IGNORED

OK Mizuno People: Help Me Out

iacas
Note: This thread is 6019 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
Currently I play TM RAC MB TP irons with Rifle Flighted 6.0 shafts. When I'm swinging pretty well, the ball goes pretty darn high. I don't spin the crap out of the ball (and I play the V1x), so I like a higher trajectory... but sometimes the ball gets up a bit too high.

I like the MB TPs because they're pretty "bladey" but at the same time just a teeny bit forgiving. Just a tad more so than the Titleist 695.MBs, a tad more than my Titleist 680s, and obviously less so than the 735.CMs I sometimes put in the bag.

So anyway, I'm looking at the MP-67s and the MP-32s (please don't recommend other heads, as I like pretty blade-like clubs), perhaps with project X Flighted shafts, either at 5.5 or 6.0. I played DG S300s (who didn't??) for a long time and liked or at least got used to the ball flight off those shafts, yet I like the Rifle Flighted too. The Project X Flighted should, if I understand everything correctly, be roughly in the middle depending on whether I go with 5.5 or 6.0.

I can't stand a shaft that's too light, so these all seem to be similarly weighted, and that's good. According to the RP site, a 6.0 should require a 6-iron carry of 180 yards. That's about right for me when I'm striking the ball properly, though most of the time I am geared down a notch with my irons.

Thoughts, anyone? Is this an avenue I should pursue, or am I just experiencing a wee bit of golf lust?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ok.. I'll start... I've never hit the RAC MB TP although i have held them, and for some reason i felt a really good connection with them, IMO they are one of the best looking blades in the market. I wouldn't be surprise if by the same time next year I have a set.

The 32's I've hit on a few occasions into a net only, felt great, i did feel the ball jumping a bit higher than normal with the 6i. Obviously i have the 67's so I'm bias to them, only from the stand point that I've thoroughly tested them. My original shaft selection for the 67's was to go 3-5 with Flighted PX 6.0( for tight pin placements) and PX 6.0 6-pw. I had a few pro's advise the good and bad ultimately i stayed with PX6.0 all the way through due to being a predominantly high ball striker to begin with. My ss with 6i at 85% is at 92 i can get it in upwards of 98+ so that should put somewhere more towards a 6.5, it didnt feel confortable for me at all at 6.5.

The trajectory was night and day for me compare to dgs300/400. I got the ball up farely quickly with the DGS300 with a high ball flight, I knew facing against any wind i would be dead in the water if a knock down shot not played.

The PX sticks was a different story. I got a good penetrating trajectory and still kept my ball high, as a high as ball striker likes them. I think what was just as impresive was hitting knock down shot as well and still keeping roughly the same distance.

I think from what you're indicating the RAC MB's to have a high ball flight, i think you may find it the same with the 32's and 67's.
HiBore XL Tour 10.5* Fujikura Speeder 652 Tour Spec X-Flex
HiBore 15* FW Aldila 70-S "Proto By You"
Hibore 2i Aldila 80-S "Proto By you"
MP-67 3-pw *Project X 6.0
MP-R Black Nickel wedges 52*-7 56*-10 60*-5 *Project X 6.0 GM2 Exchange #6 Staff Bag

• Administrator
I think from what you're indicating the RAC MB's to have a high ball flight, i think you may find it the same with the 32's and 67's.

I like a higher ball flight. I get a little more distance that way and I can still hit the knockdown when needed. I'm not sure the RAC MBs hit the ball high themselves, but rather my swing and the Rifle Flighted shafts do. If anything, I'd like just a teeny bit lower ball flight - I'm not looking for a big change. I'm a high-ball hitter and don't expect that to change.

You swing a lot faster than I do. My driver swing speed is only about 108, so I'm certain my 6-iron swing speed ain't gonna approach 95. Still, I have the Rifle Flighted 6.0's and really like those, so that's why I'm undecided on the PX 6.0/5.5. Add that to the fact that I'm undecided between the PX Flighted and the PX as well as the 67 or the 32s... and you can see why I've got a lot of decisions to make. By my calculations, with two things to consider in three sets, I'm looking at eight different combinations of things (2^3): 32/5.5/PXF 32/5.5/PX 32/6.0/PXF 32/6.0/PX 67/5.5/PXF 67/5.5/PX 67/6.0/PXF 67/6.0/PX

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

DGS300 = 5.75 on rifle scale. Just remember the Flighted sets have exaggerated kick points for the 2-4 (little higher ball fight) and 8-P shafts (little lower ball flight). The middle irons are a 'standard' ball flight. So if you're middle irons are the only ones you're not happy with then I'd suggest replacing just those with similar specs as your short irons.

