or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mizuno Irons?

post #1 of 36
Thread Starter 
I am wanting to get some input of Mizuno irons. I have a old set from a buddy...about 10 year old set of MP-33's. They are in rough shape, so I am looking for a new set.

I still struggle to hit the MP-33's consistently...but I am coming around...about a 14-16 handicap.

I have read alot of good things about the MP-60's and the new MP-67's.

So, if you were getting a new set, and you were about to really start working on your golf game...what Mizuno iron set would you purchase?
post #2 of 36

Re: Mizuno Irons?

MP-60. More forgiving than pure blades but plays like one. 'nuff said.
post #3 of 36

Re: Mizuno Irons?

I just bought the MX-25s, but I am pretty much a bogey golfer. You might want the 60s if your game is better.
post #4 of 36

Re: Mizuno Irons?

Originally Posted by theboom View Post
I am wanting to get some input of Mizuno irons. I have a old set from a buddy...about 10 year old set of MP-33's. They are in rough shape, so I am looking for a new set.

I still struggle to hit the MP-33's consistently...but I am coming around...about a 14-16 handicap.

I have read alot of good things about the MP-60's and the new MP-67's.

So, if you were getting a new set, and you were about to really start working on your golf game...what Mizuno iron set would you purchase?
If you read more carefully, MP-60 and MP-67 are for single handicap golfer. However, I think you're "almost" good enough to use them. The key word you mentioned was "I still struggle to hit the MP-33's consistently." How inconsistent are you? Do you always hit the ball at the center of the club face "almost" everytime?

Well, I read an article somewhere that says if you're still can't hit the ball at the center of the clubface consistently, then it's better if you don't use the blade or semi-blade irons, because it will only hurt your game. Now you're 14-16 handicap and I'd really hate to see your handicap climbs up only because you're using blade/semi-blade irons. If I were you, I'd get my handicap to go down to around 6-ish, then I'd consider getting the MP-60 and MP-67. Unless you honestly think you are a golfer who can adapt and can work it out later, then go ahead. Otherwise there's MX-25.

Hope this helps.
post #5 of 36

Re: Mizuno Irons?

The MX models are designed for higher handicap players - more forgivness features - some really long too like the MX900's were.

The MP models are aimed at lower handicap players, less forgiving, but still very playable and unmatched feel and workability. MP67 the furthest in this direction.

MP60's are a blend of workability and feel but add forgiving features like perimeter weighting.

MP33's - the ones you have, are awesome! Great feel and really train you to hit the center of the face!

I play MP30's (MP60's have replaced these) but I have an MP33 6 iron to practice with for feedback and centerface strike training.

Bottom line. If you want to score your best, but only practice and play four times a month, get something easier to hit.
post #6 of 36

Re: Mizuno Irons?

I have to agree with fusioncal...at 14-16 index stick with the game improvement version. At our indices, I think hitting the ball straight would be our main priority, rather than shaping our shots.

It's not like you can't shape your shots with game improvement clubs (I still can shape a shot if I had to with my R7 CGB's). I figure I need all the help I can get to get the damned ball into that damn hole. When you get to the point where you are a solid 5-6, then consider the player's clubs.

To be honest with you even if I got to that point, I would still stick with my game improvement clubs...no shame to my game.
post #7 of 36
Thread Starter 

Re: Mizuno Irons?

thanks guys...that is what I was leaning towards...the sweetest feeling is hitting the MP-33 on the sweet spot...it is like you dont even feel the ball! but when you mis-hit it, your hands fall off, and your shot balloons to the rough.
post #8 of 36

Re: Mizuno Irons?

Originally Posted by theboom View Post
thanks guys...that is what I was leaning towards...the sweetest feeling is hitting the MP-33 on the sweet spot...it is like you dont even feel the ball! but when you mis-hit it, your hands fall off, and your shot balloons to the rough.
Well said and exactly what I was thinking. Not that you need more advice but I agree with what the others have said. Believe me, I'd love to play Cleveland CG1's but they'd look great only until I swung them. Golf is hard enough. Heck, a lot of the tour players are now going with some sort of cavity back. Play a lot and if your handicap gets into the single digits then think about the 60's. Good luck!
post #9 of 36

Re: Mizuno Irons?

The MP60's. In fact, if you can hit the MP32's or 67's in the short irons, you couldn't go wrong with a set of 4-6 mp60's and 7-pw mp32's or mp67's?
post #10 of 36

Re: Mizuno Irons?

Originally Posted by fusioncal View Post
If you read more carefully, MP-60 and MP-67 are for single handicap golfer. However, I think you're "almost" good enough to use them. The key word you mentioned was "I still struggle to hit the MP-33's consistently." How inconsistent are you? Do you always hit the ball at the center of the club face "almost" everytime?

