IGNORED

Dallas/Fort Worth Courses...planning a vacation

green6767
Note: This thread is 5983 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am planning a vacation to the Dallas/Ft. Worth area from December 15 to the 18. I'll be hitting up the Cowboys/Eagles game that Saturday, but I definately wanted to get some golfing in. Anybody from that area on here? If so (or not), I'd like to get some advice on some decent courses to play. I'll be playing alone, so if there's anybody from around there and wants to jump in and play a round or two, let me know. Thanks!!!

In The Bag:

Driver: R7 SuperQuad 460 9.5
3 Wood: G5 w/ Graffaloy Pro Launch Stiff
3-PW: MP60's Wedges: Black Pearl 52, 56, 60Putter: White Hot #4Ball: Pro V1

Here are two for you to consider. I've never played either, but have wanted to for quite some time. They're both just outside of Dallas.

Tour 18 - Flower Mound (NW of Dallas)

They have holes that are replicas of some of the famous holes in America. I've heard from some who have played it that it's worth the trip.

The Tribute - The Colony ( N of Dallas )

They have holes designed like some of the most famous holes of the Scottish links.

I think you would enjoy either one of these courses. I'm sure neither one is cheap, though. Hope this helps.

play4him
play4him

Driver: Titleist 905R
3-Wood: Titleist 904F
Hybrid: Titleist 585 19 DegreeIrons: TitleistWedges (PW,Gap,SW,Lob): TitleistPutter: Bettinardi C04

Well, I wasn't too concerned with the price of the green fees. I of course didn't want t pay an outrageous amount either. Another thing is, I'll be taking a cab to wherever I want to play and if these courses are outside of town...the cab ride could get a bit spendy too. I hear from most people that you have to be at least 25 years old to rent a car, so thats out of the question for me. I appreciate the suggestions though. Even though its a long shot, I'll check those courses out anywa.

In The Bag:

I'd definitely second what play4him suggested - The Tribute and Tour 18. The Tribute is just 10 minutes from my house and is a great course!

Where will you be staying? If you're staying in the Irving-area (close to Texas Stadium), you can also try Cowboys Golf Club. This course is quite pricey (for me at least) at $160 but it's supposed to include food all day. It's a gorgeous and very challenging course. The only times I've played there has been when the company I work for has done their annual tournament there. But, looks like you're an Eagles fan, so maybe to whole Cowboys motif might be a turn-off for you.

Tour 18 is also not very far from the Irving area. The Tribute is about 30 miles.

There's also another favorite of mine close to where Tour 18 is. It's called Bridlewood Golf Course. Short but tight golf course. Also very pretty, with lots of oak trees.

Along the "more reasonable" greens fees, you can try Grapevine Municipal GC. It is great for a muni, and it is actually right next to the Cowboys Golf Club, so you get similar topography, at a cheaper price!

Also, any other time, if you stayed at The Four Seasons (also in Irving), you can play the TPC at Las Colinas where they play the Byron Nelson Classic. Unfortunately, it is being re-built right now in time for next year.

Hope that helps. Let us know which part of town you'll be staying and I can give you some tips on more courses close by.

Actually, Im a huge Cowboys fan. Have been all my life. My name is Dallas, so I was pretty much "forced" at a very young age a Cowboys fan. I've been to the Dallas area once before, but it was for a Rangers game.

I will be staying in Irving. Less than a mile from Texas Stadium. One of the Marriot branches...I forget. I have a hookup that has like 1.2 million points with Marriot, so we get free rooms wherever we go. Kinda nice as that just means more money for golf!!!

I did hear about the Cowboys Golf Club. I wasn't aware of any prices though. Im definately still open to course suggestions though. I will continue to check them out as you throw em at me. Im just excited to be golfing in December!!! We dont get a whole lot of "warm" weather up here in ND in December.

Be lucky to get above 0 degrees in the peak of winter up here. Haha.

In The Bag:

The stadium is in Irving right? Im staying about a mile away from the stadium. How far away is Euless?