That being said, you may like the Project X's given their slightly heavier weight and more penetrating ball flight. The Project X's will feel stiffer due to how they are constructed.

Another option is to hard-step the shafts, to create a lower ball flight. This can still be done with any Rifle shaft.

Since I'm a Certified Rifle Center (soon to be an Advanced CRC) I use Rifle Blank shafts, so I am able to create any frequency or ball flight desired for any given iron.

I still have my old Mizuno's MP30 (4-6) MP32 (7-P), I'm more than happy to build you a demo or two with the PX shafts for you two try.

• Administrator
DGS300 = 5.75 on rifle scale.

Thanks. Between the Rifle Flighted and the Project X Flighted, though, what would the differences really be?

Just remember the Flighted sets have exaggerated kick points for the 2-4 (little higher ball fight) and 8-P shafts (little lower ball flight). The middle irons are a 'standard' ball flight. So if you're middle irons are the only ones you're not happy with then I'd suggest replacing just those with similar specs as your short irons.

I'm reasonably happy, as I said, with just about all of my ball flights with the Flighted Rifles I have in play now.

That being said, you may like the Project X's given their slightly heavier weight and more penetrating ball flight. The Project X's will feel stiffer due to how they are constructed.

That's my understanding, too: is a 6.0 Project X Flighted going to feel a bit stiffer than a 6.0 Rifle Flighted. But... by about how much? 0.2? A full 0.5?

Another option is to hard-step the shafts, to create a lower ball flight. This can still be done with any Rifle shaft.

Possibly. I'm not ruling that out... I'm gathering info here, and this helps.

Since I'm a Certified Rifle Center (soon to be an Advanced CRC) I use Rifle Blank shafts, so I am able to create any frequency or ball flight desired for any given iron.

OK. I'm quite likely going to simply get a pretty standard setup across the whole set. I'm just trying to figure out which of the

I still have my old Mizuno's MP30 (4-6) MP32 (7-P), I'm more than happy to build you a demo or two with the PX shafts for you two try.

Perhaps down the road. Right now I'm just trying to wrap my head around everything so I can get a sense of where I'm likely to want to head.

DG S300s and Rifle Flighted 6.0s both work pretty well for my swing. I'm happy with the ball flight of both. I mean, I may decide in the end to just stick with Rifle Flighteds, so perhaps I should take a step back: what advantages would I have in playing the PX or PXF? And if they feel stiffer, and given my swing speed (I do have a fairly fast tempo), would I likely want to go with a 5.5 or a 6.0 in the PX/PXF? And finally, between the PX and PXF, what's the difference between them, particularly as they compare to my current shafts?

You've already gotten so much info on the shafts. How about the heads? MP-32 and MP-67? You've got good eyes and you just can't go wrong with those two. I tried them both and honestly MP-67 is a bit more intimidating than MP-32 or it's just perhaps because I know I'm holding MP-67, I don't know. They both have superior feel to them, but I think MP-67 is tiny bit better.

You mentioned you like higher ball flight and guess what? MP-67 is 1 degree weaker than MP-32. Although not much, that should complement the shaft you're gonna pick.

All have been laid out on the table and the decision is yours. Choose your weapon carefully.

P.S: I just can't stop staring at your avatar.

What's in the bag:
Driver: r7 SuperQuad 10.5° ~ UST Proforce V2 65g Regular
Wood: 906F4 18.5° ~ Aldila VS Proto 80g Stiff
Irons: MP-60 3-PW ~ True Temper Tour Concept S3
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 252.08, SM56.10 & SM60.08Putter: Marxman Mallet 33"

• Administrator
All have been laid out on the table and the decision is yours. Choose your weapon carefully.