Well, I read an article somewhere that says if you're still can't hit the ball at the center of the clubface consistently, then it's better if you don't use the blade or semi-blade irons, because it will only hurt your game. Now you're 14-16 handicap and I'd really hate to see your handicap climbs up only because you're using blade/semi-blade irons. If I were you, I'd get my handicap to go down to around 6-ish, then I'd consider getting the MP-60 and MP-67. Unless you honestly think you are a golfer who can adapt and can work it out later, then go ahead. Otherwise there's MX-25.

Hope this helps.
I'm sorry, but I disagree with the lower handicap B.S. I'm a 12 and I hit the MP32 just fine. In fact, I know when I don't. If I were to still be playing one of those huge cavity back "maximum forgiveness" sets of irons, I'd never know if I did hit a bad shot
post #11 of 36

Re: Mizuno Irons?

Just bought a set of MX-25 and couldn't be more pleased. They feel very solid, and I get the buttery feel when I hit it dead center, like the ball was never there.

There is a tendency on the tour, and many players are choosing cavity backs instead of blades. CB forgiveness does serve good players too. So they pick the Titleist 755's over the 695MB's.

I know that Mizuno doesn't have a direct competitor (in their current line anyway) to the 755's, but you might want to give Titleist sticks a try ; they are close to blades, in looks and performance, but are still forgiving.

Hope this helps
post #12 of 36

Re: Mizuno Irons?

Originally Posted by Philfest View Post
The MP60's. In fact, if you can hit the MP32's or 67's in the short irons, you couldn't go wrong with a set of 4-6 mp60's and 7-pw mp32's or mp67's?

Out of curiosity, how would you go about putting a set together like that? Buy both sets (either new or on ebay) and then mix and match? Maybe this should be its own thread, but how many of you guys mix clubs from different sets in your irons?
post #13 of 36

Re: Mizuno Irons?

Originally Posted by jorgesgolf View Post
Out of curiosity, how would you go about putting a set together like that? Buy both sets (either new or on ebay) and then mix and match? Maybe this should be its own thread, but how many of you guys mix clubs from different sets in your irons?
You can order a custom 'mixed' set from Mizuno comprised of any combination of models from MX and/or MP series.
post #14 of 36

Re: Mizuno Irons?

Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
You can order a custom 'mixed' set from Mizuno comprised of any combination of models from MX and/or MP series.

Does it cost more than say a full set of MP60s or MP67s? Do other companies do this? I have never heard of this before.
post #15 of 36

Re: Mizuno Irons?

Originally Posted by fusioncal View Post
If you read more carefully, MP-60 and MP-67 are for single handicap golfer. However, I think you're "almost" good enough to use them. The key word you mentioned was "I still struggle to hit the MP-33's consistently." How inconsistent are you? Do you always hit the ball at the center of the club face "almost" everytime?

Well, I read an article somewhere that says if you're still can't hit the ball at the center of the clubface consistently, then it's better if you don't use the blade or semi-blade irons, because it will only hurt your game. Now you're 14-16 handicap and I'd really hate to see your handicap climbs up only because you're using blade/semi-blade irons. If I were you, I'd get my handicap to go down to around 6-ish, then I'd consider getting the MP-60 and MP-67. Unless you honestly think you are a golfer who can adapt and can work it out later, then go ahead. Otherwise there's MX-25.

Hope this helps.
i ended last season around a 10 and the 60s suit me perfectly. i did swap out the 3 and 4 for the MX25's.

but to me, the MP67 and MP60s are in different leagues. i wouldn't dream of trying anything more than an 8 or 9 iron in the 67s...
post #16 of 36

Re: Mizuno Irons?

Originally Posted by jorgesgolf View Post
Does it cost more than say a full set of MP60s or MP67s? Do other companies do this? I have never heard of this before.
No, it shouldn't cost you any more i.e. based on a retail to retail comparison and if I'm not mistaken, Titleist, Callaway and the other 'big' names also offer the ability to mix. Other may be able to confirm.
post #17 of 36

Re: Mizuno Irons?

You definately can't go wrong with any model of Mizuno's you look at, but if you have ever thought about titleist, the 735s are a perfect blend of blades and cavity backs. I think mizuno irons are outstanding, but will never give up my 735s. The combo and offsets are wonderful. I would definately take a look at these.
post #18 of 36

Re: Mizuno Irons?

Anything as long as its Mizuno. I just recently started playing mizuno irons myself and they are the best feeling club i've ever put in my hands. In the last year i've owned ping, callaway, maxfli revolutions, clevelands, and none of them feel anything close to my mp-30's. They are also my first forged iron set. They looked a little intimidating to me at first but I quickly have adapted to them. My advice is to get a forged set and teach yourself how to hit them instead of buying some big clunky game improvement irons. Just my 2 cents.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting