• Announcements

• iacas

Create a Signature!   02/05/2016

Everyone, go here and edit your signature this week: http://thesandtrap.com/settings/signature/.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Patrick10

Advice on new set of Irons

15 posts in this topic

I'm currently in the market for a new (used) set of irons. I currently play with an old set of Titleist 962 with s300 stiff shafts, standard lie and standard length. I am a left handed amputee and use a prosthetic so I am not able to shape the ball as well as I'd like. I haven't been playing nearly as often as I used to after I played high school, but I have started seeing noticeable improvement in my game this year that warrants me to think about new clubs. I carry about a 12 handicap now but it was as low as 4 in high school and would like a set that would help me shape shots better and bite better than my worn irons, something like Titleist AP1s, but I have been out of the loop so long, I don't know what to look for. I have a huge swing speed with an average drive of about 330-340 but my approaches leave a lot to be desired. My max is about $400.

Any suggestions?

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Also, because of my swing speed, I would prefer a 3-pw instead of what seems normal now 4-gw. I have a 52, 56 and 60 Vokey with Diablo Driver and 18 degree.

Your 4 iron is about what a 3 iron used to be. The lofts have been jacked about a full club from the clubs of the 90s

I'm sorry I didn't really give a club to look at. The ap1 is a real nice club. The jpx 825 pro is nice also. Should be able to pick either up used in that range depending g on if you eBay or Amazon. Some shops may have some solid used sets in both models. Good luck and swing every club you can. It may surprise you on what you end up with. I went out with jpx ez irons and left with Adams idea super s. Again good luck.

Patrick, Does the prosthetic make fitting clubs to you difficult or unusual? Perhaps your best bet would be a visit to a proper fitting centre (Ping, Titliest, Mizuno etc)? Regards Mailman

Awards and Achievements

Your 4 iron is about what a 3 iron used to be. The lofts have been jacked about a full club from the clubs of the 90s

So does everyone play with 3 woods and 3 wedges now? I just bought a 58 degree to replace both my 56 and 60 so I could add another wood to my bag, guess I really didn't need to do that.

So does everyone play with 3 woods and 3 wedges now? I just bought a 58 degree to replace both my 56 and 60 so I could add another wood to my bag, guess I really didn't need to do that.

Play what ya need! I've now got 5 wedges in the bag, pw, aw, 2 x sw & a lw! Irons up to 5i, a 3h and driver, still got room for one more club, it won't be another wedge though! I'm thinking a 1h

It's all about your gaps. Some or should I say most will fill the gaps at the bottom of the bag wedges and such. Others will try and keep there gaps thru out there bag. It's all about you. I play 3 wedges and then a dri we 3 wood and 3 hybrid my irons are 4-p so it's all about your game

Average drive is 330-340 yards with one arm?? :bugout:

Average drive is 330-340 yards with one arm?? :bugout: [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/99512/] [/URL]

Amen

I'm 6'6" with super long arms, I play standard length even though I'm a tall guy. I also use a prosthetic and have a full arm, I lost my hand at the wrist.

I guess 330 is a but much, but I definitely average on the north side of 300.

Anyways, any other suggestions?

'the north side of 300'

What a fabulous address for a golfer.

Don't let these 'nattering nabobs of negativity' get you down, play your game.

i just bought some close-out Titleist VG3 irons with Nippon 950 shafts. I like 'em.

You need to consider the shaft stiffness with your powerful swing and speed.

I went with the same shafts, albeit newer, S300 stiffs and in 3-pw standard lie and length. I would love to get them for this weekend although this might be a perfect farewell for my trusty 962s, going out with my buddies on Saturday, and with my parents for Fathers day on Sunday.

Wow those VG3s look perfect, but even though work has been well, I'm still young and that is well beyond what I can afford.