Thanks for the info, but I assure you all has not been laid out. I'm probably 10% of the way towards making a decision of any kind, let alone the final decision. I'm still seeking more information from both the people I trust as well as the general body...

Why not try the MP57. I be glad when I can.

Driver: Cobra HS9 X 9.0 YS Stiff
Hybrid: Cobra baffler DWS 16* NV Stiff
Hybrid: Cobra baffler DWS 20* NV Stiff
Irons: King Cobra FP 4-LW
Putter: Cobra Optica SL-01 Ball: Bridgestone B330

Between the Rifle Flighted and the Project X Flighted, though, what would the differences really be? What advantages would I have in playing the PX or PXF?

Slightly heavier ~3-5 grams, lower and more penetrating ball flight is the main key with the Project X.

That's my understanding, too: is a 6.0 Project X Flighted going to feel a bit stiffer than a 6.0 Rifle Flighted. But... by about how much? 0.2? A full 0.5?

~.3 which is about the same as hardstepping.

And if they feel stiffer, and given my swing speed (I do have a fairly fast tempo), would I likely want to go with a 5.5 or a 6.0 in the PX/PXF?

I don't remember your iron ss but I'm leaning towards 6.0 right now. Also you're not limited to increments of .5, sets can be built in increments of .1 like 5.9 or 6.3 for example.

And finally, between the PX and PXF, what's the difference between them, particularly as they compare to my current shafts?

The Flighted sets have exaggerated kick points for the 2-4 (little higher ball fight) and 8-P shafts (little lower ball flight). The middle irons are a 'standard' ball flight. Standard sets are all based off of the middle iron bend points.

Project X - Stiffest butt section (Hence the very stiff feel). Stiffer tip than regular Rifles but not as much as DG. A little softer mid-section creating a high initial launch but a penetrating (low-spin) ball flight. Rifles - Softer butt section than PX and softer tip than PX and DG. Dynamic Gold - Softest butt section and stiffest in tip and midsection. Then have a lower initial launch than PX but have a little more spin. Within DG you have several options as well like S200, S300, S400 etc

All I can contribute to this discussion is that I bought Mizzy blades from EBay..dont know anything about shaft specs. The irons are magic. My bag will have Mizuno for the rest of my life.

In the bag:
905R 9.5* Fujikura Speeder S
X 15* Fujikura R
X 19* Fujikura S
4-P MP-14 TT DGS300 53* 588 Gunmetal MP series 56-14 TT wedge MP-R 60-09 Rifle SpinnerDFX Two ball Pro V1

I like a higher ball flight. I get a little more distance that way and I can still hit the knockdown when needed. I'm not sure the RAC MBs hit the ball high themselves, but rather my swing and the Rifle Flighted shafts do. If anything, I'd like just a teeny bit lower ball flight - I'm not looking for a big change. I'm a high-ball hitter and don't expect that to change.

have the clubs built to a 5.7 and your flex issues will be solved. Now you just have to decide on head and flighted or not.

In My Bag
Driver: R5 TP 9.5 Diamana
3 Wood: V-Steel 15* UST V2
5 Wood: R7 Steel
Hybrids: Heavenwood 20* UST V2 Rescue Mid 22* UST V2Irons: RAC LT2 5-9 Project X FlightedWedges: RAC Black TP 47* 51* 55* 60*Putter: White Hot 2 BallBalls: One Black

• Administrator
Slightly heavier ~3-5 grams, lower and more penetrating ball flight is the main key with the Project X.

OK. Good...

~.3 which is about the same as hardstepping.

OK, good. So they'd be about a 6.3 in my current shaft, so that's good...

I don't remember your iron ss but I'm leaning towards 6.0 right now. Also you're not limited to increments of .5, sets can be built in increments of .1 like 5.9 or 6.3 for example.

Oh, awesome. I may just have to take advantage of that and really hone in on the proper setup.

Everardo, perhaps by the end of October (if you're able to go to Pinehurst, and I hope you are), I can narrow things down and you can put some shafts in your clubs and bring them so I can see what they feel like.
The Flighted sets have exaggerated kick points for the 2-4 (little higher ball fight) and 8-P shafts (little lower ball flight). The middle irons are a 'standard' ball flight. Standard sets are all based off of the middle iron bend points.

