can watch a few videos to get some drills.

http://thesandtrap.com/f/4088/swing-thoughts, Rest of the swing thoughts forum with some GREAT information. Best thing a person can do is self study and learn the information.

For you I would concentrate on Key number 2, and Key number 3. First hit key number 2, it helps set up everything else.

good stuff, thanks, will try to update during my next range session

• Administrator

good stuff, thanks, will try to update during my next range session

How's it going @mfillyaw ?

BTW, I see you've succumbed to the "Add an avatar by about your 15th post or a moderator will add one for you" thing. You can change it on your profile page of course. :-)

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

How's it going @mfillyaw?

BTW, I see you've succumbed to the "Add an avatar by about your 15th post or a moderator will add one for you" thing. You can change it on your profile page of course.

ha, i was wondering who that was!

Unfortunately temps have dipped back into the 20's here in Mass and I haven't been able to get back to the range. The heaters this range has do well to heat up my body, but my hands are frozen after 2 minutes if its not closer to 40.

Been relegated to putting and mimicking my swing in the apartment.

• Administrator

ha, i was wondering who that was!

Unfortunately temps have dipped back into the 20's here in Mass and I haven't been able to get back to the range. The heaters this range has do well to heat up my body, but my hands are frozen after 2 minutes if its not closer to 40.

Been relegated to putting and mimicking my swing in the apartment.

Oh, I missed that you were in MA, I suppose.

Anyway, lots of threads here to tide you over during the winter. :)

Note: This thread is 3685 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!