In The Bag:

I'll second some of these suggestions. Here would be my list:

Tribute - $125, but in great condition and the holes are pretty legit
Cowboys GC - $180 for an all day pass, can play for $80 after twilight, which is the way to go
Texas Star - much cheaper, and great value
Bridlewood - is nice, about 30 minutes away
Tour 18 - fun course, most holes are close, but not really exact replicas. However, the conditions has been pretty bad and cost is $90. They have Augusta 11-13 as their 3 finishing holes and a Sawgrass 17 replica as well. the rest are average at best.

Driver: 9.5 905R 757 Speeder X stiff
3 Wood: 13.0 Sonartec GS Tour Red Ice 70X
Hybrid: 17.0 Sonartec MD Stiff UST IROD
Irons: 690cb 4-PW w/Rifle 6.0
Wedges: Cleveland 900 Series Gunmetal 50, 54, 60Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Newport 370g head

Thanks again for more suggestions. The Cowboys course looks like a lot of fun, although it didn't list any time for the twillight prices. I honestly dont know what they consider twillight hours. Anybody??? This is going to be a tough decision!

In The Bag:

• 2 months later...
Ok, bringing back this one. Its almost time for me to leave, like one more week. I have an update though on where Im staying. I will be staying at the Gaylord Texan. Right next to the Dallas Cowboys Golf Club in Grapevine.

I have figured out that Im renting a car, so I can travel to a course if need be. Im not so thrilled about the $190 price tag on the Cowboys Golf Club, so I may not play that unless its twilight hours/prices. I will checkout the Grapevine municipal though.

Any other suggestions on courses?

In The Bag:

Played Bridlewood wednesday - the greens are in amazing condition and the course is playing great.

It is close to where you are staying. I would check it out.

Also - i will say it again - hit the Texas Star in Euless - you can't go wrong there!

Ok, bringing back this one. Its almost time for me to leave, like one more week. I have an update though on where Im staying. I will be staying at the Gaylord Texan. Right next to the Dallas Cowboys Golf Club in Grapevine.

As it turns out, I will be going to that game as well (the Eagles game, right?). Should be a good one.

Double-check the Cowboys Golf Club because I think that rate gives you access to the course all day, and food is included. So you can play a couple rounds if you plan your day right. If you have a car - also check out Tour 18 in Flower Mound. It is close to Bridlewood (also recommended by another poster). Another 25 miles or so northeast is another course called The Tribute. I live about 10 minutes from this course and is one of my favorites. As Tour 18 has every hole a copy of a hole on a PGA Tour course, The Tribute has every hole a copy of a hole from a British Open course. The 1st and 18th holes copy the shared fairway of the corresponding holes at St. Andrews, for example. I don't remember how many days you were planning on being here, but those should be a good start for you!

i wont be there for very long. Just Saturday through Monday morning. I planned to play Saturday afternoon and early Sunday morning before the game. I will check out those courses again. Thanks!!!

I cant wait for that game, it should be awesome!

In The Bag:

hey green6767,

just a little advice, because i actually work at the hotel you will be staying at. Do the self parking that weekend, don't do the valet. Its going to be a very very busy weekend there, and as much as i hate to say it, but if you do the valet i guarantee you will be late for your tee times and the game. Also, are you taking the car to the game? Do you already know where you will be parking...?

cjdfw: I've never been to Dallas and actually driven there before. I will however be in the hands of a GPS unit, so that should definitely help. I will be taking the car to the game and no I have no idea where Im parking.

We do plan on going quite early, probably around Noon or so. I've never been to the stadium and I'd like to walk around before the game and watch warmups and stuff. Any suggestions for me? Thanks for the heads up with the hotel parking though!

In The Bag:

• 2 weeks later...
I haven't seen Dallas until now. This summer I was in some Grand Canyon tours because my wife wanted to visit those places and we had a great time there. In our next vacation we will certainly visit Dallas because I;ve heard that it's a great place.

Note: This thread is 5983 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!