Yeah, I like that... I mean, I've enjoyed using the Rifle Flighted and have liked the ball flights with all the clubs, really. If anything, the heads might help me hit the ball a bit lower more than anything I'm looking to do with the shafts. I'll have to compare the current heads I've got to the two Mizuno heads I'm considering.

Project X - Stiffest butt section (Hence the very stiff feel). Stiffer tip than regular Rifles but not as much as DG. A little softer mid-section creating a high initial launch but a penetrating (low-spin) ball flight.

So it sounds like the PX the PX is kind of between the DG and the Rifles... I mean, you say "stiffer tip than regular rifles but not as much as DG," which really sounds about like what I'm looking for. And I've liked the ball flight with my Rifle Flighted shafts, so I'm leaning towards the PX Flighteds. Sometimes the Rifles just feel a tad too soft, so it looks like I'm headed in the right direction.

Thanks, Everardo.
have the clubs built to a 5.7 and your flex issues will be solved. Now you just have to decide on head and flighted or not.

5.7 or 5.85 or something in that area, yeah. I'll have to compare the heads, yeah. I wish the Mizuno site had something like the Titleist site: it specifically said "the 680 is good for sweepers who don't have a steep swing" and "the 670 is good for golfers with a steeper, more downward swing" and yada yada. I'll have to look at the sole widths and bounce angles and launch angles and all that myself to figure that out, though... won't be hard. Just have to do it eventually.

Thanks to anyone who's helped and to anyone who helps in the future, too.

I have hit both and I get a higher flight from the 32, but I have a fairly steep swing and tend to hit the ball pretty high. I think you are really going to just have to hit both and see which flight you like better. I dont know if there is really any other way to narrow them down.
In My Bag
Driver: R5 TP 9.5 Diamana
3 Wood: V-Steel 15* UST V2
5 Wood: R7 Steel
Hybrids: Heavenwood 20* UST V2 Rescue Mid 22* UST V2Irons: RAC LT2 5-9 Project X FlightedWedges: RAC Black TP 47* 51* 55* 60*Putter: White Hot 2 BallBalls: One Black

Iacas after you get your new clubs are you going to keep your MB irons? Im planing to buy a set of use taylor made mb that are in great condition.

What is in my Ping bag:
Driver: R7 425 9.5*Fujikura Vistapro 70 stff
3Wood: An old 15* Graphite Stiff.
5Wood: R7 ST 18* Mid point RE-AX 70 Stff
7Wood: Tight lies 21* Graphite StffIrons: An old set of EYE2+ 4-PW Steel StiffWedge: vokey SM 54*10 and 60*08Putter: Studio Style Newport 1.5Balls...

• Administrator
Iacas after you get your new clubs are you going to keep your MB irons? Im planing to buy a set of use taylor made mb that are in great condition.

Yes, I'll be keeping them... for the same reason I have kept my 735.CMs. They're in the bag now because my MB TP 5-iron is being re-shafted. :) Gotta have a backup set (or two).

Yes, I'll be keeping them... for the same reason I have kept my 735.CMs. They're in the bag now because my MB TP 5-iron is being re-shafted. :) Gotta have a backup set (or two).

Cool man, you just look like a nice person to do bussines with

What is in my Ping bag:
7Wood: Tight lies 21* Graphite StffIrons: An old set of EYE2+ 4-PW Steel StiffWedge: vokey SM 54*10 and 60*08Putter: Studio Style Newport 1.5Balls...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Current thinking is: MP-67 with Project X Flighted 6.0-ish.

Just have to find the best place to grab the iron heads, 3-PW, standard loft and lie...

Current thinking is: MP-67 with Project X Flighted 6.0-ish.

Hey when you get this iron can you make a nice review. Im still deciding betwen the mp67, mp32 and the TM Rac mb. Im also thinking making a mix betwen mp60 for 3-5 irons and mp67 or 32 for 7-PW. I check your page and I see you dont have any review for mizuno irons. Why is that?

What is in my Ping bag:

Note: This thread is 6019 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!